Opening up NES carts

Sir_Snooze

So, I'm too lazy to buy the screwdriver, but I really, REALLY wanna clean my Nintendo games. I've been told that you can mold your own tool (kinky) by lighting some plastic and ramming it in there; does anyone have better ideas that don't involve the screwdriver, or experience opening the games, or whatever?

I have done heat up plastic rod method but if you have a lot of games you'd be better off buying one. What you do is take a piece of plastic and heat it up to the point where it's moldable but not dripping everywhere and smoosh it into your screwhole of choice. Pull it straight up and let it cool.

For the non-security screw games a regular flathead will work. IIRC Tengen carts use a different screw entirely... I'm too lazy to check.

comedy option: hammertime!

Considering the damage one might do by opening them up the wrong way, the price of a GameBit doesnt seem so bad...

I havent tried the plastic mold method, but it sounds bit weak, especially if you happen to encounter a really tight screw.

I actually made a tri-wing that fits the old gameboys, filing one by hand, and I must say that buying a factory made one sounds like a lot better option.

So, I'm too lazy to buy the screwdriver, but I really, REALLY wanna clean my Nintendo games. I've been told that you can mold your own tool (kinky) by lighting some plastic and ramming it in there; does anyone have better ideas that don't involve the screwdriver, or experience opening the games, or whatever?

Just out of curiosity, what do you need to clean on an NES cart that a cotton swab and alcohol on the contacts won't fix? That's all I've ever needed to clean to get some of my Ebay finds working.

Hmm, if you are really intent on opening the card without getting the correct bit, then I recommend the bic pen method, where you take a end of a regular bic pen (the kind with white casing is recommended, but the clear casing works too), melt it with a lighter (it becomes roughly the consistency of putty), stuff it over the screw, wait a little while for it to mold, then cool it down with ice (frozen vegetables work too :D), water or whatever. and then hopefully it will work. Though actually I have only tried this with opening gamecubes, and do not know how well it works on NES carts. I suspect it would be harder, because while the gamecube had holes that were larger than the diameter of the bic pen, NES carts have very small holes, so it would be more difficult to get a good mold.

You should totally try it out though, but like somebody else said, if you plan on opening a lot of carts, then I would recommend getting a real bit, seeing as how the bic pens only work for a limited number of screws.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need to clean on an NES cart that a cotton swab and alcohol on the contacts won't fix? That's all I've ever needed to clean to get some of my Ebay finds working.

I got a pile of games from an attic that a co-worker's mom's relative-person was going to throw out. They are in DREADFUL condition - the only way those contacts can be saved is with fine, fine sandpaper to the contacts (or eraser). The swab tried and failed. The only solution I can see is to open 'em.