Local Music - give some love here!

Gario

One of my students came up to me a week ago and gave me a CD of a local band, telling me to check it out. Interestingly enough, it was a band that I was already familiar with, but the music on the CD was... well, 'meh', at best. However, I remembered that their first album was pretty good, so I decided to try and get a copy of the CD for the student to check out (before anyone gets upset at me for burning the music, it's freely available on their site so it's pretty much in public domain).

When burning it, however, I found that their music wasn't pretty good - it was really good. Something that I would pay money to get (which I did when I got the album :P). Because I haven't been in the local scene for a few years now I tend to forget that some authentically good music is circulating among the crowd. The problem is that some terrible music is also circulating so that often sways people's opinion on local music, in general.

I propose that we give some attention to those people that don't have any attention out there - most of them have some sort of website they post some of their music on for free, so let's help out our fellow musicians here by providing a place where people can find all sorts of links to local music everywhere. I'll look through the thread and post all the links provided on the front page - let's give some love to these musicians!

Post the hometown of the band and the genre (metal and rock aren't the only genres of local music out there :P), and feel free to suggest a song or two of theirs to listen to. Also, if you have a local band of some sort, go ahead and put it up here - the more publicity the better :). I do not advocate posting any music from these bands here - only their website. Posting their music here infringes on their intellectual property; I'm trying to help them, not hurt them more. Link to their website, instead, and hopefully they will have a music player that plays their stuff. I prefer to link to a myspace because generally there is some music to listen to, there, but if their own site has their music on it I'll certainly link that.

Hemlock is a good ol' metal band that's been around for about 10 years from Las Vegas, NV. They sound a bit like Hatebreed to me, but they're just fun to listen to. I highly recommend 'Kill your Children' - damn awesome song - and 'No Time for Sorrow' (pretty good as well). Their recording is a bit rough for the earlier stuff, but man, the music of their first album is very, very good.

Local Bands posted here

Hemlock - Metal - Las Vegas, NV

Zombie Bazooka Patrol - Rock & Roll - Sevier County, TN

Pollicer - Electronic Dance - Phillidelphia, PA

Chemical Discipline - Metal - Fayetteville, AR

The Battle Within - Metal - Fayetteville, AR

Maktub - Rock/funk/soul - Seattle, WA

My two brothers are in a really good band called ZOMBIE BAZOOK PATROL. Three of their members are from Sevier County, TN, where I continue to live, and they have actually been on Fox's GREATEST BAND IN AMERICA or whatever that was last year or the year before, plus they had their picture in Maxim or Entertainment Weekly (I forget which one).

www.zombiebazookpatrol.com

My brother plays bass and my other brother only plays with them occasionally with rhythm guitar and lead (he's a freak on guitar).

Despite ALL appearances and such, they actually are really good and worth the cash.

Local Seattle band (a little rock, a little funk, a lot of soul) - Maktub. Latest album free download, though it represents a definite style change for them (for better or worse). The singer (Reggie Watts) is amazing, with a collection of youtube videos showing off his beatboxing/comedy/general vocal talents in addition to what he does with the band.