Super Metroid 'Green Brinstar'

HoboKa

One of the best tracks of all time for the snes is remixed from moi ;)

Derived from the crappy medley I was working on - this one is sure to melt some fan faces. It's got some EQ issues and perhaps a couple transition problems - though I tried very hard to get out of my usual super randomness :D

The track's got some jazz and DnB influences too.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/mwht/SM_just-green-brinstar_verA3

here's the link. Enjoy.

Spakku's right on the money on this one. Re-mix it from start. The tracks really don't work well together. Drums and bass are too loud. I can hear the source... Some source elements at least. Those really need to be brought out better.

Your strings are a bit behind, you might want to fix their timing, moving them back or cutting the samples so you have a sharper attack.

I'll make this kind'a short, as you've probably aready got an update in the works. These are the problems I'm hearing with this version. I'm not sure about the progression, bt tehre weren't any awkward transitional sections or original parts that bogged it down, so your writing has certainly improved.

Good stuff, dude.

Spakku's right on the money on this one. Re-mix it from start. The tracks really don't work well together. Drums and bass are too loud. I can hear the source... Some source elements at least. Those really need to be brought out better.

Your strings are a bit behind, you might want to fix their timing, moving them back or cutting the samples so you have a sharper attack.

I'll make this kind'a short, as you've probably aready got an update in the works. These are the problems I'm hearing with this version. I'm not sure about the progression, bt tehre weren't any awkward transitional sections or original parts that bogged it down, so your writing has certainly improved.

Good stuff, dude.

Well, that's kinda good that the source isn't too prevalent :P, I'm usually too conservative. I'll try to bring it out...as for the EQ levels regarding drums and bass, I'll see if I can reduce them without making them too quiet.

Working on them strings too

Lots of reverb on hihats. Hm...

What happened at :33!? Goes from a climactic fill into a sillysynth section. A stronger lead taking that part could be awesome.

Vibes at 1:14? Everything else points at more action, stronger stuff, and then there's some nice and relaxing vibes there? lol Dud, a little more intentional instrumentation woudl be nice. If you want it calm, make the other tracks appropriately calm. If not, put a massive overdrive or something on the vibes or change them completely. (I recommend going calm there, but it's your remix.)

Unfortunately, it follows the progression of the source a lot from there on. Most notably the chord progression and the choir writing. Changingt he latter might fix that to some extent. Drop them, give them more notes, other rhythm... something else.

2:14 another sillysynth, but this one could be processed to be more serious.

Ending has the potential for some slight chord progression changes to get it a bit further from source. I like the instrument you used at the very end.

Throughout the track, it sounds like the bass is pushing the compression ceiling. Multiband compressor would solve that, but just dropping the gain a step or two might also help.

With this processing, the source is much more evident... and the use of the source progression also. It does sound like a step up from what's been associated with you, but it's not submittably good. Yet.

Dude, answer the questions in this post! :D

Lots of reverb on hihats. Hm...

What happened at :33!? Goes from a climactic fill into a sillysynth section. A stronger lead taking that part could be awesome.

Vibes at 1:14? Everything else points at more action, stronger stuff, and then there's some nice and relaxing vibes there? lol Dud, a little more intentional instrumentation woudl be nice. If you want it calm, make the other tracks appropriately calm. If not, put a massive overdrive or something on the vibes or change them completely. (I recommend going calm there, but it's your remix.)

Unfortunately, it follows the progression of the source a lot from there on. Most notably the chord progression and the choir writing. Changingt he latter might fix that to some extent. Drop them, give them more notes, other rhythm... something else.

2:14 another sillysynth, but this one could be processed to be more serious.

Ending has the potential for some slight chord progression changes to get it a bit further from source. I like the instrument you used at the very end.

Throughout the track, it sounds like the bass is pushing the compression ceiling. Multiband compressor would solve that, but just dropping the gain a step or two might also help.

With this processing, the source is much more evident... and the use of the source progression also. It does sound like a step up from what's been associated with you, but it's not submittably good. Yet.

