PRC123: Plumbers - too round for sprites! (Super Mario 64)

Rexy

Okay, NOW the mixing stage is over. The entries have been verified and I think we're in for some competition.

So, all you have to do now is contribute to the voting phase. To do so, you will visit the ThaSauce link, listen to the three legibles and use the form at the bottom of the screen to order them from first to third. Contestants shouldn't vote for themselves but they will automatically get three points when they vote. Since I won PRC122, my vote counts twice, so I hope you've done enough to gain my persuasion. ;) You have until Wednesday, July 2nd at 4:59AM EST to cast your vote. The winner gets to choose the source tune for PRC124!

Eligibles

Chickenwarlord - Wasted Effort

Hylian Lemon - Life of a Goomba

just64helpin - Monsters Don't Hurt Mario

Ineliegible

NeoS - ZOMG! Shrooms!

The People's Remix Competition 123

PRCv5-19

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Last week's competition took us to some Sonic 3D Blast action, and in spite of a 24 hour extension, it was quite the active round with 4 entries to make a selection from. Once again you wanted to get me to choose the source tune for this round, and I believe I have something firm and ready for this one.

We are looking at another series that made the jump to 3D this round. Yet, as Sonic failed to make an impression the first time around, this feisty Italian plumber struck gold with one of the greatest games to be released on the Nintendo 64. Yeah, I gave the clue away too soon...!

prc123.PNG

Now, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see exactly how we are looking at a defining moment in gaming for a situation like this. To be honest, I am too; Koji Kondo has been a strong musical mind over the past few years, no doubt about it, and his material for Nintendo have been seen as defined classics regardless of the situation they were brought about for.

The score for Mario 64 was no exception to the rule either - most of it did indeed play safe though as a huge majority of the tunes fitted most of the typical feels for the different settings throughout, but it worked out really well in the long run and was responsible for some of the more upfront tunes that came to be remixed on OCR today.

The source material that is being towed in for this round is arguably the most known of the lot, if the music inside Peach's castle is taken out of the equation. It's pretty much got everything associatable with classic Mario written all over it - a catchy melodic line, the setting being happy as hell and there being enough to interpret for a wide number of different variations on this theme. I don't understand myself over why it hasn't even been remixed yet, because it was literally screaming "I want to get inside your head and leave you to whistle the tune all day long", or something.

Super Mario 64 - Main Theme

MIDI | MP3 | USF ( library)

I have the understanding that "Portrait of a Plumber" is in the works right about now, but I still think there needs to be some kind of source coverage even if that falls through. Either way, it's a requestite for a Mario main theme to obtain a bunch of remixes for itself, lol.

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, June 28th at 4:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part but their vote will be doubled.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifee, and we'll help you out.

Ah, good, I'm not the only one after all. XD

My entry is coming along nicely. Just passed the 2-minute mark, and I believe I've taken a somewhat unique approach. And you'll get an amazing piece of literature to go along with the mix, too! ;)

Eep, are you sick, just64? Hope you feel better! And not just because we need the competition, lol.

Even though there theoretically is 90 minutes to go, I think I should already grant a time extension. Two entries is looking good, but not exactly healthy for the state of the competition. I don't usually grant the extensions out until a couple of hours later til now, but since I'll be on a shopping trip for most of the morning I don't think I'll have time to manage it later.

PRC needs YOU. If you don't make mixes, then God kills a Cataquack.

Want my 'shamelessly-midi-ripped-but-still-very-cool-remix' here?

I just pimped the synths a bit and added some percussion (read: 4/4 stuff) :D

It doesn't have to be in the compo, I just wanted to hear what it would be like to have Mario trippin'.

So if any of you would like to hear it, let me know and i'll post it here. ;)

Okay, NOW the mixing stage is over. The entries have been verified and I think we're in for some competition.

So, all you have to do now is contribute to the voting phase. To do so, you will visit the ThaSauce link, listen to the three legibles and use the form at the bottom of the screen to order them from first to third. Contestants shouldn't vote for themselves but they will automatically get three points when they vote. Since I won PRC122, my vote counts twice, so I hope you've done enough to gain my persuasion. ;) You have until Wednesday, July 2nd at 4:59AM EST to cast your vote. The winner gets to choose the source tune for PRC124!

Eligibles

Chickenwarlord - Wasted Effort

Hylian Lemon - Life of a Goomba

just64helpin - Monsters Don't Hurt Mario

Ineliegible

NeoS - ZOMG! Shrooms!