*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Chronologe Verde'

djpretzel

Interesting, unique arrangement, esp. for a first submission... email sub file Chronologe Verde.mp3 - djp

Contact Info

ReMixer name -- Schmancy

Real name -- Ronak Shah (and Jordan Hehl)

Email address -- schmancy47@aol.com

Website -- N/A

Userid (number, not name) on our forums -- Where is that?

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed -- Chrono Trigger

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed -- Memories of Green, Chrono's Theme

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc. -- On site

Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site -- On site

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. -- Below

Title -- Chronologe Verde

Ah, finally got around to posting this. And, as usual, though the reader would not know, with this being my first mix on here, I am displeased.

It isn't so much that I don't like the way it's turned out, so much as a few flaws with the process. In actual fact, this shouldn't be a game mix at all. It should be a short arrangement of a few themes a friend of mine--Jordan Hehl--handed me a few years ago. More of a mess-around than anything. And he deserves credit for most of the guitar riffs in this. Anyways, it wasn't until about a fortnight ago that I attempted mixing in some other tunes to our work. It turned out fair, since the main theme was somewhat catchy anyways. Still, some major flaws with flow existed, which resulted in a lot of cuts, additions, and general changes to the product. As it turned out, two major flaws remained, both of which were hindered in development by my limited creativity:

1) Abrupt transition

2) Annoyingly short length

And then a third flaw came to mind, also by lack of ingenuity, just minutes ago:

3) The name sucks

Because the song is based on a lot of loops and counterpoints, save a few lines that constantly change, I thought that making the song longer would require using the the same, if not similar, loops. Regardless of whether a loop is catchy or not, I've never felt that extending a song by repeating a segment was healthy or creative. And I honestly couldn't think of much else to do without entirely changing a theme later in the song, which would completely change its voice. So what did I do? I cut it. If it's actually catchy enough that you want more, which I ever-so-highly doubt, set your player on loop.

But it's as Huxley says: "Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can, and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time." Of course, he later relates the same principle to art, which is much more applicatory to the matter at hand.

So on the the positives. Other than some serious volume issues which sometime hinder listening, be sure to pay attention to the many counterpoints and the two themes that rotate around the oboe, piano, and highest acoustic guitar. Also note the two original underlying melodies, other than the opening guitars, in the lowest acoustic (there are four, as well as a rhythm acoustic using a different sample) and in the harp--different phrases each. Especially in the last segments of the song, note the bass strings, if it is possible to listen to, as there are about twelve things going on at once.

Like I said, it's not wonderful, and credit certainly goes to Jordan Hehl for giving me some nifty riffs to build on. There are a few tinny notes here and there I wished I had thought to change, but it just wasn't sitting right. But enjoy nonetheless.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Chrono Trigger" (ct-1-02a.spc & ct-1-02b.spc) & "Memories of Green" (ct-1-05.spc)

The looped nature of all the guitar work makes everything sound rigid and mechanical. The melody finally comes in at :40 along with a loud oboe at :46. Hearing a lot of rythmical ideas dealing with the source theme, but then you just go off onto some random tangents than have next-to-nothing to do with the source material arrangement except for the harp WAY in the back. Stuff's pretty liberal from 1:01-1:36, but we finally get more overt arrangement from 1:36-1:58, then MORE original material until 2:19 that has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger except a lone guitar in the back referencing the source.

It felt like the arrangement of Chrono Trigger took a back seat to the original material here. Sure the tradeoffs between source material and original material are there, but there was too much use of original material while the actual source tune played a very low-volume supporting role. You'll riff on it for like 10-30 seconds, then push it to the background and play all original material on top instead. The source material is obviously there but oftentimes doesn't even feel like the focus of this track. Maybe others will feel differently.

Nice stuff for a first sub, and I'm keeping it myself, but my main issue aside from the source material not being the focus of this track was with humanizing your instrumentation. The guitars' sound too robotic, the piano sounds mechanical and so does the harp. Just work on humanizing all that and stop by the ReMixing forum for some tips.

NO (resubmit)

Good choice to switch the meter to 3/4. Those sorts of things always make for interesting arrangements. This is a highly liberal take on the source material as Liontamer said. When the piano first plays the melody, it sounds nice, but when the oboe joins in it becomes overbearing and shrill. The actual notes the oboe plays are fine, but the tone is painful at times. The guitar work at 1:36 is beautiful. The gradual fade in of the bass leading up to the climactic chord at 1:56 is an ideal opening for the next section. Here the strings are blanketing everything else in an attempt to bring some more fullness, but they end up making things sound muddy instead.

Less repitition in the guitar part would help deal with the robotic feel. Lots more panning, taking more care with the volume of the oboe, and not relying on sustained string chords to fill in aural holes would do wonders for this song. Those technical issues aside, this also needs more direct coverage of the source. This is extra-important when you alter the meter since by default this makes the source less recognizeable. There are plenty of enjoyable moments in this piece, but right now there are too many things holding it back!

n0

Some interesting arrangement + sequencing ideas, and pretty good production values overall.. but I think some of the key issues have already been noted. There's a lacking human element - I think in both the guitar AND the drums which are really sort of just rhythmic placeholders rather than part of an interesting percussive line. At the very least, vary them up a bit and layer more to create a more engaging sound there. In addition, considering the amount of source available, this is too original and too short. I would suggest expanding this one and working in more Chrono Trigger, or at least tying in your own original parts into the source tunes.

NO

Hey, I really like this arrangement. It's pretty unique and it has some nice interpretive ideas. I love the meter change, like Shnab mentioned; pretty smooth transition.

I'm in agreement though that the primary detracting element of this mix is the mechanical sequencing. This really needs a human touch; as is stands now it sounds like everything is pretty much the same velocity. Without the human touch, there's no emotion, and without the emotion, the song is dead in the water.

I recommend spending more time adjusting velocities and trying to give the piece a more organic feel. Right now it's very rough and mechanical, which doesn't work for the instrumentation you've chosen.

NO