Final Fantasy XIII

AJ-enova

did anyone actually watch the video at the bottom

in both smallscreen and fullscreen the difference is nigh unidentifiable and while i'm no expert i've generally got a good eye for these things

i see nothing to worry about here people are making it sound like the x360 version looks like a micheal's corner drawing

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

michael ffs

Anyway, 360er's got a better deal on this than us PS3er's got on Bayonetta. So, as inclined as I am to laugh at the reduced quality, I will not.

Bayonetta killed kittens everywhere.

don't get me wrong, it's really close. the difference on a computer monitor is almost unnoticable. blow it up to a 47" flatscreen, though, and it DOES become noticable. particularly when you're a snob like me.

also, i can't really bring myself to put a FF disc into the 360. it'd be like loading a copy of halo into my PS3, or something. just too weird.

Almost everything about this game sounds wrong by what I've read.

- The main character was designed to be a female Cloud. lol

- They took away almost all elements that shows that the world is truly alive, like free-roaming exploring, city/town exploration. Important involving NPC. It's ultra linear as they call it,

- Tons of great looking backgrounds that shows a detailed and epic world, but you can't explore it.

- You are forced to level-grind even if you wouldn't want it. If not, you're doomed I've read.

- NO replay value whatsoever, nothing you can do at the end, except level grind some more.

And the message Square-Enix send is: Sacrifice ALL of the in depth good interactive stuff for better graphic.. man.. I'm getting sick here. 'vomits'.

Supporting this game is like supporting the down-side of video game development IMO.

But I heard the game has a lot of focus on story, and I think story is the most important thing in an RPG, but the synopsis I've read isn't impressive. Also, focusing on story shouldn't mean killing the interactive experience.

Man... Sakaguchi, I miss you. He was the heart of it all, he and Nobou.

don't get me wrong, it's really close. the difference on a computer monitor is almost unnoticable. blow it up to a 47" flatscreen, though, and it DOES become noticable. particularly when you're a snob like me.

also, i can't really bring myself to put a FF disc into the 360. it'd be like loading a copy of halo into my PS3, or something. just too weird.

Dude, where's your sense of integrity? FF should have stayed on Nintendo were it belongs. Oh, and those tratior bastards at Konami should never have ported Metal Gear to NES or made the sequels for PS1. Metal Gear is like an MSX flagship title, man.

Dude, where's your sense of integrity? FF should have stayed on Nintendo were it belongs. Oh, and those tratior bastards at Konami should never have ported Metal Gear to NES or made the sequels for PS1. Metal Gear is like an MSX flagship title, man.

i never said it was a travesty or something, just that it'd be strange :<

the graphics difference on the 360 really killed it for me. considering that i've played about 20 minutes of both versions, trust me when i say that there's a difference, and i didn't like it.

Almost everything about this game sounds wrong by what I've read.

- The main character was designed to be a female Cloud. lol

- They took away almost all elements that shows that the world is truly alive, like free-roaming exploring, city/town exploration. Important involving NPC. It's ultra linear as they call it,

- Tons of great looking backgrounds that shows a detailed and epic world, but you can't explore it.

- You are forced to level-grind even if you wouldn't want it. If not, you're doomed I've read.

- NO replay value whatsoever, nothing you can do at the end, except level grind some more.

And the message Square-Enix send is: Sacrifice ALL of the in depth good interactive stuff for better graphic.. man.. I'm getting sick here. 'vomits'.

Supporting this game is like supporting the down-side of video game development IMO.

But I heard the game has a lot of focus on story, and I think story is the most important thing in an RPG, but the synopsis I've read isn't impressive. Also, focusing on story shouldn't mean killing the interactive experience.

Man... Sakaguchi, I miss you. He was the heart of it all, he and Nobou.

...Surely you've noticed the irony in saying supporting this game is like supporting the down-side of video game development, and then following it up by saying how you miss Hironobu Sakaguchi, king of archaic design in our modern age of HD gaming?

If not, I've got a bridge to sell you over by yonder knoll.

No matter how linear it is, I still think it'l be an enjoyable game.

Personally didn't bother with side quests in older games so I can fairly say they're notnecessary.

Story looks interesting and original. Musci sounds good and FMV cutscenes look epic as fuck!

Also why are you bitching?

