*NO* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team 'To the Hill of the Ancients'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: TheGuitahHeroe (or just TGH)

Remix Name: "To the Hill of the Ancients"

Game: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team

Song arranged: "Great Canyon"

Here's an ambient, chippy, electronic, upbeat remix of one of the best songs from the PMD series.

I feel like I hit a breakthough with this one, as it's my first remix created entirely using FL Studio (yeah, so-long Mixcraft XD). Every instrument was found free on the internet, mostly from Free Sound Vault. I used FL Studio 9.

Even if this remix doesn't get past, I would like to take the opportunity to thank the people at the WIP forums: Emunator, and especially Rozovian, who was the one who really inspired me to get on the remixing scene (if you could call it that). Rozo (I call him "The Doc," lol) has helped me immensely with all of my WIPs, and has taught me a lot about music, and for this I owe him much gratitude. Ectogemia also provided useful feedback on the forum, thanks to Ecto as well.

Well, here's the remix:

And the source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_yTNr8cyU

There's not really much else to say, other than I hope you guys enjoy :D

----------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ty1fEqzQ2U

• 2 weeks later...

I love how crazy the lead is here, and the rest of the track supports it pretty well. I do think a touch more of delay would help it sit slightly better in the track, but it feels good enough as is to be ok.

Arrangementwise, this goes in some pretty interesting places, and thugh some sections feel a little on the liberal side, everything felt well integrated. The breakdown section worked well and , the outro was like a fadeout, except actually written that way, and the little flourish at the end helped give a sense of closure.

Overall I feel this has a good ratio of old and new, and the production stands up as being unique and clean.

Yes

Love this source tune, and actually most of the PMD soundtrack (in your face, Grandpa Vig). The treatment you've given this is pretty natural, and quite a bit of fun to listen to. The soundscape is well chosen, and the arrangement is a nice expansion on the original melodies.

Here's to hoping there is more Mystery Dungeon submissions!

YES

• 1 month later...

Great sound design and effects here; the instruments aren't that high-quality but the overall soundscape is very nice. The lead went a little off-the-rails but to an acceptable degree. I did think the mixing was off, the pads took up all the low-end and the other instruments needed some of that space. The dynamics were off as a result. 1:07 was the weakest section in this, exposing the thin piano and too quiet to maintain the energy.

There's no one element that's holding this back for me, but the combination of mixing and so-so samples (particularly the drums) makes me want to say NO. The arrangement is great, don't change a thing there. Just try to get the soundscape a little bit better balanced and improve what samples you can. You may even get the pass this time, depending on how others feel.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

LOVE the lead synth work. you're making my squarewaves look bad, ya chump! :3

I agree with Vinnie's points here. I can roll with the relatively simple instrumentation (drums are weak though) and the arrangement is sick. the bass needs more low end though, and some of the highs could actually be pushed back a bit; dunno if it's the lead or pad, but there is a constant somewhat shrill frequency from 1:28-1:57. pad gets a little hot at 2:20 and hogs the soundscape a bit during the next section (which is epic btw; nice drop :D).

I know by now you've got what it takes to really put this over the top, but I feel it is a pass as it stands, with a really strong arrangement and fairly clean production despite it's flaws.

YES

I agreed with Vinnie the most on the production, and I'm not getting why OA called the production "clean," when it definitely was not.

Opening piano sounded stiff and fake, but was serviceable since it was obscured by the synths and string pad that came in shortly afterward, and then sounded like it have a bit more delay on it to give the notes more body. String pad wasn't great either, but again, used reasonably well enough. The mixing was too murky and indistinct until all that padding dropped out at :38. Again, not brutal, but on the low end of serviceable.

After :38, things cleared up nicely for the introduction of the melody. I could see some people put of by the melody being so busy, but different strokes for different folks. The high-end for 1:28-1:58's section was blistering, ouch. All of that really needs to be EQed to take some sizzle off the highs.

Poor separation for 2:25-2:54's section. The lead synths were very grating, yet had no clarity, just like 1:28-1:58; not sure how you were able to do that, but Achievement Unlocked. The extended ending sequence from 2:55 until the close was solid, and I was really digging it. The very end was a weird finish that I wasn't feeling all the way, but it wasn't a big deal.

The arrangement was pretty solid overall and an easy YES. The production, on the other hand, really needs another pass before this is posted. It doesn't have to be perfect, Jamison, but for a 192kbps file, the off-kilter mixing makes it sound like it's 64kbps. Take another shot at the production and clean that sumbitch up. :-)

YES (conditional on mixing)

EDIT (5/24): To close this out, I'll go ahead and change my vote to NO, per DS's recommendation and encourage the production touch-ups mentioned in the previously conditional YES. You're hitting that critical period where your arrangement chops are there, but the production chops aren't. It's not quite apples to apples, but WillRock, OA and Level 99 were consistently in this boat back in the day, so don't be discouraged and keep at it; you'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Larry, I think you should just NO the mix. I don't think the production is quick-fix enough to just warrant a conditional YES.

Great arrangement and lead sequencing, but those drum samples are so lame, and there are a lot of parts where the mix gets really hot. There's a lot of sizzle on those pads. Needs a lot of EQ work; rebalancing, that kind of thing.

Love that piano at the end. Really solid.

NO

Hmm I dig it. I'm liking all these pokemon remixes that sound nothing like the original. This thing kept my attention. The production is pretty clean and crisp, but there are a few things that really need to be addressed:

Some points are exceedingly bright thanks to the pad that comes in around the half way point. Sooo much information from 8-20kHz! Aside from that, I thought the leads were too loud.

A couple quick fixes, and this is pretty solid.

NO

Not a favorite tune of mine from the original PMD (it has no reason to loop right there), but nice job extending it with flair. Those hot sections at 1:28 and 2:25 are for sure the weak points; bring down those leads and clean up the balance so you can hear more of what's going on. I love the dynamic range in this, but I think the quieter sections may actually be a tiny bit too soft. That may just be because those bigger sections are so in-your-face that they make everything else seem puny in comparison.

This one's almost there. It just needs a little more TLC in the mixing and it's good to go.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, lots of high-end hiss at 1:28. It's a problem as well at 2:25. Seems like your pads are the big offenders here. It got a bit fatiguing on the ears after a few listens. Otherwise, there's general clutter/muddiness that needs to be cleaned up at :10 & 2:25.

As mentioned, the samples weren't the greatest (drums especially), but that alone wouldn't be cause for rejection in my book. You've actually done quite a good job crafting a nice soundscape from free samples, which def isn't easy to do.

Arrangement checks out here. Nice expansion on the source melodies. Leads get a little crazy, but I can dig it.

So definitely get those high freqs under control and work on mixing balance.

No, resubmit please