OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Whether or not people play the wrong class the right way or play the right class the wrong way is indistinct. Both are equally bad.

Thank you. Well said.

no see one is 'you are not doing the very basic of what is required of you' and the other is 'you are not being serious and professional enough'

How can you not see that "doing the very basic of what is required of you" is helping your team. Exclusive battle medics nor excessive snipers fill that requirement. Your bias on the matter doesn't make them incomparable.

you'd think, but then you remember that there are griefers and achievement whores and just plain idiots. And Pyros.

lol at 'And Pyros'.

Greifing is another matter altogether though. We're talking about people who are determined to have fun, ignorant of how that effects their team. Greifers are determined to have fun by deliberately harassing their team.

How can you not see that "doing the very basic of what is required of you" is helping your team.

I can see that very clearly

what I'm saying is that you don't have to play as a certain class to help your team as long as you're making an attempt to play competently

if everyone just wanted to be super-professional let's win all of the time they'd probably have the good sense to play all soldier

One might argue that people who paid the same money you did to get this game have the right to make their own decision on what makes the game fun for them. If Battle Medic makes it fun, who the hell are you to tell them they shouldn't be a Battle Medic? If being the 4th sniper (even with how annoying it can be to you personally) makes the game fun for them, who the hell gave you the right to tell them to switch classes?

Just because they're playing the game in a way you don't agree with doesn't mean you're in the right. Yes, I know OCRemix is a good server, but if there are people on here constantly pissing you off, there are thousands of other servers to choose from. Let people have fun the way they want to.

And to be honest, I myself personally find someone being the 4th sniper annoying, and I might say something like "Do we really need 4 snipers?", but other than that I leave them to their own devices.

no see one is 'you are not doing the very basic of what is required of you' and the other is 'you are not being serious and professional enough'

Required? Excuse me?

essentially you have no right to force somebody to not have fun under the pretense that you're doing it in a heroic fashion

I would amend this to UNDER ANY PRETENSE. But that's just me.

me: when people do this it makes me mad

That is NOT what you said. I can go back and block-quote the post if you like.

yeah we know and it's still pretty bad

You know what, I've had just about enough of your kvetching.

Sir Alexander, I challenge you.

The challenge is as follows; record a demo of two entire rounds of dbheights, one on attack and one on defense. Critique the map in full, using whatever supplements you deem appropriate. Youtube annotations, voiceover, I don't care. The server you play on must be near or at full capacity for the duration. I will make allowances for ragequits/computer problems if necessary.

You have one week. If you do not deliver in time, or your response is not to my satisfaction, I am automatically declared the victor. In this case, I will have conclusively proved for everyone who reads this thread to see that your arguments hold precisely as much weight as "Bleck does not like customs. THE ****ING END."

Should you succeed, I will trade you my medal, or my stainless pot, for any of your useless dupes. Pending Valve's implementation of the trading system, of course.

Required? Excuse me?
One might argue that being willing to work as a team is a basic requirement of playing a game called Team Fortress 2.

yawn

You know what, I've had just about enough of your kvetching.

Sir Alexander, I challenge you.

The challenge is as follows; record a demo of two entire rounds of dbheights, one on attack and one on defense. Critique the map in full, using whatever supplements you deem appropriate. Youtube annotations, voiceover, I don't care. The server you play on must be near or at full capacity for the duration. I will make allowances for ragequits/computer problems if necessary.

You have one week. If you do not deliver in time, or your response is not to my satisfaction, I am automatically declared the victor. In this case, I will have conclusively proved for everyone who reads this thread to see that your arguments hold precisely as much weight as "Bleck does not like customs. THE ****ING END."

Should you succeed, I will trade you my medal, or my stainless pot, for any of your useless dupes. Pending Valve's implementation of the trading system, of course.

I will accept your challenge on one condition

if my critique is deemed appropriate, I want FireSlash's word that db_heights will never be playable on the server again

edit: ALSO I think it would be better if we organized a night on the OCR server for this to happen - finding a full server for two full rounds on db_heights where a) everyone will be playing seriously and B) I can probably commentate without some nine year old kid trying to tell me to shut up

One might argue that being willing to work as a team is a basic requirement of playing a game called Team Fortress 2.

yawn

Wow, guys. The game has TEAM in the title. Is it so much to ask that you at least ATTEMPT to WORK TOGETHER!!!
Rofl Clefairy, if ur tryin 2 b funny thats great but if ur serious thats really sad

Try again.

To anyone that wants to know, that was on our server. Badwater, about 2 months ago. I remember it vividly.

if my critique is deemed appropriate, I want FireSlash's word that db_heights will never be playable on the server again

er... what's to stop Bahamut or me from doing it then?

I mean, I'm usually the one who updates maps and the maplist (not to be confused with the map cycle) on the server even if I don't show up in game that much.

