*NO* Tetris (NES) 'Typogressive 3'

djpretzel

you know, the interpetation of the original melody is kinda cool here at first. but then it begins to borrow heavily on the original.

the real problem is just the execution... it's a weird blur -- which by itself isn't so bad, the original has this flowing, murky appeal to it.

however in this case, the sounds don't seem to all co-exist tightly. everything is drowned in reverb/delays.

there is some development, not quite a climax, though.

no

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/tetrisnt.zip - NSF Track 5

I have to agree with analoq, things were pretty cool to start off with on the arrangement side. Lots of countermelody/enhanced arrangement stuff opening up. Seemed to be developing well from :54-1:15 until you went back to the same melody again with exactly the same combination of sounds and elements. Perhaps try to more prominently rearrange the source material in your second iteration of the melody to present some fresh ideas and development.

The new stuff from 1:41-2:15 wasn't bad as well, but then you went into just another iteration of the melody with another synth added. Bring that idea in earlier, but again, go for a bit more on the rearrangement side and alter some note progressions to give it even more of your own expanded interpretation. Like analoq said, there was some development, but no climax, so you're gonna have to fashion a stronger overall composition so that your ending doesn't seem so weak.

On the production side, I'd prefer to hear some presence in the high-end as well as not letting the reverb and/or delay effects be quite as strong. Lots of good stuff is in place, Eon, so keep at it on this one if you're interested.

NO

Everyone knows I love my reverb, but this whole mix sounds drenched in one reverb. Everything sounds wet, muddy. For the kind of style, instrumentation here, I question how appropriate it is.

Definitely plodding, but not in any relaxing or interesting way. It's just a little dull. I like the first sections and last sections of the mix. The rest of it is kind of all potatoes, where's the compositional meat here?

Not bad, keep at it eon. When your mixing skills mature to the point of your design skills we're going to be in for a treat. This however I think is average. Keep at it. I hope to hear more from you soon.

NO