SpaceChem

DarkeSword

SPACECHEM

http://www.spacechemthegame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/92800/

I recently picked up this game on Steam. It's probably one of the best puzzle games I've ever played.

You play as an engineer responsible for synthesizing compounds out of raw materials. You do this by shifting atoms around, splitting molocules and recreating molecular bonds, and making sure nothing collides. It's a combination of programming and spatial reasoning, and it's pretty brilliant.

It even features YouTube integration so that you can upload your solutions for other people to watch. Here's

Does anyone else play this game? I really recommend checking out the demo. It's pretty awesome.

No you don't really need to know about chemistry. It's more of a logic/programming game than a chemistry game.

I found out about this game when it popped up on Steam. I downloaded the demo and I discovered it was rather substantial. I've been playing the demo for a couple of days now and I just finished it today, so I decided to pick it up. Well worth the $15 I spent on it.

No you don't really need to know about chemistry. It's more of a logic/programming game than a chemistry game.

I found out about this game when it popped up on Steam. I downloaded the demo and I discovered it was rather substantial. I've been playing the demo for a couple of days now and I just finished it today, so I decided to pick it up. Well worth the $15 I spent on it.

Damn, well maybe next time. I could use something with flashy lights and techno background music to help me learn chemistry.

I was actually rather intrigued by that, I may just have to grab that demo.

Played and enjoyed already. It helps that I'm a computer engineer, my brain's already half-wired for the computational side of things. These are all variations on finite-state machines, with spatial and topographical limitations there to make it a challenge.

Does the game have special 'achievements' or the equivalent for efficient solutions (minimal time / complexity)? That would take the cake for me, since it helps push for better solutions.

You see, I'm torn about checking this out, simply because I like to leave any knowledge I have to use for my work-work AT work-work. Hearing talks about finite-state machines makes me immediately think this is some edugame trying to farm my brain!

But no, seriously, any game that demands more brainpower and makes that extra exertion enjoyable is a game doing something right. Will probably check out the demo.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...