Also, I forgot to mention to FireSlash in my last post: The mapcycle runs in order from the top down unless we have a plugin installed to change the order randomly. The only maps that don't are: the starting map (it's independent of the map cycle) and any maps changed/rtved/votenextmaped to. The server also gets momentarily confused when the map cycle file is updated and loses track of which map it's on... this usually ends up with the nextmap set to the same map that's currently playing on the first change after the update.

I do not disagree with Dr Tran

I think battlemedic is pretty dumb but again if people want to do it then what is the big deal

the big deal is that the amount of fun people that take the game seriously like me have on the ocr server is completely random because it can be really great when everyones trying their best to help their team to the best of their ability to accomplish their goal but at the same time it can be one of the most annoying places when everyone decides to be an IDIOT

the big deal is that the amount of fun people that take the game seriously like me have on the ocr server is completely random because it can be really great when everyones trying their best to help their team to the best of their ability to accomplish their goal but at the same time it can be one of the most annoying places when everyone decides to be an IDIOT

It just seems like any post you make is "THEY"RE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I WANT THEM TO BAAAAAAAAAAW."

And FYI, someone not playing the way you want them to does not make them an idiot. If you want to be taken seriously, stop with the petty insults and find a constructive way to talk about your opinions, 'cause right now all I see is a child stomping his feet in a fit of anger who's not worth paying attention to anymore.

It just seems like any post you make is "THEY"RE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I WANT THEM TO BAAAAAAAAAAW."

And FYI, someone not playing the way you want them to does not make them an idiot. If you want to be taken seriously, stop with the petty insults and find a constructive way to talk about your opinions, 'cause right now all I see is a child stomping his feet in a fit of anger who's not worth paying attention to anymore.

hahahahha oh boy

I ALREADY SAID

picking the class that is meant to heal your team and NOT healing your team is greifing your own team

there really is nothing like being on fire and mashing MEDIC MEDIC MEDIC when theres a medic RIGHT there and dying as he trys to needle the enemies around him to death

how ISNT that greifing

How in the bloody hell is it griefing? The Medigun is one, ONE, of the available weapons for the Medic class to use. Just because they do something you do not like does not make it griefing. Otherwise we'd get into a giant debate about stupid, similar situations such as "Oh man that pyro burnt me to death, HE'S GRIEFING ME."

You might not like it, but if someone finds it fun, you need to just shut up and let that person have fun.

I know it couldn't be incorporated into the OCR server, but... has anyone ever played Prop Hunt/Hide and Seek?

That has to be one of the most fun game modes I've played in a long time. One team is turned into a handful of different objects on the map, all of which appear regularly on the map so you can still kind of blend in. You run off and hid somewhere as that object, and you can hold right click to freeze in place with a regular object's positioning, and the other team has to find you. They only get to be heavies and pyros on the attacking team that hurt themselves as they use a weapon. Just hide for long enough and your team wins.

It can really lead to some bizarre and hilarious matches. Like seeing a Control Point move around on it's own and run for it's life is pretty classic.

I know it couldn't be incorporated into the OCR server, but... has anyone ever played Prop Hunt/Hide and Seek?

That has to be one of the most fun game modes I've played in a long time. One team is turned into a handful of different objects on the map, all of which appear regularly on the map so you can still kind of blend in. You run off and hid somewhere as that object, and you can hold right click to freeze in place with a regular object's positioning, and the other team has to find you. They only get to be heavies and pyros on the attacking team that hurt themselves as they use a weapon. Just hide for long enough and your team wins.

It can really lead to some bizarre and hilarious matches. Like seeing a Control Point move around on it's own and run for it's life is pretty classic.

Is this a TF2 mod, or a Garry's Mod mod? (Speaking of which, Garry's Mod is $4.99 through Sunday)

Edit: It looks like this is an adaptation to TF2 of a Garry's Mod game mode. It's also missing some features that the Garry's Mod version has, such as the ability to change to whichever prop you're currently looking at.

The author of the TF2 version also won't release the source code of the mod... or the mod itself... to the public.

Ohh sorry, shoulda spoken up about it being a TF2 mod, I thought it was a given being I posted about it in a TF2 thread.

I kinda like that you can't change your model when you're on the prop side, kind of makes the whole process a lot more fun to hide.

There was one time where I was on a map with a setting similar to the Valve map Egypt, and I was turned into a palm tree. Now normally I'd be really upset about this, but I ended up being the final member on my team to survive, all I did was go to an area with scattered palm trees and set myself down in an area properly spaced out from the rest where a tree looked like it could be. I was totally hiding in plain sight, and it worked for the longest time.

If I could change what prop I was it'd be just too easy to want to be the small object every time and never be forced to find interesting spots.