Super Mario Brothers 3 - Overworld 2 Orchestra

dummy

I finished another remix this weekend, keeping faithful to the original while adding little bits of my own style to it. It's made to sound more closer and intimate than other remixes and less Hollywood. I was wanting to get the feel of sitting there listening to a smaller orchestra go crazy and play some Mario

or SoundCloud

As with my others, I consider it finished, but I'm always trying to learn from each orchestration so any criticism, comments or opinions welcome. I like to keep the mistakes in my music so that I remember the lessons learnt when I listen back to it.

With this piece I felt that looking back it was a mistake to put the choir in there as it sounds out of place (perhaps it's the size, or the timing or just that they're too oomphy). Perhaps staccato woodwinds or strings, or maybe just nothing at all would have been better. Interested in any other crits/thoughts.

I agree that the choir sounds out of place. More concerning to me, however, like I said on the YouTube page, is the bass. It's far too loud for me to enjoy the rest of the remix to its fullest, and the instrumentation choice just doesn't do it for me. It's far too gruff. I'd have gone with some low bouncy strings and maybe a quiet contrabassoon to compliment them. Otherwise, the remix is fantastic and I have no complaints.

Wow, cool and cute!!! Yes it does have an intimate "crazy orchestra" feel. I like the purposeful "mistakes." I didn't find the bass too loud on my monitors. Very nicely produced. The choir however seems better suited for a darker piece, even with the staccato phrases, it is reminding me of the

Even the attack is wrong on the choir, too slow, not keeping up with the super upbeat instruments. Hhhmmm, something is needed there, but maybe something more lighthearted. Nice track! But probably too coverish if you are planning to submit it... can you add some original stuff, or throw in parts of a second melody?

I agree that the choir sounds out of place. More concerning to me, however, like I said on the YouTube page, is the bass. It's far too loud for me to enjoy the rest of the remix to its fullest, and the instrumentation choice just doesn't do it for me. It's far too gruff. I'd have gone with some low bouncy strings and maybe a quiet contrabassoon to compliment them. Otherwise, the remix is fantastic and I have no complaints.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I think the instrument choice is a bit of a mix of personal preference and the style of the piece - I'm a bit of a brass person so the tuba felt natural to me to use, and the close micing of it gives it a nice raspy gruff sound. I don't seem to have problems with the bass - it sits okay on my monitors and headphones.

I have low spicc strings in there, but I like the idea of the contrabassoon on top as I bet that could just equally as raspy, though a little softer - I might try this if I remix a similar piece. I don't have a close-mic'd CB to give it a try in this piece, though.

Wow, cool and cute!!! Yes it does have an intimate "crazy orchestra" feel. I like the purposeful "mistakes." I didn't find the bass too loud on my monitors. Very nicely produced. The choir however seems better suited for a darker piece, even with the staccato phrases, it is reminding me of the
Even the attack is wrong on the choir, too slow, not keeping up with the super upbeat instruments. Hhhmmm, something is needed there, but maybe something more lighthearted. Nice track! But probably too coverish if you are planning to submit it... can you add some original stuff, or throw in parts of a second melody?

Thanks, glad you liked it! The choir definitely doesn't sit right. As you said, it'd work better on a darker, softer piece. Perhaps what would have been better is maybe a recorder or piccolo flute - something high and playful.

Definitely too coverish to submit - that's the thing with most of my remixes. They're either too short or too faithful - just figured I would share here on the forums.

Definitely too coverish to submit - that's the thing with most of my remixes. They're either too short or too faithful - just figured I would share here on the forums.

But that is an easy fix! Just select a complimentary theme, and write a bridge or interlude using that theme, then back to the original theme and voila, instant remix! (with some personal interpretation, of course) Please keep going, this really sounds terrific.

:D I always feel like that's cheating for some reason. Perhaps I will reopen these project files at some point and extend a lot of my remixes a little and make them viable for OCR submission

How is that cheating??? I do that quite a bit. I think it makes it interesting! I typically select two or sometimes three complimentary themes from one game and mash them up in some way... use a backing groove from one song and the melody from another, or as I mentioned write a transition or bridge or passage using a separate tune. As long as they blend and transition well, and as long as you have personalized it all sufficiently and made it into a cohesive mix, I think this is a great strategy. For me at least, it has made creating arrangements easier and faster. Not cheating at all.

edit: caveat - make sure the song isn't a straight "medley." This won't work. If you use a completely separate source tune in the middle, make sure to return to the original you started with for the ending.

Your work is absolute quality... you belong on OCR! Check out their submission standards and jump in here. I predict you will get posted in no time.

How is that cheating??? I do that quite a bit. I think it makes it interesting! I typically select two or sometimes three complimentary themes from one game and mash them up in some way... use a backing groove from one song and the melody from another, or as I mentioned write a transition or bridge or passage using a separate tune. As long as they blend and transition well, and as long as you have personalized it all sufficiently and made it into a cohesive mix, I think this is a great strategy. For me at least, it has made creating arrangements easier and faster. Not cheating at all.

edit: caveat - make sure the song isn't a straight "medley." This won't work. If you use a completely separate source tune in the middle, make sure to return to the original you started with for the ending.

Your work is absolute quality... you belong on OCR! Check out their submission standards and jump in here. I predict you will get posted in no time.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! I have a piece on OCR at the moment (Do Droids Dream of Ramboids?) and I have a Portal 2 remix I did being posted soon. I definitely want to get more things posted in the future though.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! I have a piece on OCR at the moment (Do Droids Dream of Ramboids?) and I have a Portal 2 remix I did being posted soon. I definitely want to get more things posted in the future though.

Ah I see... awesome! And congrats. Well keep up the good work! Your music is a pleasure to listen to.

• 3 weeks later...