So I got Persona 4 in the mail...

Schwaltzvald

Yesterday as I was coming home from work (preordered with artbook and music cd). Little while later I popped the disc in and was pleasantly surprised. While I enjoyed Persona 3/FES and its rather dark path, Persona 4's rather bright colored take is refreshing.

The music seems more varied, though the Velvet Room theme is still present, also imo still enjoyable.

Didn't get far though as I started to play it late night. But from what little I have played, been rather enjoyable. From what I gather, the situation as it seems is not as bleak as PS3/FES was, but all the same very troubling for humanity.

There also seems to have more factors and conditions that affect combat itself; not to mention this time around I can have total control of my entire party if I choose to. Play it ala PS3/FES with ai deciding on move or I can choose to.

I will say I missed the way Personas are summoned, as it seemed that without some aid of a tool or drug, that just about ANY one can summon their Persona. Though it does remind me of the "Persona: Revelations" way that the main characters summoned them.

Will post more soon as I get further in. :D

I enjoyed 3, but didn't get past June or July (those who played it should know what I mean by this). I really found the blandness of the dungeons to be boring. Does 4 have more creativity to its dungeons, or are they another randomly-generated mess? I plan on getting it anyway, but I'm just sort of curious.

I thought about that and IMO there's no real difference except for perhaps game play. When I say game play, there are some things that are missing in Persona 3/FES that are in Persona 4, such as the option to have total control of your party.

IMO I'd say start off with PS3/FES then PS4 if only because there are some improvements in PS4 that may make their absense in PS3/FES put you off. Doing it backwards may push some players away since in PS3/FES you only control the main character where as the AI controls ur party members; though ometimes it's quite good and even makes choices you personally wouldn't have thought and works wonderfully.

all up to you.

Story wise, I've not seen any real connection between the two except that it seems both take place in the same universe along with Igor and his assistant. I've not seen any mentions between the events in PS3/FES and PS4 just yet as I've just started.

Plus I avoided all spoiler info on PS4 so I could be wrong..

IMO - Go with FES first then PS4

Edit - I actually liked the randomness of the dungeons as it usually kept things fresh for me, with the exception of the textures. That's usually overlooked though considering the small side quests you'd get from Elizabeth as well as wanting to work on getting better Persona's. But that's just me.

I suppose my question is, should I go with 3:FES or 4, now that it's out? Any reason one would be better to start with than the other, besides simple chronology?

Personally, I would go as far back as Persona 1. The Megami series has been long standing but only made significant inroads into the US recently, now that Atlus has gotten its act together. If you don't want to touch PS1 then go with Shin Megami Tensei III. The first two in that series are NES-era and too much of a leap backwards, but I think SMTIII (and perhaps its Digital Devil sequels) are a good splash.

Personally, I would go as far back as Persona 1. The Megami series has been long standing but only made significant inroads into the US recently, now that Atlus has gotten its act together. If you don't want to touch PS1 then go with Shin Megami Tensei III. The first two in that series are NES-era and too much of a leap backwards, but I think SMTIII (and perhaps its Digital Devil sequels) are a good splash.

I'd actually have to agree with him, though I was not sure if he had already tried one of the older titles and just wanted an opinion on the more current titles...

They really need to remake "Persona: Revelations" along with "Persona 2: Innocent Sin" and P: Eternal Punishment" re-releasing it here...

Has anyone played Persona 2? If so, question: does Persona 3 or 4 have a lower encounter rate than 2?

I tried out Persona 2 and was completely sucked in; it was so cool and original (at least to me)... then I started getting into battles every ten paces. I wanted to consider this a blemish and look past it, but it was so frustrating to battle on end. I like to explore and this game just beat me down.

I really want to play Persona 3 or 4, but I have to know they won't punish me.

Battles in Person 3 go a bit faster than in Persona 2, and encountering enemies is less random: You get to see enemies moving around Tartarus and decide whether to attempt avoiding them or make an surprise attack. Generally, it is more bearable than Persona 2, though the areas are less creative and the battle dialogue system has been removed. If you pick up Persona 3, get the Persona 3: FES version, which has extra content.

