Open Source Gaming

1337 1

I've always been a fan of open source (and all the other similar projects that the internet has spawned) projects, and some of the games I play are open source as well.

However, open source generally sticks to the computer (for obvious reasons). But I recently discovered something interesting.

My brother gave me an open source handheld called the GP2X. Its a nice little unit, and I like how everything can be stored on the one card (it uses an SD card for storage). However, it got me thinking about how many people on OCR play open source games/own open source gear.

Sure, the thing isn't going to replace my DS, but its a decent bit of gear in its own right.

I'm just curious to see who here has played/does play an open source game/s, or has one of the handhelds? Discuss.

Meh, I'm sure a lot of us have played civ 2 before - don't feel too bad, Rozo.

I friend of mine owns the GP2X, and it's pretty neat (especially since it can run most 2d emulators flawlessly). The open source stuff that you can get for it is great, too (I played a little raiden-like shooter on it - it was pretty nice :P).

Don't you mean civ 2? (I feel old)

Perhaps it was; i never played Civ 2. It might explain some of the discrepencies.

edit: And I've played Spring back when it was TA: Spring, and was "officially" based on the '97 RTS Total Annihilation. Now they've got a bunch of custom mods for it.