Super Monkey Ball 2 Ocean Stage Remix

SonicThHedgog

Not familiar with the source but very very nice so far!

Now I suppose you want some constructive opinions too so,

At the start of the song, it sounds like you have some sleigh bells goin' on there. Great, but I think they could benefit with some rhythm variations. Nothing too serious, but some variation none the less. Also the last half of what you have so far....drums just stop and it feels rather empty. Add more stuff there! Perhaps some more subtle drums.

I like all the sounds in this song. As a friend of mine would say, the production is "clean and smooth like a Brazilian wax!" So you got that goin' for ya.

Overall, lovin' it so far. Especially for somethin' done in an hour! Make no mistake I'm not asking you to finish it...I'm telling you.

Way too much bass, way too much compression, way too repetitive, timings seem sloppy too. Nice sounds, nice groove, but terrible mixing. This wouldn't make it to the panel. Why are you marking stuff you didn't spend more than an hour on as mod review?

(Everyone, when you mark something for mod review, please include a source link somewhere. If you want us to evaluate your stuff, you can at least make it a little easier for us.)

-

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

I'm not gonna consider this without a source link.

PRODUCTION

-Too loud

-Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

-Timing not tight enough - possibly in the intro

STRUCTURE

-Too repetitive

-Too short

-Abrupt ending

Before I comment on arrangement, you need to provide a source link so this will be a production/structure critique only.

The production is very clean - well done - but this does have some issues. Over compression is the biggest issue here. It feels like you've limited this a little too strong. The side-chaining is done well but with the added limiting compression, this sounds too squashed right now. The intro seems to have some minor pad timing issues, and there is unwanted dissonance in the pad at 2:07 but other than that, performance is good imo. I agree this gets a little repetitive, but the structure is very clear.

I, unlike Rozo, think this would hit the panel (not holding much basis on the arrangement) but I do think that this would be a fairly quick NO due to repetitive ideas, overcompression and the shortness of your remix. Also, 2 minutes of silence is a bit of a no no as well :P

Not a bad start, but if you can find the Ableton file, then fix the compression, expand and variate, and link the source tune and see how it goes. It has potential, would be cool to see this passed in some form.