Speaking of Persona 2, a translation patch for the first half of the Persona 2 series has been released a while back. There are two games that are linked, known as Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, of which only the latter came to America.

Speaking of Persona 2, a translation patch for the first half of the Persona 2 series has been released a while back. There are two games that are linked, known as Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, of which only the latter came to America.

YES! I'm gonna cross my fingers on the encounter rate... I heard it was even better than the half that made it to the US.

Thanks! I'm gonna monopolize a PS2 in the local (aka: not Game Stop) game store for an hour on Saturday to try out Persona 3... hope they have it in! So half my question was answered (hooray!)... anyone played both Persona 2 and 4?

I'm sorry if I'm getting this off-topic. Persona games are awesome and I fully endorse playing them. Thanks for the OP!

Okay so...

PS4 pulled a Tartarus... While it seems that the dungeons are of course in different locations within the "otherside", said dungeons tend to warp their mappings. Basically you can't really map them out on a grid if u wanted to as it will change, except in specific areas; such as during my first major excursion. Not to mention the chests started reminding of Secret of Mana/SD3 in the sense that they can either offer goodies or critically hit me in the nads; like stealing away my already meager "Soul Points".

From what I've faced, the monsters are, for some reason, not only similar to the ones in PS3:FES but perhaps more difficult as they can call reinforcements, or after one set have been destroyed another wave may rush in. I suppose that's dependant on your skill level or perhaps surroundings..?

Overall, I'm enjoying it alot, just very different especially with the differences I've mentioned as well as the TV Static Motif;especially when entering the "Otherside" the weird transfer from one reality to the next is somewhat hypnotic. :lol:

I haven't played any of these games but I've been strongly considering making one of them my next RPG... I suppose my question is, should I go with 3:FES or 4, now that it's out? Any reason one would be better to start with than the other, besides simple chronology?

It depends on what you're looking for. If you really want to get the whole story, FES is probably the better choice. The games are not specifically linked in plot, but there are holdovers and elements that you will appreciate more if you played the previous game. It's not necessary, but it's a nice bonus.

However, if you just want to play a game, then P4 wins hands down. It takes everything awesome about FES and deals with many of the issues, like blandness of the dungeons (you play these games for the plot and the writing, not the fighting imo), some of the scheduling difficulty, and so forth. It even improves things you might not have immediately thought greatly improvable, like the already-awesome Social Link system, and character development (you really have to see the characters in P4 awaken to their Personas. I'm SO PLEASED with how they did that :D).

I highly recommend both games, but if you'll only play one, get P4. If you want to go through them both, I'd suggest starting with FES, but it is possible that you could go either way on that point.

Just a side comment, when these games ask you if you want to play Easy or Normal, suck up your pride and pick easy your first go 'round. Due to the way the battle system works, it's way too easy to get an unlucky fight early in the game and suffer a Game Over or TPK if you don't take a really slow and deliberate path through the game. That being said, the game is set up so that that slow deliberate path is really a viable option. It runs on a calendar basis, so as long as you complete objectives before you run out of time, there's no real penalty for doing so.

I'm just an impatient rube from the Action Badlands, so I steam through the dungeons in a matter of days as opposed to the apparent weeks the game intends. Heh. More time for Social Links!

Okay so...

PS4 pulled a Tartarus.

I'm sorry but I VEHEMENTLY disagree. Tartarus was torture on the highest level. Well, some levels this time around can be torturous in some ways since you run out of items and health and soul meter VERY quickly if you don't know enemies' weaknesses. That and the fact that there is a time limit to doing it all since you need to plan everyday-life to find ways to get supplies and Personas and other tricks to beating each dungeons. But it all seems to have a cohesive purpose this time around. And yeah, the battles are definitely tougher but it doesn't feel cheap most of the time unless enemies get that critical-hit in and kills everyone in one go.

