The Discovery and Hero's Battle

jabond23

Hey guys. I haven't had much time to really get on here like i wanted to recently due to work....ugh...work..,..anyways, i've been recording a ton of new material due to some big inspirations lately. Mostly power/prog metal, but catchy stuff that i hope you guys will enjoy. :D

First is The Discovery. I really like how the chorus turned out in this one:

stats.png

Second is Hero's Battle. This one reminds me of something from an action/fantasy movie soundtrack. Hence the harp intro and classical guitars in the background:

stats.png

I hope you guys enjoy them as they are part of my next original album that i've almost got finished. :D

Allright, let's hear these new songs!

Hero's battle:

Overall I like the electro-orchestral and metal combination that makes this piece flirt with what we can hear in some modern-era jRPGs.

The intro effectively builds-up the right kind of atmosphere, so when the song kicks off, we definitely know we're in for one epic battle. ;)

The composition, while softer compared to some of your other works, is flowing nicely, with a consistent sound and a good amount of variety.

It's evenly paced with frequent breaks, leaving room to breath and keeping the song from being stuck into a repetitive pattern.

The guitar is once again the star of the show, with those fierce and eloquent solos, unsurprisingly being the high points of the song.

The melodies played by both piano and synth work well with the guitar parts, toning down the metal a bit, but creating the right balance in soundscape.

However, I think the piano (or/and harp?) sequencing is bit rigid, requiring some humanization work in your part.

Also, are you still using the DFH kits? That snare sounds pretty dead center and dry.

It's especially annoying in this song since the track has a more atmospheric approach, thus needing reverb to build the proper ambience.

The Discovery:

It's a rather disturbing piece, with an unsettling composition, and use of dissonances.

Those guitar chugs mean business! They really put emphasis on the already extremely dark tone by adding a tangible feeling of wrath and rage.

I don't have much to criticize, except maybe for my usual "snare drum complain", which by now sounds more like a personal bias than an objective critic.

Other than that, nothing production-wise annoying enough to spoil the listening experience of someone who would enjoy the song's composition.

Not digging this particular piece as much as usual, but my opinion doesn't remove anything from your performance.

And from what I'm hearing here, that certainly won't prevent me from looking forward to your next album. :D

Keep on rockin' Joe!

This over-all composition fills my need for ascending progressions. I will agree with Dj Mokram and say that the midi is a little off from the rest of the track. The snare sounds like it's hitting right at 2.5k and that's it. I'm guessing you rolled off the top and bottom to add more headroom. It sucks because this track is just my style as far as composition. However, the violins on at the last build of the song are spectacular. They definitely bring the whole thing to where it needs to be. I think that the mix could use some professional engineering help, but it's outstanding considering how much is actually going on. Keep at it!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the songs. :D

As for production wise, i think i've come a long ways from when i first started out recording my own stuff, but i know i need more practice still though. I do like both tracks, but Hero's Battle does flow a lot nicer than The Discovery. Both songs are in drop B, but i that Hero's Battle is much easier song to listen to. I wrote The Discovery to be a darker and meaner song while Hero's Battle is obviously a more upbeat song. As for the snare i'm using, it is DFH, and i'm getting better at using it properly. I've actually got some newer versions of both songs. I'm gonna upload them in a few minutes for listening.