Zelda 2 Battle/Cave metal remix

jabond23

Hey guys. I did this just cause i love the theme. I don't plan on subbing this. Unless of course it has any sort of potential. I just thought i do this real quick. I'm sure i've got other remix matters to attend to, but its nice to take a break and do something for fun, lol.

I hope you guys enjoy it! :D

stats.png

The panel would smite thee for the following:

- Rigid, fake-sounding synth intro

- Key conflicts, meaning off key notes

- Some sloppiness to the solo, a couple off-key notes in it

- Mechanical percussion

- Somewhat undefined production; muddy, lead or "solo" should be raised in volume

- Better EQ for the rhythm guitars to give them more clarity

There IS potential, yet the song seems half-done and needs some cleaning up. You're off to a great start though, don't give up!

That's what it sounds like to be judged. It hurt me more than it hurt you. :-(

Finished? No.

Awesome? Yes.

More? DUH!

Although I have to listen to this on low volume since people are sleeping in the house, this sounds awesome! I honestly don't see why you wouldn't want to make this submitable. It would go great with the rest o' the metal mixes here.

But I'll download it whether or not you submit it, lol. :)

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I think this suffers from the same issues as your last Zelda metal remix; the mixing is not nearly as clean as it should be and your rhythm guitars/drums are obscuring your leads or drowning them out, which definitely detracts from the overall effect :-(

Your performance is solid and your soloing is very enjoyable, it feels very personalized :-) Your guitar tone is also very adeptly chosen; in general, anything to do with guitars seem to be the strong point of your mixes. You're working with some subpar samples for both drums and orchestral instruments, unfortunately, which makes the parts that aren't supported by rhythm/lead guitars seem lackluster. I think if you spent some time searching through free or cheap sample libraries, you could come up with some much fuller sounding samples that could greatly benefit your songs.

Other nitpicks: there's a moment in the synth line where the groove on the lead gets cut off and it just sounds weird at 1:11. The ending, too - where is it? It kinda just trails off with no conclusion, which definitely hurts the song overall :-(

Really, I think you should try and talk to someone like sixto or any of the people on The Shizz forums who can help you get down the production for this style of music; it's tough to get it sounding right but I still think you're falling short of the bar on the production side and it's going to hurt your chances of passing the panel. Someone who knows the ins-and-outs of this maximalist style of metal/rock would be able to help you infinitely more than I can, but I do know that this likely wouldn't make it past the OCR panel if you submitted it.

Tighten up your production and get some better instrumental samples, it would do your arrangements a world of justice and I think you could get something past the panel soon enough if you put in the effort :-) Best of luck!

I appreciate your comments Emunator. :D

Yeah, i realized that too about the drums and strings. I change both those samples to some better sounding ones. The strings are now the Miroslav Philharmonik samples. That and i messed around with the mixing in terms of compression and EQ and i think i got everything to sound a bit better.

stats.png

Also, i do plan on adding an ending of sorts. Just trying to get the production done first. :)

Great arrangement, it is very cool.

Your samples sound good in this last version, I really like the harp-like at the beginning with the synth, sounds great. And the guitar tone is just perfect. The only little thing I could say is that the drums sound kinda "weak" at some moments (during the break before the end), but that's nothing.

Continue to rock, man!

Glad to see someone tackle that one. More Zelda 2 is always welcome!

As usual, keeping track of your wips versions when they all have the same name is my worst nightmare. :lol:

This one seems to be number 4 though...

The original melody is extremely catchy, making it easy to integrate into the mix and to rely on for a melodic hook.

Though I'm not convinced by the sound choice in the begining. Plus the empty atmosphere doesn't really work in your favor.

Try using some cross-delay on that harp, and adding alternative rolls and plucks to give it a more realistic/humanesque feel.

Also, it may be interesting to vary slightly the original melody on just a few instances.

You've got a very full sound overall, with a tight prod right out of the bat.

The part from 0:45 has a Castlevania feel to it, and I dig the distinctive sound you have here.

It's slightly different from the usual tone, while retaining your metalcore trademark style.

It fits the song prefectly. Really great sound you've achieved here.

At 1:05, the lead should deviate from the midrange and go tackle the highs more, the way you usually do it in your solos.

The synth directly afterwards sounds cool in itself. But it doesn't blend very well with the instrumentation.

However, it blends in nicely with the production. So it's not so much of a technical issue than it is an inauspicious sound choice.

I'm not the expert on electronica by all means, so I leave it to more synth-savy people to comment on.

And at 1:52, the harp returns and makes the simple melody layered on top of a thin soundscape more obvious... and kinda out of place.

Also, during those parts the drums/toms sound a bit dry and sparse. Add a few more occurences, and raise the room reverb on those.

Finally, 2 minutes 41 seconds is short. I'm sure you could easily extend the song to 3:10 or so.

Some more work on sound choice/design as well as pushing your mix a little further should hopefully bring you closer to completion.

This is a good mix with nice prod and great potential. Now make it awesome! ;)

I should really finish one before starting another, lol.

This version i made the synth leads a lot more dynamic. Some extra rolls and quick scales to help make it blend better rather than it just being the original notes playing over the song. That goes for intro as well the other parts of the song that have the synth lead. I also messed around with the quiet part before the song kicks back in after the solo. All the suggestions Dj Mokram made i took into consideration and applied them to the mix. :D

stats.png

• 2 weeks later...