Kirby: Grape Garden & Rainbow Resort

Update:

[submitted] //

//

• less abrupt ending (scrapped my planned intro/ending due to technical difficulties)

• lots of mixing adjustments to the low end, and overall

• transition/pad adjustments

• misc tweaks everywhere

I think it's there . . . except for one rendering error on a bell in the intro

Original Post:

These two songs -- Grape Garden and Rainbow Resort -- are originally from Kirby's Adventure (where I heard them), but they've been used in so many Kirby games at this point, they're basically just Kirby songs. (Kirby's Adventure has some of my favorite music, and my first remix ever was Orange Ocean.)

I started this almost two years ago, but I was only able to solve a lot of its problems when I fired it up again a couple weeks ago. I probably won't keep this link up for very long -- I just wanted to get a few impressions and make sure there was nothing too annoying about it. I'm pretty fond of it -- I still have yet to add the intro I envision, and the ending may still be a bit unfinished.

- Patrick

I really liked it! It really does the sources justice, and there's not enough Kirby mixes on the site. I don't really know much about mixing, so I can't offer much constructive criticism.

The ending does sound kind of sudden. Maybe a little fade out before the last note would help?

Also those lower eighth (sixteenth?) notes initially struck me as a little too loud. They're not obtrusive or anything, but I think it would suit the mood better if they were a little quieter, but you probably shouldn't take my opinion very seriously. I'm really new to arranging.

I liked the instrumentation and general feel of it though. You're planning on submitting it right?

Wow this is really pleasant!

The sources are nicely mixed, from what I can tell.

Besides the abrupt ending, you should work on smoothing out that transition around halfway through the mix, where you go back to the Grape Garden theme again.

I have nothing else to say, haha. This is an excellent mix and Kirby rules! :grin:

Not sure if this is a mod review, but whatever. ;)

Sub might be too loud, I hear it interfering with the other tracks. Partial fade-out mid-track, lol. :D Weird transition 1:53, at least line up the note lengths where the first part ends. Not sure about the snare at the end. Oh the traack eend byy slooowwiinnngg dwwwwnn n. Cool. :D

Mostly nitpicks. Really sweet track here. :D

Love it dude :-)

Btw, what happened to your website? Is there anywhere I can find the rest of your tunes online at the moment?

I removed the link from the home page; here's the music -- most of it's outdated and not stuff I'm comfortable showing off anymore -- I just finished school and I'm trying to decide what paths/image I'm going to pursue. I can't decide whether to finish my score portfolio and head to LA for grad school (and grunt-work), to just enjoy myself and focus on playing guitar/singing, or to invest in expanding my electronic toolset . . .

I removed the link from the home page; here's the music -- most of it's outdated and not stuff I'm comfortable showing off anymore -- I just finished school and I'm trying to decide what paths/image I'm going to pursue. I can't decide whether to finish my score portfolio and head to LA for grad school (and grunt-work), to just enjoy myself and focus on playing guitar/singing, or to invest in expanding my electronic toolset . . .

Right on man :-) Best of luck in your future endeavors. If you ever want an extra ear for your new tunes or have any material that you just want to share, feel free to send anything new my way and I can critique/give feedback/whatever, if you'd like.

I love Kirby's Adventure soundtrack, I love Patrick's stuff, I used to love that "Orange Juice" arrangement which was great, and this one is not an exception. What can I say more than keep up the good work ?! :-D

Thanks for the positive feedback guys -- yeah, Orange Juice was my first real remix after coming to OCR for the first time and hearing Mazedude's Bubbly Clouds. Wanna hear something funny? This one is technically my first mixing attempt, about 10 years ago -- two tracks recorded with the help of a metronome and a CD burner that recorded from live input

Rozo, thanks for the listen. I've updated the link in the first post with a revised version that addresses your comments . . . if you could at least run the sub by your ears again I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently working away from home for the summer, and my only option to mix that end of the spectrum is to sit in my car with my mp3-to-cassette adapter. (I think there was a lot of low end craziness coming out of Sculpture that needed some band-specific taming.)

And is the name "Double Rainbow" too corny?