OCR02270 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Dark Shores of Hyrule"

djpretzel

Always been a fan of this source, it's about the same thing as the ending theme from LttP, and this is definitely a different take on it. Definitely enjoying the low key take, it's not entirely... uplifting, or completely negative, it's kind of got that ebb and flow of life to it.

It's also quite short, not unlike the original, which I guess makes sense given the relative simplicity of the source. In any case, I'm digging it!

Edit: I also just realized what soundtrack this really reminds me of, NightSky! This could totally randomly come on in the middle of that game and fit right in!

• 2 weeks later...

After listening to this one I have to say that it is great just the way it is. Anything more would have detracted from the piece as a whole and taken away the more simplistic theme that it seemed like the remixer was going for in the first place. I like it, I love it, and I can't wait to listen to more in the future!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I remember being kind of torn over this track when it came out.

Part of it was namely because it's hard to do anything with the Ocarina of Time title music because of its blandness, and part of it seemed to be down to the basic production behind it; I recall the recording still having that trace of hiss, which seems to bring it down in regards to a clean level, not to mention the awkward dynamic shaping during the buildup and a rather straightforward arrangement outside from the nice solo work past the 1 minute mark.

But getting away from the criticisms there, the resemblance to Steve Pordon's work is there, and the soundscape work managed to capture a more ethereal take on the source material. It has that pretty approach, it works, and I appreciate it at face value for what it is.

Don't be too discouraged with the feedback; while I do indeed see more that could be done, I really hope that you'd come back for more. From what I'm seeing here, this is still a promising debut :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a short peaceful mix that captures a picture of resting on the beach with the waves swaying back and forth. It doesn't pretend to do anything other than set a peaceful mood that drifts on, which makes this a perfect mix for the shortness. A nice addition to the collection, I hope to hear more of a similarly peaceful nature! (or surprise everyone :) )

• 2 weeks later...

The acoustic guitar tone is excellent, not for it's clarity... but for it's emotion.

The fact that it feels very slightly out of tune is even more moving.

The lead guitar is contrasting, providing a nice melody line for the ReMix.

The waves that play throughout give an excellent feel of relaxation.

The ReMix is a great one to wake up to in the mornings. It makes me feel calm.

• 2 months later...

This is such a wonderfully calming mix. Elaborate doesn't neccesarily equal good and this is an excellent example of this. Simple yet well done. It invokes a feeling of calm not found much in music anymore. I use this song as part of my yoga mix and meditation music. I certainly hope to hear more songs like this from you in the future. Thanks! :)

May the Force be with you.

• 8 months later...

So the wind and waves sound effects were something I don't think I've heard play through most of ReMix before, and it was a nice setting setter. The acoustic guitar made this very relaxing combined with the wind and tides, so this is totally something that would do for those moments when you just need some peace. These are some dark shores I'd love to visit for sure.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02270 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Dark Shores of Hyrule"