64 bit

Let's say I am running a 64 bit operating system and have a 64 bit sequencer which I use to load a 32 bit sampler plugin. If I use the 4 GB of RAM allowed by 32 bit applications, can I just load another sampler and use another 4 GB of RAM with it and so on? This is assuming I have enough RAM to do this of course.

In RIGHT before snapplerant, good move! :D

Cubase 4 64bit is in preview mode because they're not planning to update it. They're gonna wait to "officially" announce 64 bit Cubase with version 5. Either way, the "preview" version is 100% legit, complete and works flawlessly. It's just a 64 bit version of the latest (and probably last) Cubase 4 release. I use both 32 and 64bit versions of both Cubase and Sonar, but Sonar is not officially supported in WinXP 64 so I am having a ton of problems with it. Conversely Cubase 64 is only supported in WinXP 64, so there's another reason they're calling it a preview, guess they're working on a vista version.

• 2 weeks later...
Second, I believe the 4gb memory addressing space is shared by ALL 32 bit plugins so unfortunately you can't just instantiate multiple versions.

Correct.

In order to use more than 4GB (which actually translates to a little over 3GB of usable memory for the process) there's a few options, as was mentioned.

- Run a second VST Host on the same machine (using LaaTiDo if it's not LA aware) such as Reaper, Bidule, or the ill-fated V-Stack. Depending on your audio driver, it may or may not cooperate. I've had varying degrees of success on different audio interfaces.

- A potentially simpler and more elegant solution, just use ReWire. I haven't tested this on x64, but in theory you can use something like Bidule or Reaper in rewire mode, and because it's its own process, it can load an additional 3.5GB of memory.