1. Bitching makes you look like an asshole

2. Bitching isn't going to improve the game

3. If you're gonna bitch about an FF game - bitch about VIII

4. Don't criticize something unless you're capable of making something better

In other words, if you like the game - play it. If not - DON'T!!

...Them's fightin' words, good sir. :<

Also, I can see where Prophet is coming from. There is definitely a loss in detail on the 360 version, although I have a small(well... if 32" 720p is small) TV, so I probably won't give a crap, however if you're in his position with a big TV like that, like it or not, that's gonna be a huge difference.

So did you actually get to play during those 20 minutes, Prophet? What'd you think of it?

...Them's fightin' words, good sir. :<

Also, I can see where Prophet is coming from. There is definitely a loss in detail on the 360 version, although I have a small(well... if 32" 720p is small) TV, so I probably won't give a crap, however if you're in his position with a big TV like that, like it or not, that's gonna be a huge difference.

So did you actually get to play during those 20 minutes, Prophet? What'd you think of it?

a bit of running around, a first-third-of-game battle (as in, couldn't do everything i wanted to do), and watched a cutscene. same on both consoles. it's not as noticeable during the running around section, kind of noticeable in the battles, but blink really takes a toll on a larger tv for the 360 version's cutscenes. any form of compression is noticeable if you know what you're looking for, and they really had to cram to make it fit. not to mention that 1080p has 55% or so more pixels than 720p.

not going to say where, because it's kind of a spoiler.

edit: i liked ffviii =( mostly because of the broken-ass battle system. but i still thought it was entertaining (six years ago).

No matter how linear it is, I still think it'l be an enjoyable game.

Personally didn't bother with side quests in older games so I can fairly say they're notnecessary.

Story looks interesting and original. Musci sounds good and FMV cutscenes look epic as fuck!

Also why are you bitching?

1. Bitching makes you look like an asshole

2. Bitching isn't going to improve the game

4. Don't criticize something unless you're capable of making something better

In other words, if you like the game - play it. If not - DON'T!!

Haha here comes another professor telling us that we should have no right to express our freedom of speech, saying that if we can't spend the, for the record, (historic fact) Sakaguchi empires - multi-millions of dollars making our own CGI scenes, we're not allowed to say that something is way off.

I'm gonna bitch :D when something that seems mediocre gets TONS of attention just because of the name it bears. If this game had a new name, it wouldn't succeed. That's my bet.

Also, Sakaguchi CREATED final fantasy. These new guys just use the name.

Another thing, we spend, we keep companies alive... we are allowed to bitch until we lose our breath

Not that we HAVE to spend, but still.. when we WANT to spend, but decide not to BECAUSE of something, it's human nature to explain why HAHAHAH

i wish it was in a different language so i didn't have to realize how bad the lyrics are.

while the song fits nicely imo the lyrics suck we can all agree on that

Haha here comes another person who has played the game just as much as me (read: hasn't) telling us that we should not be idiots and bash a game we've never played, saying that if we can't spend the, for the record, doesn't really matter because it doesn't make any sense.

I'm gonna bitch :D when something that seems too well-known to be what "true" gamers play gets TONS of attention just because of the well-earned pedigree of its series. If this game had a new name, no one would hold it to the same unrealistic standard that is the very reason i'm prematurely damning it for. That's my bet.

Also, Sakaguchi CREATED final fantasy. These new guys just also create final fantasy.

my last paragraph makes no senseHAHAHAH

fixed

Haha here comes another professor telling us that we should have no right to express our freedom of speech, saying that if we can't spend the, for the record, (historic fact) Sakaguchi empires - multi-millions of dollars making our own CGI scenes, we're not allowed to say that something is way off.

I'm gonna bitch :D when something that seems mediocre gets TONS of attention just because of the name it bears. If this game had a new name, it wouldn't succeed. That's my bet.

Also, Sakaguchi CREATED final fantasy. These new guys just use the name.

Another thing, we spend, we keep companies alive... we are allowed to bitch until we lose our breath

Not that we HAVE to spend, but still.. when we WANT to spend, but decide not to BECAUSE of something, it's human nature to explain why HAHAHAH

I have to agree here.. Blue Dragon was more of a Final Fantasy than the post-Sakaguchi square ever made. Even Lost Odyssey is. These new games they're making since FF12 try to be something else while still keeping the name. They're not the same tried and true formula that any of the other FFs stick to. It's the reason this is going to have pretty bad reviews. I still pre-ordered it and I'll probably love it, but I miss the good old days of overworlds, airships, and understandable battle systems.