Also, bosses are MAJOR struggles in this game. It's like some of the battles in Lost Odyssey or something. It's turn-based RPG at its very best. Most real time RPGs can't really replicate the strategy that does into it. Especially in P4 where you are almost FORCED to use defense-up and enemy-defense-down techniques. It gets down to the wire a lot. And I love it.

I'm sorry but I VEHEMENTLY disagree. Tartarus was torture on the highest level. Well, some levels this time around can be torturous in some ways since you run out of items and health and soul meter VERY quickly if you don't know enemies' weaknesses. That and the fact that there is a time limit to doing it all since you need to plan everyday-life to find ways to get supplies and Personas and other tricks to beating each dungeons. But it all seems to have a cohesive purpose this time around. And yeah, the battles are definitely tougher but it doesn't feel cheap most of the time unless enemies get that critical-hit in and kills everyone in one go.

Also, bosses are MAJOR struggles in this game. It's like some of the battles in Lost Odyssey or something. It's turn-based RPG at its very best. Most real time RPGs can't really replicate the strategy that does into it. Especially in P4 where you are almost FORCED to use defense-up and enemy-defense-down techniques. It gets down to the wire a lot. And I love it.

I just meant in terms that on returning to a dungeon the mapping is all different, much like Tartarus except for certain floors, also like Tartarus. :lol:

I haven't even made a complaint upon the game :lol:

And I actually enjoyed my time in Tartarus in PS3/FES on account of it reminding me of the old days but with a huge graphical facelift. :wink:

Most of all it's a good game :)!!

I like the suggestion to start with Persona 1, like it's an easy game to track down...

Thankfully Persona 2 just saw a VERY limited reprint via Amazon and Atlus the other week. I was lucky enough to snag myself a copy. The reprint was gone in less than a day.

So right now I'm sitting on Persona 2, Persona 3 (sealed, woot), Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Even got that social link pack from Amazon too.

Now if only I had time to sit down and PLAY them all...

As soon as my Fallout addiction wears off I'm diving headfirst into P4.

I just meant in terms that on returning to a dungeon the mapping is all different, much like Tartarus except for certain floors, also like Tartarus. :lol:

I haven't even made a complaint upon the game :lol:

And I actually enjoyed my time in Tartarus in PS3/FES on account of it reminding me of the old days but with a huge graphical facelift. :wink:

Most of all it's a good game :)!!

I don't know. I just shiver at the the thought of Tartarus. Even some of the purely torturous Phantasy Star 1 and 2 dungeons aren't as scary as Tartarus for me. And PS1/2 ones were absolute death traps near the end.

I like the way the random dungeons work in this game because they're so short and simple anyway. With the only real threat being the enemies.

I've been ravaged by Rampage so much that I sorta have taken a masochistic liking to it. So powerful.... it's so powerful, people have problems with it in EASY mode. I'm in normal but it's destroying everything. Only way to luck it out is with evade-up.

And it's comedic how I always finish boss battles with at least one member down and with almost no spirit points or hp left. Always that last, desperate full-offense push to win, even with the best strategies possible.

I've been ravaged by Rampage so much that I sorta have taken a masochistic liking to it. So powerful.... it's so powerful, people have problems with it in EASY mode. I'm in normal but it's destroying everything. Only way to luck it out is with evade-up.

Which also makes me grateful whenever one of my party members, in particularly Chie, offers to take one of the enemies and does the "Gigantic Punt" :lol:

Just something about seeing a shadow get punted out of battle flying in the "Team Rocket" trademark exit makes worth seeing all the time. :lol:

Especially if they're really troublesome...

• 3 weeks later...
That Teddy bear (lulzpun) actually looks pretty good.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Oddly enough despite how bad the puns are (god I thought I was safe from them after FES, boy was I wrong), I found myself laughing at them. :lol:

I KNOW THEY'RE BAD BUT I LAUGHED AT THEM, WHY?!

Not to mention the 4th, 5th & 6th bosses were fun despite the fact that they can easily kill you with seemingly cheap tactics. :lol: