Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Clem

Sources:

(Back Hall)

Remix (old version): http://tindeck.com/listen/hwzt

Latest version (Amnesia: The Dark Descent spoilers!): http://tindeck.com/listen/otrg

This one is a little different from the mixes I've done in the past. It's very ambient, and I made a point to build most of the synth patches from scratch. I think it turned out quite well.

I've never done anything like this so all crits are welcome.

Also, to anyone reading, if you haven't played Amnesia you probably should because it's pretty awesome. (just make sure you have spare undies on hand)

EDIT:

Source Breakdown

0:00-1:07 Main Theme

1:07-1:55 Original

1:55-2:19 Back Hall

2:19-3:13 Main Theme (reinterpreted quite a bit, but still there pretty clearly, I think)

3:13-4:01 Original

4:01-End Back Hall

New version: http://tindeck.com/listen/dvko

Well, it's not really something you would rock in your car I suppose.... More experiments in sound design here. Kinda dubstep style stuff. The first couple minutes are pretty much the same as the last version. The new stuff starts after that.

I made it sound really nasty and evil. I'm worried that some of it might sound like a complete mess, so I'm knocking this back down to WIP.

Let me know how it all turned out. In particular I want to know if the first couple minutes are still just too damn boring.

EDIT: Please note, there are now spoilers to the game in this track!

I have a shred solo I did over a song from Amnesia. I'll have to dig that up. Amnesia wasn't really scary, but it was a great game.

Anyway, as for it being "un-interesting" I don't agree. It's ambient, it's supposed to provide atmosphere and that's what this does quite well in my opinion, though some of the synths sound a little too happy. There's also lots of different parts to keep it fresh. I didn't find myself bored. I like the part where the snares first come in. I don't really like the glitchy part though because it clashes with the sound effects imo. I would've liked the parts with the creepy narratives and such to be a bit calmer and a bit more spooky musically.

All in all, I'm really diggin' it.

Amnesia wasn't really scary

No way, dude. This game had me nearly pissing myself. Maybe I'm just a baby :<

some of the synths sound a little too happy

This is definitely not my intention for this track. If you be more specific I'll address the issue.

I don't really like the glitchy part though because it clashes with the sound effects imo

I was worried about this. You're talking about the part at about 3:13 right? I'll mess with this part to make it more subtle.

I would've liked the parts with the creepy narratives and such to be a bit calmer and a bit more spooky musically.

Fair enough. I'm not sure I'll do much about this cause I already have the really mean stuff all put together and I'm reasonably happy with it. I might mess around with it a bit...

I have a shred solo I did over a song from Amnesia.

Sounds cool, I like a good shred solo \m/(>_<)\m/

Thanks for the review

No way, dude. This game had me nearly pissing myself. Maybe I'm just a baby :<

My only issue was when you enountered the monsters, you basically just had to run around a couple corners and crouch down in the darkness for a minute to escape.....I don't recall ever running into the same monster twice. It was like they just vanished. Made it less scary for me. The atmosphere is unrivaled though.

This is definitely not my intention for this track. If you be more specific I'll address the issue.

It's at the part where Daniel first starts talking. I should be more specific in that I don't mean the tone is too positive sounding but a few of the harmonies do. I'm not sure what all you have going on for chords there etc but maybe something a bit more dissonant? I dunno just personal preference really. It's actually not a strike against the track in my opinion as it still sounds freakin' awesome.

Fair enough. I'm not sure I'll do much about this cause I already have the really mean stuff all put together and I'm reasonably happy with it. I might mess around with it a bit...

Hey if you're cool with it no problem. Again a preference thing. I really like it though and it's great to see Amnesia gettin' some love.

Here is a new version: http://tindeck.com/listen/otrg

Nothing too major. I added some more voices to complete the narrative. I modified the harmony on the part where Daniel comes in just a little bit. I tried doing some more dissonant stuff but I wasn't pulling it off. There are other little tweaks throughout as well...

I'll move this to finished now.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me start by saying FUCK YOU, AMNESIA. YOU MAKE IT SO HARD TO GO TO BED SOMETIMES. ARGH WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU SO GODDAMN SCARY?!

Second, I highly approve of you doing a remix of the, albeit limited, music present in this extremely atmospheric game. And also thank you for being so patient as we mods get back to our backlog of things. Three weeks is a long time to wait and your patience is greatly appreciated.

The problem with this is how minimalist the original theme is to begin with. I'm not the kind of person that's currently able to evaluate CotMM-style remixes (which this is heavily reminiscent of in parts), but I'll do my best.

Production is... quite slick actually. The drawback is that the Main Theme is hard enough to pick out as it is because of how it is written, but you've done a good job of making it pretty apparent what's what.

Oh god some of the things you've done with the voices are supremely creepy. Some of it is a bit over the top where it feels almost like a gimmick, but it is seriously just on that line between "brilliantly used narrative" and "overuse". I wouldn't recommend changing it at this point, as it stands about the same chance with the judge's panel right now.

I'm finding it very hard to find criticisms here, as I really am highly enjoying what you've done in this track.

I'm giving you a good-to-go for submitting this, and I am also eager to see what the judges say as this is the first mix of this kind that I've encountered. Best of luck, and know I'm keeping this on my "creeped the fuck out" playlist for a very long time.

Hah wow. This is pretty cool. I'm digging the feel here. Like Level 99 said, the main theme is very hard to pick out because the original itself seems to be more atmosphere than music. Very interesting use of effects and SFX to increase the feel of "creepy as fuck".

My worry is that there is too much original material amoungst the source, which I fear quite a few people on the judges panel might have trouble finding. I love it and I wish you luck, but don't expect this to get yes'd for certain, and if it doesn't, its really not anything you've done wrong per-say - I find you've nailed the feel you're going for here. Good luck!

Btw, source Back Hall is one of the most beautiful sources of music i've ever heard from a video game. Fantastic find :D

Good luck!

Thanks, it seems like I'll need it :smile:

Btw, source Back Hall is one of the most beautiful sources of music i've ever heard from a video game. Fantastic find :D

Yeah, it's really excellent. When I first got to the back hall in the game I just sat there and listened to the music for a while. It was especially effective since it showed up just after a particularly stressful part of the game.