I have to agree here.. Blue Dragon was more of a Final Fantasy than the post-Sakaguchi square ever made. Even Lost Odyssey is. These new games they're making since FF12 try to be something else while still keeping the name. They're not the same tried and true formula that any of the other FFs stick to. It's the reason this is going to have pretty bad reviews. I still pre-ordered it and I'll probably love it, but I miss the good old days of overworlds, airships, and understandable battle systems.

there's one big issue here, though - blue dragon SUCKED. it was horrid - the voice acting was dumb, level design was bad, battle system was simplified to the point of annoyance (attack, attack, win!), etc. it was just a terrible game.

FF12 - and, by extension, FF13 - ARE following in the tried and true formula of FF games. they've got excellent character development (relative to when the game came out), a strong story (same caveat), and a complex battle system. they have items and characters that continue to exist in each game (summons, airship-type vehicles, swords and magic coexisting with guns and machinery).

the big difference is that each game continued to innovate within the genre. FF4 is possibly the best rpg on the SNES - but rather than continue in the same middle-age gameplay, FF6 involved tanks, guns, and an even larger cast of characters while still having a strong storyline. FF7 continued that trend and revolutionized the level that graphics were held to. FF8 tried a new battle system (some liked it, most didn't), while adding in an even more extensive storyline, a larger world, and more variety in the characters, while allowing more customization with the AP system from FF6. FF9 tried a wholly different art style, and combined it with a profoundly philosophical storyline, making a very different game that was still recognizable as being FF. FFX introduced voice acting and politics to the series, while improving the battle system (better ATB battling, swapping characters mid-fight, more customizable character 'roles'). 12 went a completely different direction with the battle system (read: they made battling in an RPG the way it's supposed to be, rather than all this separate screen nonsense). more politics, a clearer storyline that was more condensed, and had the introduction to the gambit system which should have transformed gaming the way we know it if people couldn't stop bitching about not having enough control (this isn't starcraft, people!).

innovation is a hallmark of the FF series, not a mark against it. the point of these games is not to continue with what has always worked - let someone else retread old storylines and possibilities. FF games define progress in gaming over the last fifteen years. sakaguchi does not.

if you want to keep playing the same old games over and over again, go ahead. i want something fresh, new, and exciting, taking advantage of the latest in hardware and game development. what doesn't move forward is stagnating, and stagnation does nothing for anyone. you think you could do better? i've thought that about a lot of the game industry in the last ten years i've been really into games. that's why i work for two independent game companies and try to make games that people WANT to play, games that move the industry forward as a whole instead of allowing it to sit on its laurels and rot. if you want to change something, get off your fat ass and do something about it. don't sit there and complain about people who want to change, be proactive and change something yourself besides your underwear for once.

i think it's particularly funny that you, someone who hasn't come within a mile of the physical disc yet, know that the game will be bad. i wish i were as smart as you. as someone who has either played or watched someone else play the game for the first fifteen hours, i can tell you that this is not a bad game. it is an excellent game, a game that will by definition influence most other RPGs for years to come. in what way? i don't know yet. but to say that the first current-gen FF game on a system that's four years into a ten-year lifespan is influential is to state bald truth. that's how the industry rolls.

if you want to bitch about it, go ahead. but don't say idiotic things and expect it to be accepted as troof.

You're all wrong obviously, stagnant genres are cool. Armored Core is a great series of games. Extremely bold new games are good, Sapce Giraffe is one of the best ever. Final Fantasy XIII will not by definition influence most other RPGs for years to come. Sakaguchi can only write mediocre but enjoyable stories. Most FF games were good because they were right in the time and had a good team backing them, the synergy.

Now go sit down in your couch and play some games instead.

They've been innovating in Final Fantasy ever since Final Fantasy II introduced a different take on character progression, an actual storyline as opposed to 8-bit D&D nonsense, and a predetermined set of characters. The whole prime directive of the series is to change things up in every installment, while keeping things familiar via a unified aesthetic and certain series staples like chocobos/moogles/behemoths/crystals/Cid/etc.

If anything, getting Sakaguchi out of the picture was the best thing that ever happened to the series.