Silver Surfer + Turtles (NES)

Lie Mf B

Here's my third WIP for my upcoming album: a frantic rock version of the first song in the Silver Surfer (NES) soundtrack, coupled with a piece of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (also NES) and a little bit of Sweet (70's glam/hard rock band).

It needs polishing here and there (there's a couple of broken cymbals, for instance), but let me know your impressions.

http://www.update.uu.se/~lidbjork/dvd/LieMfB_-_Silver_Surfer_01_mixdown_2008-11-05.mp3

Thanks in advance,

Mutherpluckin' B

http://lidbjork.homelinux.org/nintendo

Drums are weak, especially the kick. Guitar doesn't seem entirely synched at times. You should go on #ocrwip and ask for the guitar remixers like Tensei-San, Nekofrog, Sixto if he's there, and the finns. lol, sounds like a band: X and the Finns. :D

Anyway, what bothers me about this track is the lack of good drive. The guitar isn't always tight enough to carry the track, and the drums are, as already mentioned, weak. the track also gets repetitive pretty fast, throwing in an organ and organ solo would spice it up.

That's what I've got. It's acool track, tho, good luck with the album.

• 4 weeks later...

silver surfer and tmnt for nes both in the same remix? well, either you know a lot of video game tunes, or you where unlucky with your choice of games to buy for the nes :D

I gotta agree with rozo here :D

drums sound awful. Too quiet for a start dont have much punch at all.

The guitar noise at the intro - ouch - get rid of that.

Also about one third of the track in, your rhythm and solo guitars clash (where you do a solo with that warm blues lead) and sound out of sync, and it doesn't sound great. Fix that.

You phased lead guitar sounds alright, but your other lead guitar, the blues crunch drive sound has very little gain and doesn't sound meaty enough.

Increasing the mids of your guitars may help in fattening out the guitar and some compression wouldn't go amiss either, but you are better off asking sixto or fishy.

Good luck with this dude

Thanx for your responses, all.

I started making a new drum track but it only made the sucker worse. Now I'm just leaning towards processing/mixing/editing the current drums, maybe re-record the odd part here and there and keeping it there.

I recently decided to leave it off the new album I'm making and putting it on a separate outtakes or "odds & sods" kind of album. But when I'm listening to it now, I kind of like it... I guess I should just give it a rest for a while.

Thought I'd post the source. I think doubling the tempo was a great idea - the source sounds like it should be double time due to the energy.

I'd also like to add how impressive this source this O_O

The sequencing is incredible, and there is an amazing synth solo in there considering its nes music. We need more remixes of this theme :P

A lot of the parts that I thought were guitar licks that were improvised are actually in the source, just thought I'd mention that.

Also, I don't know where your TMNT part is, so I haven't posted the source for that.

I found the TMNT Theme :P

I must say I like these sources. Its a shame bad video games don't get coverage here despite good soundtracks.

Yeah, indeed they're cool songs. I've never played any of those games -- I just got the ideas from friends who said they had cool music. Apparently, Silver Surfer is a pretty shitty -- and difficult -- game. That song proved difficult to remix as well. But I'll see when I get working on it again.

I haven't played the games either, its because of the AVGN that I know of them :P

I have heard that silver surfer is one of the hardest games ever made, but I am going off the point here.

Arrangement - now that I can comment on it - I like it. There is plenty of things going on, you have given the silver surfer theme a unique blues twist and added original sections to it as well.

The TMNT theme is a bit coverish, but you have a nice solo in the place of the original - nothing major there.

What is the section that comes before and after your solo over the silver surfer backing near the end? I like it, is it an original section? sounds like Iron maiden gone blues :P