*NO* Dr. Mario 'Ice Hunt'

OceansAndrew

Contact Information

· CJthemusicdude

·

· CJthemusicdude.com

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Dr. Mario (NES)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Chill

Name of remix: Ice Hunt

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix: If anyone is confused as to the meaning of this song, I direct your attention to 1:45 at

. Regardless of whether or not this song passes, I would like to thank the people at the WIP forum for giving me plenty of feedback as I worked on this song.

• 3 weeks later...

This arrangement is super awesome and fun. No qualms there.

The vocals are the biggest strength and the greatest weakness of the track, with a few pitchy sections in the verse, and the way cheesy lyrics, but an overall infectious (see what I did there) vibe. The synths seemed a little thin in some spots, and lacked a lot of movement, but they kind of fit the 80's mood of the track, and the balance is good enough. The little sound effects interspersed worked really well, and the ending was charming. I think the melodic structure is cutting it a bit close to the original, but the expansion provided by the vocals makes it unique enough.

I think this song itself is going to be really polarizing, but I think it's unique charm has earned it a shot, and while it's close for me, i'll give it the nod.

Yes (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

This is cute! The lyrics are cheesey as all getout, but I think they are also charming in their own way. You've presented the melody in a catchy way, and listening through a few times I thought I'd get annoyed at the repetitive chorus, but it managed to keep my interest throughout.

On the flip side, I'm feeling like the background is overall sparse, and I think you could do more to fill things out. I'll also agree that the mood is there, but the synths are lacking that movement that really adds some flavor. The vocals are cute, and the voices work well, although there are definitely some intonation areas. The transition to the chorus at 3:57 felt awkward with that pause as well.

I can see this passing, but right now I think there's some more you can do to clean it up and polish it. I'm going to send it back at ya.

NO (please resubmit)

• 5 weeks later...

Hah, this is definitely the most fun arrangement I've heard from you yet, dude. It's gonna be a very close call though, since it still does suffer from a lot of the same issues as your other submissions that I've judged. The biggest one here is simply a lack of unique sounds - you're working with the most generic bread-and-butter synths all the way through, and when you take away the vocals there's just not that much going on. They're reasonably well-produced, but the backing track is kind of sparse and very simplistic. Some more unique synth sounds with more articulation and personality would really serve this track well, I think.

Aside from that, it's a pretty repetitive track too, I'm hearing a lot of the same fills and transitions used multiple times, which does work to an extent with the song structure you're working with, but it still stands out as an issue to me.

Lastly, the vocals aren't too bad, but there's a few lyrics that just flow so awkwardly, like "ice cream man" in the second verse or a few other lines that are adapted to that same tune. It's little things like that where the lyrics don't quite sync up to the melody that bother me as a listener and make this feel too amateurish.

I've probably been pretty harsh on this, but I actually think the storytelling concept is rather neat. It's got a very cutesy OHC-esque charm to it. But I don't think it's quite ready to be posted in this form. Hope you're willing to retouch this one a bit if it doesn't end up passing :-)

NO (resubmit!)

• 1 month later...

really clean production on this one, definitely your most polished sounding song yet. theres a little muddyness in the low-end during the sections when you have layered basses, and this track still suffers from some generic sounds (the exposed lead around 2:50 wasn't doing any favors).. but again, this time it was well-produced.

on the arrangement end of things, I agree that it was a bit sparse at times but ultimately I agree with OA; it was pretty awesome. definitely a step forward man, keep it up! :)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Let's be clear: if this didn't have vocals, there's no question in my mind it's a reject. It sounds like it was put together pretty quickly - a lot of generic sounds, muddy low-end, and not a ton of variation from the original (though there's some). The vocals... I can't stop laughing. You are entertaining. I don't know how intentional being off-key was but it absolutely added to my enjoyment, so kudos. Ultimately, I don't think I can pass this though. There's way too much I can point to as being lackluster. With some polish on the production and some more original elements, maybe...

NO (resub)

Let's be clear: if this didn't have vocals, there's no question in my mind it's a reject. It sounds like it was put together pretty quickly - a lot of generic sounds, muddy low-end, and not a ton of variation from the original (though there's some). The vocals... I can't stop laughing. You are entertaining. I don't know how intentional being off-key was but it absolutely added to my enjoyment, so kudos. Ultimately, I don't think I can pass this though. There's way too much I can point to as being lackluster. With some polish on the production and some more original elements, maybe...

Correctz! I love the concept. Just polish up the instrumental part. Probably the singing too, but definitely the instrumentation. And that's all she wrote.

NO (resub)