Sign in to follow this  
FireSlash

OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

I just checked the TF2 Beta Updates thread while talking to some people in #ocremix.

Apparently voting is being rolled directly into TF2 and is now present in the Beta, along with a Coaching system and a new Replays system.

Guess I'm not going to bother updating Mapchooser Extended after all, as it will quickly be obsolete.

I just checked the TF2 Beta Updates thread while talking to some people in #ocremix.

Apparently voting is being rolled directly into TF2 and is now present in the Beta, along with a Coaching system and a new Replays system.

Guess I'm not going to bother updating Mapchooser Extended after all, as it will quickly be obsolete.

Oh yeah, Beta. That thing I have but never really play.

We've released a mandatory TF2 update. The details are below.

-Eric

------------------------------------

Team Fortress 2

- Fixed a server crash caused by using the Half-Zatoichi to hit someone not holding a weapon.

- Fixed the Soldier/Demoman taunts not working correctly when the Half-Zatoichi is the active weapon.

- Fixed the Concheror animations not always playing correctly for players on the Blue team.

- Fixed a bug where players could switch weapons after deploying the Half-Zatoichi before they killed someone with it.

- Updated The Shogun Pack items to be tradeable.

- Crafting changes

--- All recipes are now known to all players.

--- Reduced the cost of most recipes.

--- Items previously crafted using recipes that will be reduced in this update have been upgraded to Vintage quality.

Updating servers now. Servers have been restarted.

Also, interesting that they made crafting recipes take less stuff but make the old crafted versions vintage...

- Crafting changes

--- All recipes are now known to all players.

--- Reduced the cost of most recipes.

--- Items previously crafted using recipes that will be reduced in this update have been upgraded to Vintage quality.

^ this.

I've thought for a while now that the metal requirements on some items was really off center. Seriously? 2 refined + another weapon for some stuff? Tad too pricey for those just getting into the game or who don't play non-stop.

Sweet, now I have a few extra Vintage items, including the Sun-on-a-Stick I just crafted like two days ago. It's kind of weird having items that were just released two months ago turn Vintage, though. :P

In the grand scheme of things, though, this is a great idea. I've been trying to feed my brother any duplicate drops that he doesn't have, because I know it would take him months of constant playing to come close to crafting the entire weapons set.

Sweet, now I have a few extra Vintage items, including the Sun-on-a-Stick I just crafted like two days ago. It's kind of weird having items that were just released two months ago turn Vintage, though. :P

In the grand scheme of things, though, this is a great idea. I've been trying to feed my brother any duplicate drops that he doesn't have, because I know it would take him months of constant playing to come close to crafting the entire weapons set.

You may want to point him in the direction of the Reddit armory. Their purpose is to give new players some of the weapons that they do not have so that they don't have to spend months crafting them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/g4a6b/reddit_armory_update_migrating_location/

I find the parody hilarious. As for the retaliation itself I can only feel nothing but pure, blissful, joyous, inspiring, invigorating, exhilarating, and justified satisfaction.

Yeah, saw that on Reddit. However, I really don't find IRL violence and bullying all that "funny".

Perhaps, but you cannot deny the shadenfreude that comes from a bully getting beat up by the...bulliee?

In completely unrelated news, I am now a (sort of) published writer on Top Tier Tactics. (What is it called when you contribute the data and the writeup, but the other guy actually does the formatting and posting?) Only took him around three months to post it, but it's there, and already out of date thanks to the Kunai and Half-Zatoichi. I am still inordinately happy about it.

In completely unrelated news, I am now a (sort of) published writer on Top Tier Tactics. (What is it called when you contribute the data and the writeup, but the other guy actually does the formatting and posting?) Only took him around three months to post it, but it's there, and already out of date thanks to the Kunai and Half-Zatoichi. I am still inordinately happy about it.

It's great that you're published, but no mention of how the corpse it drops is different if you're disguised as your own team? No mention of the silent decloak effect with the Saharan Spy set? No mention of missing particle effects if the player they're disguised as is wearing an unusual hat?

As for new stuff, it's important to note that the Fan o' War's effect does not show for cloaked Spies (or not that I noticed). However, it will appear while they're disguised and uncloaked.

As I recall, the Half-Zoitichi does not grant its heal bonus for "killing" a Spy with the DR out. I haven't tested the Kunai.

The intent was not to cover disguises, but merely to document what weapons do and do not make a feign death obvious. Could I have gone into more detail about other aspects? Yes. Would I have ever finished if I did? Probably not. :P

Edit now that I'm at a proper computer:

I originally wanted to do more research, but it took me long enough just to finish documenting effects on kill and how they interact with fake deaths. Unusuals simply didn't occur to me, and neither myself nor my testing partner had one anyway. The extra tidbits listed at the end were merely observations I made by chance, not specific test goals.

I'll probably follow up on this later, but who knows when that will be.

I'm going to be setting up a TF2 Beta server again to test how voting works in it.

Simply put: I want to suggest to Valve as many improvements to the built-in voting system as possible before it goes live... mainly features that Mapchooser Extended has that TF2's built-in voting doesn't.

I'll announce it here once I have it set up.

Oh, testing koth_badlands might be interesting too. Same for the Coaching system.

Beta server is up at 206.217.135.94:27015

This is the old Highlander server address.

Note: Switching to koth_badlands seems to crash the server.

lolwut

Way to go, Valve?

I know.

Anyway, played on Beta a bit. I'm not impressed with the map voting... there's no equivalent of rtv or nominate.

Oh well, this might be the motivation I need to fix some issues with mapchooser extended.

Badlands is an awful map anyway.

No loss IMO.

I can't say I'm a fan of Badlands proper myself, but I think Powerlord was just talking about the new KOTH version.

Also, I've just had two hats drop on me in as many days: a Prancer's Pride, and a Stainless Pot. This is after getting only one hat drop in my previous 250+ hours of play (two if you count my Whiskered Gentleman), and only owning two drop-able hats prior to this. I don't know what kind of lucky streak I'm on, but I like it. :D

I can't say I'm a fan of Badlands proper myself, but I think Powerlord was just talking about the new KOTH version.

Also, I've just had two hats drop on me in as many days: a Prancer's Pride, and a Stainless Pot. This is after getting only one hat drop in my previous 250+ hours of play (two if you count my Whiskered Gentleman), and only owning two drop-able hats prior to this. I don't know what kind of lucky streak I'm on, but I like it. :D

You could say you are a.....

8)

Top Gunner...

YEEEEAAHHHHHH!!!

Sadly, these lucky streaks are few and far between... my last two hats were on two consecutive days back in... January, I think. After a 9 month period with no hat drops.

It took me well over 100 hours for my first hat to drop (and that was a hatless Scout), but my brother got a Camera Beard within his first 20. There's a really huge range.

(Man, I'm kind of disappointed that my new Pot isn't paintable. I just had Australium Gold drop, and it would look pretty damn awesome.)

Steam clocks me in at just over 400 hours. I think I've only had two hat drops during that time.

I guess hats just don't drop at the drop of a hat. :lol: