Zipping multiple files

Hey guys I just registered so I could post this, but thanks so much for the website and the remixes. You guys are bad ass.

This isn't really a request for a single track but more of a request to be able to download multiple tracks via a download manager on the website. I find myself time and time again opening several tabs just to download the tracks I want, because you have to download tracks on their own page. Even though it is organized for the website, it's pretty inconvenient for person listening to the tracks. I went to DjPretzel's artist page (because of his short skirts remix from the FFVII OST remix) and I have about 20 tabs opened in my browser. Why can't there be like an option to get all of his work in a zip file courtesy of the website?

Just an opinion, the way it's set up now won't keep me from coming back:razz: but I would appreciate it if I could just hit a button and get a bunch of tracks instead of just one at a time.

Making a zip of files you select would be a fairly complicated programming task, especially when dealing with site mirrors. The script would have to be aware of all the mirrors, somehow decide which site to pull each selected file from, deal with error handling if one of the mirrors couldn't be reached, and so on. It would also add to the bandwidth of ocremix.org unless the zip files were created on the mirror sites and you were just provided a link to them.

Is it really that hard to download the files individually?

You know, it would be kind of nice if someone wrote up some custom OCR downloader software that uses the torrents as its source.

Like, find an open-source BitTorrent client modify it by building in special file selection filters based on metadata from OCR's own database. That way I could open up my downloader and say "hm, lets see, I'd like all the Secret of Mana remixes, and all the mixes by ziwtra," so I'd select stuff from dropdowns and check a couple of boxes and all of the SoM and ziwtra remixes would be selected in the torrent, and then the torrent would download.

Might be a fun programming project for any programmers interested in doing something for OCR.

You know, it would be kind of nice if someone wrote up some custom OCR downloader software that uses the torrents as its source.

Like, find an open-source BitTorrent client modify it by building in special file selection filters based on metadata from OCR's own database. That way I could open up my downloader and say "hm, lets see, I'd like all the Secret of Mana remixes, and all the mixes by ziwtra," so I'd select stuff from dropdowns and check a couple of boxes and all of the SoM and ziwtra remixes would be selected in the torrent, and then the torrent would download.

Might be a fun programming project for any programmers interested in doing something for OCR.

This is now on my todo list. :<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://fireslash.net/~fireslash/devel/Inertia.zip

No xml search data yet (It just goes by filename, so you can search "chrono" for chrono trigger, but not "sixto" for all sixto mixes (unless he's listed in the filename, such as albums)

Mac binaries are on hold due to some major issues with py2app and i386, but I can always float you python source if you're willing to compile boost and libtorrent-rasterbar on your own :P (If anyone has, or is willing to build these libs as universal and py2app it, let me know)

Let me know if something breaks or does something weird. It should be stable... it will auto-seed anything you've downloaded as long as you don't move it, so you're helping others by keeping it open :3 Settings pane isn't implemented.

• 1 month later...
How is this in any way better than using a torrent and picking out the ones you want to download, skipping the rest?

I mean, it would be cool and all, but... actually, what WOULD be cool is if the downloader could find OCReMixes with incorrect tags and fix them instead of having you redownload the whole song.

The end result will be (once djp adds some things to the site) a system that lets you search by meta info as well, such as artist, original song, etc. THings you can't easily do in a torrent.

It's also a bit more direct and easier to use. Normal torrent clients will often still create files for parts you don't want; or create files for the trailing/leading files (since chunks overlap the individual file names unless torrents are padded). A few other things.

regardless, it was requests and I wrote it. I don't expect everyone to find it useful.

Fixing bad tags might be possible, but it'll prevent the client from seeding those patched files. :?