Rad Racer 2 (NES) - Fire in the Tires (Gum Ball Crash)

Level 99

Level 99 - Fire in the Tires (FINAL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Source tune: Rad Racer 2 (NES) - Gum Ball Crash

My remix, which is already at WIP2 - Fire in the Tires:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ncy1ehkjjzz

Where I'm taking it from here:

Going to drastically change the second verse+chorus to remove much of the guitars and put in either a piano or organ and some synths.

Better noodling during the solo

Pads and synths during the bridge section

More refined ending climax

50's rock style claps during the second chorus, the bridge, and the final chorus.

More drum variation

-------

This one is more of a revamp of the original track plus some of my own material in there to switch it up. It's not nearly as drastically different from the source as some of my other stuff. It's still a tad too coverish at the moment, but the planned changes for the second verse+chorus and the ending, along with the current bridge section, will end up being enough to keep it from being a cover.

Let me know what you think, folks!

lol, nice source choice (never heard it before, but it's pretty catchy - kinda reminds me of that 'Yo Noid' game). I didn't know Square made anything other than Final Fantasy & it's clones :tomatoface:.

As mentioned, it's 'coverish', and as you know it's a problem if you want it on OCR. Doesn't matter to me, frankly - the world needs covers just as much as it needs OCRemixes. But yeah, it's very much a cover with a cool middle section, atm.

I'm reading what you're going to do to the track... Well, for what it's worth, it actually sounds really nice without any of the bells and whistles you're planning on adding (pads, organ, etc.). I can't say for sure whether adding pads is going to help the track or hurt the feeling, in the long run. That's my opinion, though - if you like it better with pads and such, great. I'm just saying they're not necessary to 'fill the space' or anything.

I liked the section in the middle - it broke up the music quite nicely. I think it would be effective to come back to the source material hard, when you do - change the song into something that's really 'yours', when you come back. It'll give it a whole lot more flavor, and it'll sound much less 'coverish'.

The overall soundscape is pretty good, but it sounds like there's a lot of extra distortion that's just 'there' in the high area. My speakers are not that great, so I'd need someone to confirm that but that's what I'm hearing, atm. If it's there, clean up the EQ so it doesn't emphasis the fuzz so much (by knocking some of the highs down a little bit).

You mentioned you were going to change the drums around significantly, and I agree with that change wholeheartedly :wink:.

Those are my thoughts on it... yeah, I'm as guilty of it as anybody, but if there's a game that isn't as popular on here, it won't get as much attention as other games (IT ISZN'T MEGAMAN!!1! MEGA-BUMMER!!), so that's probably why this one didn't get as much love on here. Hope this helps.

Very nice rocking track.. I like a the atmospheric guitar bits in the middle a lot. One crit that I can think of is that the bassline sounds a little jumpy, you have rests (muting) in the line, whereas by letting the notes sound fully would maybe give the track a more "rolling", forwards rhythmic feel. Hope that makes sense!

The overall soundscape is pretty good, but it sounds like there's a lot of extra distortion that's just 'there' in the high area. My speakers are not that great, so I'd need someone to confirm that but that's what I'm hearing, atm. If it's there, clean up the EQ so it doesn't emphasis the fuzz so much (by knocking some of the highs down a little bit).

I get the feeling that it's *very full* of guitars, which is great but it's somehow a little too much.. tiring to the ears, so I think what I'm hearing is what you are saying.

edit: I also agree with Gario that this track is fine with just the guitars.

--Eino

IMO I think the guitars are kind of creating a wall of sound.

Some EQ to find a more a sweet spot might help. I think the lead guitar sounds very... I dunno, mono-ish... It's just not coming across as dimensional, it's flat.

The bass, and some of the panning in other guitars help, but I think more concentration building your guitar sound around your ears could help. I hear details, but I wish I could hear them better, I hear awesome nuances in the accompany but everything sounds like I'm standing outside the door at a party, and want to get in to hear the whole spectrum. Do you have some sort of filtering on the whole song or some of the guitars?

So, since I don't know how to talk about guitars or how to pan them, let me just suggest for you to try to go for a more "stereo" full sound, try to define each guitar in where it sits in the mix.

Drums actually sound okay to me, they manage to pop out of the wall of guitars for me decently.

Anyway, love the tone, love the nuances, bass sounds fine on my headphones.

I can TOTALLY imagine some great synth accompany, don't let me down Stevo, it's in my head already... Do some CRAZY 4 octave pitchbends plz. Do some insanely high notes and break up up parts like 2:00 with some insane INSANE DRIVING soloing plz.

Good luck awesome dude :J

• 2 weeks later...

I like the clarity of the track, now - the EQ'ing is quite clean. The extra likes and such that are through the track add some flavor to it all that I can appreciate, so nice work with it :nicework:.

The change-up in style roughly a minute into it helps it along quite nicely, too. I feel all the changes you made changed it from 'cover' to 'ReMix', so I believe you're fine, in that aspect.

The bass presence isn't too hot, atm. With the driving sound that it has, the bass should be stronger. Bring em' out.

The echo at the end is a bit annoying - clean up the cutoff, there. I know you can do it :P.

Otherwise, it's great. Love the sound. I hope people are missing out on this only because the other track we're working on is taking everyone's attention away :tomatoface:.

Great stuff!

oh man that synth is so good

this is awesome. rocking arrangement, very clean production, great stereo width, and (as always) a fantastic guitar performance. if i'm gonna be picky I'd say the ending was a bit abrupt but that's a very minor personal complaint and i'm not really encouraging you to change it since it was obviously your intention.

continue being awesome. :nicework:

You already changed this one from Mod Review, but I just wanted to say that this is awesome and should have no problem passing the panel. If I had to nitpick, the drumloop that you repeatedly use during the breakdown and again after that with the the snare hits gets a little grating, and I wouldn't mind seeing that change up a bit (I can get you a timestamp if you don't know which one I'm talking about) but ehh, if you've already called it finished I don't think it's a dealbreaker by any means :-)

Nice work bro!