*NO* Dr. Mario 'Diagnosis'

djpretzel

Hey djpretzel-

This is a remix of the "Chill" theme in Dr. Mario on NES, as kind of a downtempo, almost chillout song. It's called "Diagnosis."

Since it's hosted by Angelfire (no other place to host), and Angelfire doesn't allow remote linking, you'll have to right-click+save target as and download the file, or just paste the link into IE.

Here it is:

Known as MightyMarg, please list my email if accepted. No real website, but I guess you could list my SectionZ profile at http://www.sectionz.com/artist.asp?SZID=13426

Thanks.

Nice work here, MightyMarg. The overall package is pretty interesting. And though I guess that ending at 3:32 was an homage to the game, boy did it not work. Starting out here with only a few elements in play, the one particularly bad thing I noticed (from 0:00-0:20) were that those exposed cymbals decayed too quickly and sounded completely unnatural. It's a minor point as they fit in much better once the strings came in at :21, but just be careful about allowing something like that to slide. You also can't just use the same sample noise of the same cymbal crash over and over and over and over and over. You get the point. I wouldn't have minded the bass pad being upped as well so it was at least more noticeable.

Personally, I didn't like the synth lead used for the "Chill" melody at all. It contrasted too heavily with the rest of the chillout style here. Maybe a little more reverb on it would help (as more reverb is the solution to all of mankind's ills). The percussion pattern could have at least used subtle changes throughout the track to keep this varied up while not disturbing the broader feel. It also wouldn't have been difficult to include some rearranged or original sections of your own that would have fit comfortably within the framework of such a nice downtempo mix. Do whatever you can to break the monotony and enhance the variation.

We're pretty much all in agreement that we like the general flow here, but you're gonna need some more ideas here so that this isn't repetitive, so that this provides some rearrangement, and so this possesses some sort of observable direction and movement from start to finish. If you're willing to put in the effort, then we'd look forward to a resubmission.

Diagnosis: NO