DC Meetup/OC ReMix live show?

Diodes

I just had this idea, it's not necessarily a very detailed idea but I wanted to post about it to see how much interest there would be (if any), and to brainstorm a bit on what people's thoughts/ideas are if people are into the idea.

Basically my idea was to have a DC area OCRemix meetup, and during this meetup, have OCRemixers give live performances of their original stuff, remixes, or whatever. Doesn't even have to be a live performance, just playing a set of electronic music with dance beats off of a laptop could be very entertaining too. We could even have a set of all just remixes from the site. There is this bar in Northern Virginia that I have played at and I know the owner, I could book us a night and we could have performing, dancing, mingling, drinking, and general merriment. In addition to the performance night, we could also have a super fun weekend of regular DC/OCRemix meetup activities.

Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there to see if there would be any interest in doing something like this. Who would be interested in performing, and what would you want to perform? Who would be interested in just going to see the show, and what would you want to see played? When would be a good time for the meetup? I know that a lot of people will be in the DC area for MAGFest, on the other hand, I don't want to compete with MAGFest with an event so similar, so I think it might be better to space it out.

I welcome any indeas and suggestions, uh, as long as you're not mean to me :tomatoface:

Whoa, I got lucky checking back here just after you posted!

First, I'd like to know the name of the bar and get an address, just to see what the drive-time is like. If it's a DC-area meet-up, and the bar you speak of isn't too far away, I'm pretty sure I'm down for this. I'll put myself out there to perform, I may do both original and/or remix stuff, or maybe even arrange something to play with someone else who would be going! This just sounds like fun anyways.

And yeah, doing this sometime between now and MAGfest would be best. Looking forward to this happening!

First, I'd like to know the name of the bar and get an address, just to see what the drive-time is like.

The place is called So Addictive Lounge and here is the address:

733 Elden St

Herndon, VA 20170-4636

Not trying to steal ppl from other meetups ^_^; Now that I think about it, it may make the most sense to do this in spring or summer of 2010 to space it as far away as possible from MAGFest and other stuff. When is the NC meetup?

You know, I've thought of this idea as well, but is there enough people around for that? That's cool that you have a hookup though, would go a long way to making it happen!

That's what I was wondering, and why I wanted to start a thread to gauge interest. I just hosted a showcase there on Saturday, and chatted with the owner a bit afterwards. I was trying to think of events that would draw enough people to be able to book a night, and I thought an OCR night would be a cool idea, I just don't know if enough people live close enough to attend and really fill out the room.

I also figured that people who are performing can advertise and try to bring their buddies/fans even if they are non-OCR types, but again, if people don't live close enough they probably won't have a whole lot of buddies in the area who could go.

BTW, if any of you DC folks ever want to get together and collaborate, I have a fairly decent sized space here in my basement studio with enough space to fit a handful of people. All you'd need to do is bring any instruments you'd want to play....except drums. Can't really record that here unless they're of the electronic variety. :)

Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there to see if there would be any interest in doing something like this. Who would be interested in performing, and what would you want to perform? Who would be interested in just going to see the show, and what would you want to see played? When would be a good time for the meetup?

I definitely like the sound of this. Unless it occurs on a day when I'm too busy or out of town, I'll make every effort to go. ...I'm not a good musician (and really awful at live performance) so I'd probably fall into the latter category of "interested in just going to see the show".

As for what I'd like to see played... I'm open to almost anything, though (especially if it's live) I have a bias towards vocal mixes and hip-hop. And DJP performing Hillbilly Rodeo live.

The place is called So Addictive Lounge and here is the address:

733 Elden St

Herndon, VA 20170-4636

Herndon is a bit out there, but hell if I'm willing to travel up to Baltimore or Philly for a meetup, then Herndon is no problem.

What kind of a place is it? Small and comfortable, wide and open, big/multi-level, or what? It wouldn't really affect whether or not I'd go; I'm just trying to get a picture. KF

What would be the required number to book a night?

Hmm, I didn't get a specific number from him, but I believe the max occupancy of the place is like 150, and if we got about 75-100 people who all stayed a while and had a few drinks, I think he would be happy with that.

I didn't really think about it, but 100 is really a lot of people. Esp. considering even a big event like VGL only got... OK I don't know the exact number of OCRers who went to the meetup but it was def. <100.

This makes me think that in order to pull this off, we would have to bring in a number of non-OCR people, which means we would have to appeal to a wider audience. We could do this by encouraging our performers to bring friends and do as much promoting as possible. Or we could try to appeal to a wider audience so that the bar could promote the event as a "dance night" or "electronic music fest" or even "video game music concert," but then that would restrict what we could reasonably perform. So yeah, could be complicated.

One more thought because Palpable just came here and to see what I was doing, and he had some input. The showcase I hosted was on a Saturday afternoon, and I think about 50-75 people went to that. They may be more flexible on what they do during the afternoons because there is less competition for those times. I personally think a nighttime event would be more fun, but if it's the difference between them letting us play there or not, then the afternoon slot would be better than nothing.

What kind of a place is it? Small and comfortable, wide and open, big/multi-level, or what? It wouldn't really affect whether or not I'd go; I'm just trying to get a picture. KF

Like I said, I believe max occupancy is ~150. It's actually a restaurant/bar with a little stage, so it's about restaurant-sized, one level. I would say it's about medium-sized for a restaurant in the suburbs with a big open space in front of the stage and lots of tables. They're also flexible about rearranging the layout, so if we wanted to clear more room for a dancefloor, or put in more tables for drinking and chatting, I think they would be open to ideas.

BTW, if any of you DC folks ever want to get together and collaborate, I have a fairly decent sized space here in my basement studio with enough space to fit a handful of people. All you'd need to do is bring any instruments you'd want to play....except drums. Can't really record that here unless they're of the electronic variety. :)

Hey that might be a lot of fun, too. I think just a DC area jam session would be fun, even if we didn't do any recording. So who else is in for DC area jam session/collab? :razz: