Acoustic or Electric?

duskvstweak

I really enjoyed the acoustic take on Mega Man with "Coiled Copper Wire" and now "The Quick and the Blue". It's cool, because Mega Man has plenty of electric to spare and these different takes are wicked atmospheric. But, at the same time, I really enjoyed the electric take on "Dolphin Ride" by Monkey Kong. I'm just wondering what people get more excited about, an electric take or an acoustic, and what would you switch up if you could?

Right now, I'm all about the acoustic and would love to hear an acoustic take of "One Winged Angel" (if you know of one, please tell me!)

Honestly, it depends on the mood, and how far abstracted you want to get from the source tune.

You pointed out the two most recent acoustic renditions of Mega Man 2 songs, which demonstrates the abstracted. It's always good to hear a fresh, unique perspective on the same source. There's also stuff like Vampire Spanker for Castlevania, and untold other amounts of tunes that wouldn't have thought to have been acoustic.

Then you have tunes like Quickening and Theme of Love for Guitar Duet, which seem to embody the spirit of the source in a similar "sound vehicle", if you will.

Of course, on the other hand, you have Sixto's ridiculous Mega Man 2 track that recently came out, showing a modernizing of the spirit of the original in electric form.

And, so that the contrast isn't left out on this side, you pointed out Dolphin Ride. Lunatic Moon from VotL is another great choice of electric based on softer source.

Bottom line: it's ALL good.

I like both, together and separately. Mixing electric and acoustic is a very full, rich sound. The first thing that comes to mind is Tenacious D. They have many songs that feature both acoustic and electric guitar and the sound is very unique.

All kinds of electric and acoustic instruments together can make for a really interesting sound. James Horner purposefully used an electronic choir on the Titanic soundtrack along with a full live orchestra and the effect is beautiful and eerie.