Alien Shooter 2 Metal Electronic D'n'B?xD

Mak Eightman

Hello!

The game series was made by SIGMA team(Russia) and had high dynamic and energy sound track.

This one is a.. mmm.. Energetic stuff I suppose. 4 Drum Tracks at same time, crap tone of synths, Bit Machine corrupting some of guitars, maybe you even can find some work for your sub-woofer in this mix.

Well, close to "Finished" but still some issues present.

And if YOU point me on em I'll be VERY HAPPY!! :mrgreen:

After Mod's review:

stats.png

Prev version:

stats.png -- NOT MASTERED

stats.png -- MASTERED

Here is da source:

THANK YOU!!

Right when your rhythm guitars come in, the song should be blaring but it isn't. Lower the drums there, raise the guitars, and use some sidechaining to make it really hit hard. Love the UT2k4 style rhythm guitars here, they really work. Overall the drums are too loud in general, and your synths need to be brought forward a lot more- it's hard to hear any sort of coherent lead. The song could have a lot more bass in general, whether it's an actual bass guitar or just more guts on the kick. It gets some low end here and there, but overall the song just doesn't punch you in the face the way it should- this is mostly because of mixing, the arrangement and playing is more than sufficient. Maybe a fatter drum sound in general would help, although the DnB snare works pretty well. This sounds awesome, keep polishing it and I think you have a good chance!

Much better! My thoughts for this version:

Now I think the drums are a hair too quiet- it's a fine balance, but try leaving everything but the kick and snare at the volume they are now, but bring the kick and snare up just a tiny bit. A little more power in the snare could definitely help- more thwap! The kick could use a little more click too. The whole track is overcompressed, bring the loudness down a bit and it'll give everything some room to breathe. What do you have on your mastering chain? Really close here, awesome job!

I personally think everything is a bit too centered, over-compressed, and muddy.

I would honestly (at least for OCR quality), remove the compression for now, and kind of clean slate the mixer.

Turn the mix down.

Work on EQ of everything, get rid of all unnecessary frequencies. Try to give everything some room. Give your leads some breathing room especially (that lead centered guitar).

The accompanying synths are pretty much drowned out throughout the song. They sort of cut in sometimes, but end up sounding like weird distorted effects that IMO don't end up as intended, and the execution seems lackluster. I'd work on your panning, EQ, and if that doesn't work, using other samples to get the thoughts across better.

The drums are REALLY drowned out, no oomph at all. The highhat I think has room to sizzle, maybe EQ the higher spectrum up a bit? Slight panning? The snare is very muddy.

The rhythm guitar seems panned okay, but it really feels like the rest of the song is competing for the center spotlight.

And your lead guitar, I think honestly that it's just not EQ'd well, it's not utilizing it's best frequencies to stand out, so it sounds subdued, and even if that is intended for the sound you're going for, that sound can be achieved w/out sacrificing frequency ranges and muddiness, and like I said, it is competing (sorry if I am repeating myself here lol) too much for attention. Solo it, listen for a frequency range where it sounds best, and then work the rest of the mix around not crowding it there.

Btw, your cymbals suddenly sound better at around 3:02.

About the writing: I like, I also like your guitar playing, great job. The song has a lot of awesome energy, which is great. I just think the mixing is really the crutch, and some of the accompanying synth choices might be actually taking away from what you've really got going.

That "derp derp chirp" synth especially that seems to play rhythm.

So anyway, good luck w/ this song, and hopefully I wasn't too harsh!

Sounds much better, and so quick too, good job!

And haha, I don't really know which derp derp synth, I guess the one that plays throughout the song (starts in the beginning), but I don't mind it so much now that everything else sounds better around it.

But yeah, a lot of issues have been addressed. It still teeters on the edge of muddy sometimes, but nothing that sticks out or even really bothers me now. Very full.

Also I can't really comment on the bass or low end that well, because I have headphones on, so maybe ask for a mod review?

Good luck!

I think this is really good. Sometimes it seems a little packed, but I think you've done a pretty good job avoiding over-compression. The sound is pretty consistently full and powerful. I really think you did a great job on the percussion, especially the glitchy stuff. The acoustic snare could probably use a bit more crack, but I'm not sure if that's possible with these samples.

The biggest gripe I have is how every time you play the main melody you do in in the same octave, with the same tone, and the same everything. I think it would be really cool if you would change that up a bit by maybe having a synth play it or something like that. Just mix up the timbre a bit, yknow?

Aside all that, this sounds pretty strong to me. Nice job man.