DAW that displays sheet music.

SLyGeN

So, I'm interested in purchasing a DAW for myself. To compose music, I've been using Guitar Pro for the most part, which does sheet music and tablature, although there isn't much mixing capability or high-end samples.

Logic sounds perfect for me; a friend of mine said it can display sheet music and work with midis, etc. But it looks like it's for Macs only. :(

I looked at FL Studio briefly, but it seems that it only displays piano-roll sort of stuff. I'm taking a music theory class right now, so I'd prefer to work in a sheet-music sort of interface (or even a hybrid of sorts would be nice, I suppose, for parts without a meter).

So, looking to the experts for suggestions. Cheers.

My first recommendation would be to try the piano roll for a bit, even if you can't see things in a sheet music perspective, I don't really find it to be a problem (and yes, I'm taking theory courses too) It can even outline the notes that fit the key if you want it too (it automatically scans the notes and decides the key you're playing in, if it can.) I love the piano roll. However, speaking of different meters, it's semi difficult to do complex meters in FL Studio, however it is definitely possible.

Good luck!

The best notation software for MIDI work is Overture from Geniesoft.

Built-in VST host, prints as good as Finale, and it also has a piano roll. It's also about half the price of Finale to boot.

http://www.geniesoft.com/products/overture/overture.htm

This is one of those hidden-gems of music software. Little-known, but can do a lot.

That said, though, you won't achieve the workflow that you can with a straight DAW. I used to be a notation-only guy myself, but I forced myself to use Cubase and the quality of my MIDI work has gone up tremendously.

I don't know about FL, but with Cubase you can step-entry into it's piano roll much like with notation software.

i can't talk for all daws - but i'm pretty sure they all are rather lacking when you compare them to notation software like finale and sibelius - but unless your printing out detailed sheet music and scores it's a non-issue

i have only run into a few snags with logic's notation but I also use finale

cubase, sonar, logic, and maybe pro tools 8 will all be fine options if you want to look at notes instead of a piano roll

and for me atleast, i can input long passages of sheet music faster with step input in logic's score than i can within the piano roll

Thanks to everyone who responded.

The main reason I want to stick with sheet music notation is I need to continue to familiarize myself with it. Another friend of mine also had good things to say about Cubase, so I'll probably check that out first.

I'll be considering everything listed here too, though. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Cubase has amazing midi editing capabilities, if you are planning on you using a lot of midi I certainly recommend it.

I'm not sure if it has sheet music, I think it does. I've been using Cubase for some years and never bothered figuring it out. I've become used to the piano roll (though I'm a guitar player...)