Mega Drive/Genesis 20th anniversary

lazygecko

On October 28th, 1988 the Mega Drive was released in Japan.

2gw4ytt.jpg

Like all of Sega's consoles, it was tailored to provide accurate ports of their arcade games. Sonic wouldn't grace the machine for nearly 3 years.

These were the golden years for Sega, and it can mostly be attributed to Tom Kalinske who was in charge of their American division. He made the decision to market it head-to-head against Nintendo, a task thought impossible by the competitors at the time. By the mid-90's, Kalinske began having disputes with their Japanese management. Sega Japan wanted to scrap the Mega Drive and focus 100% on the Saturn, while Kalinske thought the 16-bit generation still had a lot of selling power. These disputes ended with Kalinske leaving the company and the disastrous compromise known as the 32X. Since then, Sega has failed to achieve its past prosperity.

I still have my Genesis 1, which I got for Christmas for the year it came out (the original one that came with Altered Beast as a pack-in). Everything on it still works too (volume control, headphone jack, etc). I've spent countless hours playing the likes of Thunder Force IV, Sonic the Hedgehog, Ristar, Herzog Zwei, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, along with the many other fun filled simulators, racing games, shmups, RPGs, hack 'n slashes, and platformers the system has. Add on the fact that over the last few years, I've been able to play imports on it, and it's safe to say my old system has really seen a lot of use... and still does to this day. It's a great older system with a lot to offer.

It may be a day late, but...

NiceBirthday.jpg

Props and salutes to the first console I ever bought with my own cash (I was all broke during the NES generation); at that time, Sonic was the pack-in. Still working; until I find time for regular gaming again, it's usually for a quick SOR2 game after coming home from work. It's where I first started collecting videogame music for personal listening... on CASSETTES! Nothing beats lo-fi FM with warmth, hum AND hiss!

Props and salutes to the first console I ever bought with my own cash (I was all broke during the NES generation); at that time, Sonic was the pack-in. Still working; until I find time for regular gaming again, it's usually for a quick SOR2 game after coming home from work. It's where I first started collecting videogame music for personal listening... on CASSETTES! Nothing beats lo-fi FM with warmth, hum AND hiss!

This is probably going to sound a bit goofy, but I still have the last two sixty-minute tapes I made when I was kid. One was a selection of faster tunes (Revenge of Shinobi, TF3 + TF4, TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist, etc.), the other was for slower tunes (Castlevania: Bloodlines ending, Batman ending, etc.).