Sign in to follow this  
djpretzel

OCR02159 - Super Meat Boy 'mAEt b0y'

Confession: I listen to this only for those electronic/guttural/reptilian voices that go "eye, eye" starting at 0:44 (and to a lesser extent, the squeaky/meat grinder-wrangling followers at 0:46-0:47 and elsewhere).

Not that the rest of the mix doesn't stand out. Positive: I like how the piano sounds both delicate and sinister. Negative: some of the volume swells and wilts, while they definitely add to the chaotic atmosphere, are a bit uncomfortable for my ears.

Still, something about those alien vocals makes me think I'm looking into the paranoid mind of Meat Boy (I mean, he DOES have a jelly-like lower right eyelid and an Alfred E. Neuman grin. What's not to take away from that?). The surrounding insanity in this mix is like a perfect complement to the vocals.

Like a lot of ameri-dubstep this is a bit constantly full-on with no dynamic changes, leaving the listener exhausted and not pleasantly surprised. Ergo: more dynamic contrast (in terms of both instrumentation and volume dynamics) would've been useful.

Very clever title, like it. The mix itself may sound static & repetitive a bit, but I actually enjoy it. I also don't hate dubstep, so this song is okay with me in this way as well. The usage of piano and choir really helped to vary this mix, so I'm glad AE put them here. Nice job!