*NO* Kung-Fu Master 'The Beatrix Remix'

djpretzel

Hello OCRemix!

Attached is my first remix to be presented to OCRemix - Kung Fu Master (The Beatrix Remix). It's a Funky up-beat remix of the original in-game tunes from the 1985 Berkley Softworks C64 version of "Kung Fu Master".

Hope you like it!

Name of game ReMixed: Kung Fu Master

Platform: C64

Name of individual song ReMixed: Kung Fu Master (The Beatrix Remix)

Remxer Name: ARE BE

Forum ID: 17044

http://www.lemon64.com/music/sid/GAMES/G-L/Kung-Fu_Master.sid - Subtune 1/5

Heh. Same soundtrack as Kung Fu on the NES. Not a bad effort here, sir. After the intro, good use of the backing chords from the source tune coming in at :16 functioning as the base of your mix. Well played, Reuben. Liked the more familiar melody of the source coming in at :49.

Headed into original/freestyle territory from 1:02-1:30 while retaining the arranged backing chords from the source. Arrangement ideas stayed fresh at 1:30. 1:46-2:03 hit another original section, and then proceeded to another iteration of the source melody at 2:03 with some subtle changes and original expansion ideas working until the end. Sweet arrangement, IMO, for such a minimal piece.

So why am I going NO? Production. Hate to do it on those grounds, as I don't do that habitually and don't like doing it now, but the sound is a bit too imbalanced. Tone down the high-end, as the activity there is too loud and hissy and (really) distracts the listener from the more melodic work going on. And fill out the spotty mid-range, so this doesn't sound as rough and distant. The beats tend to drown out the melodic activity, but just tonining down the high-end would probably be enough. Check out the ReMixing forums here in case you need any help on that front. Simple resubmission to me. Hope to see it again really soon. I've seen your name around the Commodore scene and hope we hear from you again.

NO (remaster/please resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Really fantastic arrangement for such a small source tune. It's under 3 minutes, but that's expected when your source tune is about 10 seconds.

Anyway, I like what's going on; groovy beats, nice synths, good variation. I gotta agree with Larry though. High freqs are too hissy; I'd like to get a reEQed version.

NO (resub)