Dude, answer the questions in this post! :D

AW FFS, I'm never going to get accepted on OCR ug. This is gonna take a lot of work lol. And the reason why I make it from serious to calm is to give it some dynamics :P, maybe they're a little too bipolar in feeling, but that was the intent. I might overdrive them vibes then.

The bass is a bitch...since I usually don't write basslines I'm still an utter newb with processing them - I'll see if I can fix that.

And wtf the synth isn't silly, I didn't feel like using a generic saw sound jeez lol.

I'm not touching my progression either, nor the notes - those're down pat as far as I'm concerned.

And Rozo, didn't you notice that the notes deviate from the source at the parts where I "follow the source"??? There's other songs on OCR that are muuuch closer to the source tune than this, so I don't think that's exactly fair...whatev.

and fine I'll answer your question, though DarkeDouche is probably gonna shit all over me because he hates my guts.

Still not quite liking the shizofrenic feel of the 1:14 section. Drums and lead sample just don't fit together.

Sounds like you've got a bass pushing the compression. Compression issues pretty much regardless, and the track still doesn't seem to nudge peak level. Ending, especially, the bass is screwing the track frequency balance like crazy.

And then there's the sillysynth. :P

And yeah, it's not source with a sound upgrade, there's interpretation, but saying other remixes are closer to source isn't valid. You know this already: blah blah blah old standards, rising bar, only violations removed, yada yada... But it's not a fair comparison if you're aiming at getting posted. Whatever man, I heard improvements. Good stuff.

Remixer, listeners, please take the time to answer the questions in this post, we're trying to improve the WIP board and we need your feedback.

Still not quite liking the shizofrenic feel of the 1:14 section. Drums and lead sample just don't fit together.

Sounds like you've got a bass pushing the compression. Compression issues pretty much regardless, and the track still doesn't seem to nudge peak level. Ending, especially, the bass is screwing the track frequency balance like crazy.

And then there's the sillysynth. :P

And yeah, it's not source with a sound upgrade, there's interpretation, but saying other remixes are closer to source isn't valid. You know this already: blah blah blah old standards, rising bar, only violations removed, yada yada... But it's not a fair comparison if you're aiming at getting posted. Whatever man, I heard improvements. Good stuff.

Remixer, listeners, please take the time to answer the questions in this post, we're trying to improve the WIP board and we need your feedback.

I hate OCR....oy

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[x ] Too quiet

[x ] Low-quality samples

[x ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[x ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[x ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[x ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[ ] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[x ] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

intro was jerky, and the notes chosen seemed a bit random;

kick is getting lost in the low strings, i'd cut out some room for it;

samples arent great, but would be serviceable with velocity and mod changes;

transitions are really weak, and the sections don't seem to have anything to do with each other

keep at it hobo! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice groove!

The timing of the strings in the intro isn't 100% pleasant at all spots. Some notes could be played a little earlier I think. I also agree somewhat on the randomness of the notes chosen; I once again think that what you are going for is good, but you need to compose to it more carefully.

I like the transition from the second part into the third around 1:13, the change in the groove is very nice, the third part which starts here has a nice driving feel to it.

The drumbeat is well written, it carries the groove well. Some of the fills don't work so well, they seem to lose the groove. Perhaps try to simplify them. I like the simple, very effective bass.

The change to the swing feel around 02:12 is a very nice idea. Some of the fills need to be more carefully programmed, as there is this "stuttering" feel that sounds like the drummer loses the time. I sounds to me that only the drums change to the swing feel, perhaps some other instruments could also change a bit?

The ending feels a little long, could be shortened. Bit unsure about that, because the overall flow of the piece could be improved. While I like the part between the intro and third part, it feels quite similar to the next part, just not in full motion. Rhythm-wise, making the hi-hat part play eight notes instead of sixteenths would distinguish the parts from each other. The drummer is also blasting away at the snare a bit too much. That needs to be simplified.

In general I like the soundscape you have, but it sounds quite muddy. I unfortunately don't have any advice on that personally. I'd only look into it after perfecting the arrangement, though. :)

--Eino