Do you have ANY kind of project that needs custom music?

zircon

I'm the head of the Drexel Composers Group, a student organization at Drexel University. We're always on the lookout for projects to score, commercial or otherwise. If you have a game, demo, animation, video, reel, short clip, or anything else that needs music, give us a shout - EVEN if it's just a simple project you've had lying on your hard drive for years, or if it's a student gig.

http://drexelcomposers.wordpress.com/need-music-click-here/ <- Click here for more info!

Note; I'm normally too busy to do any music myself for the group, so this is a post primarily on behalf of the other composers in the group.

So is this for fun or profit? Or both? Right now, I'm in school for film making and such, and I'll probably have a handful of projects in the very near future that could use some tunes. However, the biggest issue is that I have next to no money whatsoever.

Being that it's a Drexel group, the primary purpose is really education. I want people to get as much real world practice as possible. To that end, taking on unpaid projects is A-OK (as long as it's not some kind of profitable/commercial endeavor!)

How about that story that I'm always talking about but never writing? I want music for that in case it winds up coming out as a script!

We've never done music for something without visuals, but I could always see if anyone in the group wants to give it a shot.

Do you give lessons/walkthroughs? Are the other members proficient with DAWs?

I haven't personally given any lessons on technical aspects of composing, though I have talked about more general topics like copyright and music licensing. After all, everyone in the Music program here is required to take a variety of courses that hone their production skills. People in the group definitely know how to use a DAW, as we have to use Logic and Pro Tools here to get through first-year classes.

Being that it's a Drexel group, the primary purpose is really education. I want people to get as much real world practice as possible. To that end, taking on unpaid projects is A-OK (as long as it's not some kind of profitable/commercial endeavor!)

Awesome. You'll more than likely be hearing from me within the coming months then.

Okay I'm actually working on a gaming project right now. Nothing big or anything just something I'm doing in my spare time... When I finally have all the programming, spriting, and debugging done you're saying I can hit one of you guys up and you'll help me get some music for the game? It's not anything I'm doing for profit, just a fun project I spend some time on.

Secondly, for how long are you guys offering this service? I probably won't be done with all the major programming for another month or two, but I find having the main background music playing helps me stay focused in the long run.

I haven't personally given any lessons on technical aspects of composing, though I have talked about more general topics like copyright and music licensing. After all, everyone in the Music program here is required to take a variety of courses that hone their production skills. People in the group definitely know how to use a DAW, as we have to use Logic and Pro Tools here to get through first-year classes.

Then perhaps a good idea would be to offer some lessons (akin to your videos) in digital composing and production, especially aimed at musical people who have never given two thoughts to using a computer. Not only could you likely use that to boost your own numbers, but it would be a great way to link with other schools as well.

Then perhaps a good idea would be to offer some lessons (akin to your videos) in digital composing and production, especially aimed at musical people who have never given two thoughts to using a computer. Not only could you likely use that to boost your own numbers, but it would be a great way to link with other schools as well.

It's a group only for Drexel students, and of the Music Industry department, there aren't that many composers. We already pretty much have everyone who is interested in actual composition as members of the group, which is kinda cool. Our main focus is just finding gigs right now so people can get practice. I don't think anyone there is really interested in having me 'teach' anything outside of business-related stuff, though I field any and all questions if people have them.

Wingless; Email me bro!

It's a group only for Drexel students, and of the Music Industry department, there aren't that many composers. We already pretty much have everyone who is interested in actual composition as members of the group, which is kinda cool. Our main focus is just finding gigs right now so people can get practice. I don't think anyone there is really interested in having me 'teach' anything outside of business-related stuff, though I field any and all questions if people have them. .. We're offering this.. well, indefinitely, unless the club shuts down (and under my watch, it won't.) :)

So, "indefinitely" means longer than a few months? (Heh. Gotta love the web now.)

I'd do it in reverse order. What kind of compensation and kudos were you guys looking for? If anything I'd do this in reverese order - gather the song(s) first, then see what project would grow around them.

• 8 months later...