ecco tides of time electric-metal or something

Mak Eightman

Compliment or critique taken (whichever it was, I'm... not sure).

I troll'd you a minute ago, so I'll make it up a little bit and give you some advice. :tomatoface:

I'm not familiar with the source, so I can't say whether or not it's conservative/liberal/whatever, but I think the arrangement is neat, atm (even if it's short). I'd need the source to clarify whether it's OCR-able or not. It feels more like an intro to something longer, though, with the guitar really blasting like that towards the end, there - we need more sections to this track really embellishing what you can do on that guitar.

The mixing is amateur (which is why you're asking about it, I'm sure). There just doesn't seem to be enough room for the guitar to shine past the drums & rhythm guitar. You're going to need to mix some of the elements into the background and/or make use of the panning so it isn't quite as centered (I hear some panning, but with the rhythm guitars there could be more).

The master track has an extremely high EQ, atm. Lower the highs a bit along with the mid-highs. That'll take out the 'fuzz' that's taking up the entire top layer, atm.

The synths are abrasive. Use some synths that mesh with your soundscape better - softer is better, in this case, especially since you bring in the guitar later (thus really allowing for a neat contrast). The attack on the synth around 2/3 into the track is far too high. Tighten up the attack so the note entries are cleaner.

It's really a cool track that I encourage people to listen to. It needs some real cleaning up/arranging before it's an OCR piece, though.

Dead on Gario. Right now, I hear a lot of high mids in this mix. The drums feel way below the mark here. I would switch out that kick and snare for something a little more human sounding. I'm not sure if the dolphin sounds are really adding to the track either. They sound a little distracting for the most part. The guitar patches are alright, but could be better (at least some EQ changes). I am not familiar with the source either, but I think this track may be a little too short to get onto OCR. I like the current arrangement however, and I'm hoping you'll clean the track up and re-post :-)

Oh Btw.... I'm currently recruiting for the.... oh wait. My bad Gario :-P

Max, if you're gonna rant, do it so we understand what you're talking about. What's this 'format" are you talking about. Also, the most remixed game on ocr is Chrono Trigger. :P

Anyway, I'm with Gario on this. Drums should be a little softer so the guitar can get through. I like how the drums are punchy and clear, so avoid losing that when you fix the levels on it. You could drop the kick level a bit and take out some of the low frequencies of it and the toms with an eq, they're screwing with the compression (just listen to how the crashes' volume dodge the kick and snare). Not sure if the snare also needs this procedure, your own ears should tell you so if the drums end up poorly balanced after my suggestion (or any similar edits to them).

Your lead synth is shrill (EQ/filter it), and there's some weird static around where the kick comes in (which is a cool effect but doesn't quite fit here imo). On my first listen (btw, that was before your rant, but on poor speakers so I didn't comment then), I was surprised at how long it took for the track to actually get to the metal part. :P

There's some thoughts for fixing it up. Yes I know I'm contradicting Gario on the overall EQ. You should find yourself a metal track that's mixed well and use that for comparison, that should tell you both levels and frequency balance better than we can on a quick listen or two.

Not familiar with the source, but your track reminds me of other Ecco mixes I've heard (mostly one by wildfire :D). I guess that puts the source in a more or less prominent position, but don't take my word for it.