*NO* Jaguar XJ220 'Jazzcat Lounge'

djpretzel

Contact Info:

-ReMixer Name: Robert The Devil

-Forum User ID: I tried to register at the forums but have yet to recieve a confirmation emal... this happens to me sometimes :(

ReMix Info:

-Name of game ReMixed: Jaguar XJ220

-Name of individual song ReMixed: Indego (Please note: not a remix of the whole song, just this little bit at the end that I really liked.) -Additional information about game: It's for the Sega CD, so I'm pretty sure it's really obscure.

-Link to the original soundtrack: Uh... you can find some MIDIs from it on www.mirsoft.info or the more commonly-known www.vgmusic.com (though I found it on mirsoft)

-Comments: Yeah, ok, this is my first mix and my experience with mp3s is very limited, so please don't be too harsh :) I basically took the basic chord progression and melody from a MIDI, redid the melody, added some new melody (the original had an 8-bar melody that repeated twice, and then the song was over... I felt it had more potential though.) Then I added new bass and drums. Yeah. My main concern with the Mix itself is that the balancing of volume isn't very good; it feels to me like the bass and snare are a little too quiet compared to the hihat, but I think overall it's a minor technicality that I usually overlook. Thanks for your time, hope it gets approved :)

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/segacd/XJ220-Indego.mid - "Indego"

Thanks for providing the source information. That original sounds pretty cool, even in MIDI form. Racing games tend to have some good stuff.

Submission Instructions & Standards]OCR hosts MP3 files for a reason, and if the sound quality of your submission could easily have been achieved using the General MIDI soundsets of most budget consumer soundcards, it will be rated down in this category. Even if you submit the most ingenious reworking of a game theme ever, with sequencing and programming and chord progression all highly refined, if it clearly sounds like a default FruityLoops demo or General MIDI playback, your submission will not be accepted. An OC ReMix strikes a balance between creatively reworking the original composition and paying attention to mixing and sound quality, and is thus judged accordingly in both of these two areas.

So to be honest, I'm letting you know we're coasting with a solid NO already. But it's on the panel, so let's check out the arrangement content and see if you had anything going on. Seems like from your letter, you're saying you wanted to arrange the material after 2:52 of the MIDI.

Well, to put it short and sweet, I liked some parts of the arrangement. It sounds like the piano chords you used were just taken from the original and beefed up a little bit. Doesn't help that you're still working in General MIDI, so the sound quality is still the same.

The piano is kind of piercing at times. Also, if you already knew the bass & snare were quiet compared to the hihat, I dunno why you didn't address the problem, though I suppose for practicality's sake I should assume you tried.

Rather short remix. It's certainly interpretive while keeping in the spirit of the original, and I don't mean sound quality, but rather staying in the same genre. It's a cool MIDI remix, but you'd be better off submitting it as a remix to VGMusic.

The piano is CRAZY loud with little variety in velocity. On top of that it plays two note clusters out of nowhere when it sounds like it's supposed to be soloing... as though the keyboard is constantly messing up. In the original, severe panning was used to keep the piano from dominating everything. ALSO.. it didn't play the reverse brazillian clave over and over for the entire song.. the piano rhythms changed. Of course, all of your sounds are GMish which doesn't help matters. You chose a neat original and you had the right idea of submitting a ReMix in order to help this game's soundtrack gain recognition. It's too bad that the remix doesn't meet the OCR standards cause you've definitely got the right attitude.

n0

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch, talk about loud piano. Tone that down, and tweak the volumes on the chords so they're not constantly at the same level.

While the mix does sound very groovy, it does also sound very basic in terms of the quality. It's the kind of mix where you might be better off getting someone to attempt to play that piano live to give it "human qualities" as analoq said.

The arrangement is quite creative. It's nice when people take a small part of a piece from a game and try to give it it's own unique shape, rather than remixing the whole thing. I was impressed with the arrangement here, but like Larry said this is probably more suited to being submittied to VGMusic as a MIDI remix.

NO