OCR01013 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD) "Drift"

djpretzel

10/10!

Although I wish I could remember when this song was played in the game, (The "Futuristic Sky Place"? Or was it when you were in the presence of "DNA Dude"?) I've always loved this song, and you did an EXCELLENT job of remixing it.

• 2 months later...

I realise that this song has been out for a while, but recently I lost my entire MP3 collection. I started rebuilding by a huge influx of SGX material.

For some reason, I must have missed this when it first came out. I also recently refreshed an old minidisc that I had and I added this song to it.

So here I sit at work, and I had to stop EVERYTHING, because this song grabbed all of my attention. I sat there with shivers all through me.

It builds so well, and it takes the mind (and apparently body, too) with it.

What a fantastic reMix.

Thank you, SGX

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Awesome intelligent ambient. The instrumentation and sound effects blended together for a very fitting tribute to the Ecco II soundtrack. And later on, of course Danny has it down pat when it comes to the fusion of orchestral and electronic elements. The synths feel like they've aged a slight bit, but it doesn't make a significant impact in terms of how solid this piece is. I couldn't see Spencer Nilsen being anything but flattered and impressed with the creativity and execution here.

• 1 year later...

On the surface, Drift seems to share many blood-related traits of Heart of the Giant, like frame of progression, certain synth/percussion types, and even introductory points. But judicious sonic enhancements make this mix more focused and sweeping. I can imagine dolphins leaping and diving along a constantly panning ocean surface thanks to things like:

- emotionally imploring synths

- thunderous drums

- "miscellaneous" sound effects in the source (bovine, chirping, mechanical, etc.) replaced by those of marine mammals to reflect the Ecco setting

Makes me wish I could joyride (joyswim?) on the Pacific Ocean like a dolphin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Am I missing something here? As far as I can tell this is a remix of "Friend or Foe", not "Heart of the Giant".

Edit: Nevermind, I realized the Sega CD version has different track titles. Confusing.

Anyways, awesome as always SGX.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01013 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD) "Drift"