FBRC - Felix's 9-bit Funk (don't pretend you're not interested)

Gario

Hey all! Heralding from the Freshly Baked Remix Challenge, I came up with this remix of

for the NES. I'm considering subbing this one to OCR, so are there any thoughts on it? There are a couple of things I'm eyeing myself, but I'd like to hear a second opinion before I spit shine it and send it to the J's.

Felix's 9-bit Funk

(By the way, for those that saw this in the compo, I changed the name because I don't want two mixes with the 'X feels Y' naming scheme posted under my name :P).

All in all a really cool sound.

I dig the arpeggio section starting after 1:13 (though there's more of f-zero running through my head :twisted:)

The transition part after 1:50 feels tacked on as it doesn't really connect. Maybe it would work better with a white noise swoosh and "dipping the rest under water" and bringing it back out till 1:57

It still lacks in the drum department in term of pressure (kick, snare) and the interaction with the bass. As that one is strong but doesn't really get the support it needs. Aim for a kicking ballz 8)

For the main leads I would lower the reverb so that smeared up feeling goes away.

• 2 months later...

I actually made some fixes about a month ago, but I stopped working on it simply because I had other obligations (and continue to have them for the rest of the year, at least). May as well give you guys the update with the fixed drums (original link is the update). The drums aren't as punchy as you might like, but this was just an update that brought all the drums up a few notches.

I wanted to ease one of the transitions a bit better, but I just can't find the time to do that right now. If y'all think this is submittable then I'll go ahead and send it in, or if it's still just the drums I can beef them up really quick.

Damn Gario, I love your writing style. The way you use chiptunes doesn't even make them feel like chiptunes, they feel so... modern. Insane man. I was blown away by "Attracted to Power," and a bunch of my friends who I showed the track to were as well. I'm really looking forward to this week's mix from you in the WCRG! Keep writing cool shit!

I love this song Gario. It is indeed funky. The muffled intro makes me think I'm walking into an old school arcade or something.

Yeah about the only thing that bothers me is that the drums do sound kind of weak. Particularly the snare sounds kind of fuzzy and I think it would sound better being a bit snappier. The song is a little short overall, but I don't think it matters too much cause it's so upbeat. The timing on the ending echo sounds off to me too. It sounds like the delay time should be a bit shorter. Other than that, good stuff! :)

• 2 weeks later...