Football season is back!

zykO

so there isn't a football thread and i know at least a dozen of you who follow the NFL so let's get this party started!

Let's talk about anything... the season, fantasy, odds... whatever's clever...

I also just went live with my sports blog at http://zykomonkey.blogspot.com/ where i'll be doing picks and power rankings and video fantasy updates so check it out if you'd like a one-stop info hub

so i'm curious.... who y'all got going in the super bowl? lol

Detroit Lions vs Cleveland Browns.

Lions win 3 - 0 with a last second field goal from the Browns 46 yard line.

Hahahaha. I lol'd I'm sure the lions will win. They should have beat the bears. But we all know how refs can be sometimes.

And win by more then 3 :P

Football Season: n. The time of greatest anguish for a Bills fan.

And even after they cleaned house... they still manage to lose to the dolphins.

Well I guess there's only one thing left to do...

[Makes popcorn]

they look tough in the 2nd quarter of this one. the pack came out quick but y'all secondary is solid. if only the bills had any kind of offense

if only the bills had any kind of offense

I realized that their problem doesn't come from a lack of talent in the offense, but the fact that whoever coordinates them does a really poor job of cultivating their talent. And I can personally attest to the fact that the talent scouts for the Bills don't even have any experience to be working in football at all.

naw, that's not even the issue. the bills consistently find late-round talent that sticks with the team. like, we kept five UDFAs this year, and they're not just bodies - there's lots of skill there.

the issue is that we've never had a consistent rebuilding program for more than a year or so. i know we're rebuilding now, but regardless of how it turns out i think the spiller pick didn't make much sense. troup and carrington (our 2nd and 3rd round picks) are going to be excellent starters maybe as early as next year, but when you've got two starting-quality RBs, drafting another RB at 11th overall is pretty dumb. our new GM was the guy who picked LaToeInjury Tomlinson with the chargers in 2002, and he thought he had the next big thing.

naw, that's not even the issue. the bills consistently find late-round talent that sticks with the team. like, we kept five UDFAs this year, and they're not just bodies - there's lots of skill there.

the issue is that we've never had a consistent rebuilding program for more than a year or so. i know we're rebuilding now, but regardless of how it turns out i think the spiller pick didn't make much sense. troup and carrington (our 2nd and 3rd round picks) are going to be excellent starters maybe as early as next year, but when you've got two starting-quality RBs, drafting another RB at 11th overall is pretty dumb. our new GM was the guy who picked LaToeInjury Tomlinson with the chargers in 2002, and he thought he had the next big thing.

well, you're both right. while you have an abundance of talent in the backfield and in your secondary, other key positions are severely lacking in talent, QB being the prime example. there has been some speed and skill to come through on the outside at wideout but there's nobody with more than just average reliability under center to throw it to them

the bills have had their shots at getting some QBs and instead have fucked around with the likes of fitzpatrick, losman, and edwards.

blah, we have no skill at WR. evans is a WR2 at best - he can get shut down by double-coverage all game and there's no one else to throw to. now that reed's gone, we literally only have one WR who should ever be on the field on any team, and he's not really even that good.

our gm and coach both weren't too high on mcnabb, and since we have terrible weather you can't take a mccoy or clausen, guys with just average arm strength. they'd never be able to make any throws past mid-october. there really wasn't anyone else who was any good - at all - last year in free agency.

blah, we have no skill at WR. evans is a WR2 at best - he can get shut down by double-coverage all game and there's no one else to throw to. now that reed's gone, we literally only have one WR who should ever be on the field on any team, and he's not really even that good.

our gm and coach both weren't too high on mcnabb, and since we have terrible weather you can't take a mccoy or clausen, guys with just average arm strength. they'd never be able to make any throws past mid-october. there really wasn't anyone else who was any good - at all - last year in free agency.

i totally agree on either of those two picks being a bad fit for the bills but mcnabb would have been a good fit except for his bad contract. if the skins wanna deal with him at that age at that price, go right ahead... but for a team trying to rebuild, that was a bad investment.

ugh, your receiving corps is not very talented as receivers... you just got a lot of speed out there (roscoe). because evans can't handle double coverage (as we have seen time and time again) it would make sense to have invested some draft picks in that direction but nothing doin, i guess? it seems so long ago (though it really isn't at all) that the bills started off 5-0 before it all just imploded upon itself.

yeah, mcnabb would have had what, two years behind our line? maybe three? not what we're looking for. i'd rather have a mediocre talent who is younger and might develop a bit as opposed to a known commodity.

they picked up WR marcus easley (6-2, 22x) in the fourth round this year, and he had an incredible camp and then ended up on the IR. awesome.

having TE shawn nelson back from his suspension will help (got two weeks left). he's an incredible receiver, really talented, and came a long way on his blocking last year. we've got a UDFA and a hack we signed a week before the season at TE right now. it's not turning out well.

oh well. the team is what the team is. can't do anything about it this year.