Sonic Adventure 2: Live and Learn Remix

YannickJason

sounds rather interesting. I'd like to see you continue it. But you're not going for vocals are you? If so, I feel the song is going to have to feel a bit "stronger", and I'm not a music critic so I don't even know what I'm trying to say >.>

No worries, I know what you're trying to say. I am trying to find a way to make the leads a bit stronger. As for singing, I am trying to leave it open because I'm still considering putting vocals over it. I want it to be able to stand alone, while still sounding fine if I added the lyrics.

I like the sound of this so far, nice job. The only complaint is that the bass in the intro is a little distracting, if that makes sense. I also think the hat during the intro is a little harsh, but once the main melody starts up, everything sounds solid. It seems like I'm nitpicking, but I guess that's because the rest sounds good.

I like the sound of this so far, nice job. The only complaint is that the bass in the intro is a little distracting, if that makes sense. I also think the hat during the intro is a little harsh, but once the main melody starts up, everything sounds solid. It seems like I'm nitpicking, but I guess that's because the rest sounds good.

Nitpicking or not, it helps me make better music when I get feedback! Thanks.

Cool new drums ya added there :D!

Really cool thing you've got so far, the only thing kinda nagging at me is at 0:24 nothing's really prominent aside from the drums, I had to turn up my volume to hear anything else there. But that might be what you wanted, I'm not sure. The chords there are cool, so just thought that you might want to bring em out

(Also the strings that come in at 1:03 kinda seem a tad too soft as well, but it might be just my personal preference, so disregard this if I'm not making any sense xD)

Looking forward to how this turns out~ :D

I can't say I know what the original source is (link it!), but for a mix in this style, I think there could be a little more instrumentation for filling out the sound. The lower end of the frequency spectrum seems to not be represented as well. The strings sound fake and could use a bit of work too.

Try developing the arrangement further though!

I was planning on remixing this for my own introduction, once I get a mic and midi-board to go with my audio converter, so I'll be frank - the track needs a vocal line. It's not as iconic or as powerful without vocals. Don't get me wrong, the instrumental version was cool and all, but I always loved the original - No. 1 most played video game song on my iTunes at 99 plays, followed by Oh No You Didn't from Mercenaries 2 with 31.

I'm not saying that tracks like this need a vocal line - take a look at Sonic '06's iconic final boss theme, Solaris Phase 2, and the vocal version - His World by Zebrahead. Nobody is willing to remix that, because it's too iconic. Either version, I mean. Live and Learn, on the other hand, I never really picked up on as an instrumental, but Crush 40's version was awesome. Not quite as good as some of their later tracks, but still awesome. The drums are alright, I guess, the bass could be toned down a little, and there still has to be the intro, because that straight-away tells you the source track.

I was planning on remixing this for my own introduction, once I get a mic and midi-board to go with my audio converter, so I'll be frank - the track needs a vocal line. It's not as iconic or as powerful without vocals. Don't get me wrong, the instrumental version was cool and all, but I always loved the original - No. 1 most played video game song on my iTunes at 99 plays, followed by Oh No You Didn't from Mercenaries 2 with 31.

I'm not saying that tracks like this need a vocal line - take a look at Sonic '06's iconic final boss theme, Solaris Phase 2, and the vocal version - His World by Zebrahead. Nobody is willing to remix that, because it's too iconic. Either version, I mean. Live and Learn, on the other hand, I never really picked up on as an instrumental, but Crush 40's version was awesome. Not quite as good as some of their later tracks, but still awesome. The drums are alright, I guess, the bass could be toned down a little, and there still has to be the intro, because that straight-away tells you the source track.

Good to know. Thanks for the advice! To follow up on your point about Solaris Phase 2, yes it is FAR too iconic for anyone to really try and take a stab at remixing. I'm contemplating on vocals for this because, as you said, it needs them. I intended for this version, by all means, to have them. I just want everything in it to be a completely original remix, so I won't add the vocals from Crush40. I might sing it myself, or get someone else to.

And the bass; yeah... in my revise, I'm toning it down. Seemed a tad to harsh for the track. I'll see what I can do about everything in the next edit.

• 4 weeks later...

I think at the moment that the drums are too much louder than everything else, or at least stand out too much. Nothing besides them is getting any spotlight. Are you going to go with vocals? They won't allow the originals, even if they're edited, so I don't know if I'd recommend using any at all... projects with fan vocals, even if the source has them prominently, are very risky. It's the melody most people like, not the words.

I think at the moment that the drums are too much louder than everything else, or at least stand out too much. Nothing besides them is getting any spotlight. Are you going to go with vocals? They won't allow the originals, even if they're edited, so I don't know if I'd recommend using any at all... projects with fan vocals, even if the source has them prominently, are very risky. It's the melody most people like, not the words.

True enough. I might just end up submitting a vocal-less version for OCRemix, while keeping another version just for me. I'll work on the drums and proper EQ soon. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The weird thing is it could go in any direction at the moment...

Those drums are wicked, and the backing synths do the chord progression justic. But it does feel lacking. Vocals would fill the gap, as would an electronica lead, or even an ear splitting guitar lead (although it might be too close to the original)...

Anything really... Can't complain about whats already there though, it is sick :)