This place has gotten so big.

Hello everybody. I've had OC Remix as my homepage for the better part of four years now, I've been listening to the music from this place at least since around 2000.

I've always been a fan of remixing popular game titles, and have had a large collection of midis stockpiling up til I discovered (and had a large enough hard drive for) an MP3 collection. My largest of course, being of OC Remixes. I became so enthralled with the possibility of being able to make these creations on my own I received an electric guitar for Christmas... However due to my hectic schedule I haven't had as much time as I'd like to practice it.

I'm pretty sure you guys get questions like this all the time and I'm sure there's a dedicated post somewhere in the forum about how to get started learning this fine art, but lets pretend I don't know a bit about what it takes to create music, remixes, or anything of the sort.

I humbly ask. What would you all recommend to get started learning this skill? I've tinkered with Audacity a bit just trying to see what I can do with MP3's I have, but with little to no luck. I figure after over a decade it's time to finally crack down and come to the professionals with their own experienced input.

For the best kickstart consider what type of music you want to write and how you want to go about it (mic recording, synths, samples) Also important is your music skill level, be it formal musical knowledge or practical instrumental ability, but most important of course is what do you wanna write?

For music you really have to "just do it". Also, don't expect to sound like an awesome musician for the first year or two or three (or forever). You really have to work your way up to it.

Join compos. There's a list here - http://ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Participate in PRC, or OHC, or JHC, anything that gives you a reason to pick up your guitar and crank out a song.

(Eventually) learn your tools. For you it seems like it's a guitar, so you may want to try to learn techniques so that you're a better live player. Maybe that's lessons, maybe it's practice, who knows what'll work for you.

Two points: Audacity is beyond crap and people should read the forum/click search.

What's crap about Audacity? It's not intended to be a full DAW. Just because it doesn't have any built-in synths like Reason doesn't mean it's crap. It's very good at what it does.

But for music-making, I'd recommend something with a little more weight. Try Cockos

REAPER.

Audacity is fine for what it is. I use it to master most of my tracks to some degree, and I've used it as it's own DAW when mixing pure live material that I don't want to process, as it's much more precise than many other DAW's (including Reaper) that I've worked with, since it works in ~0.0001 second units rather than a specified division of the beat. It's no Pro Tools in it's own department, but for 95% of the things done by audio engineers it's all you need.

But in all seriousness, if you don't have a DAW other than Audacity then check out Reaper - it's pretty damn good, and unlike Audacity it's a sequencer, to boot.

That she is, good sir. That she is.

... but I'm married. Fuck.

Marriage definitely puts a damper on that... I think I'm going to wait until after grad school to get married, well at least so far that's what life has in store I'm thinking.

On topic (before I get modded >_<):

tumblr_m7afyzXPIi1rp8quzo1_400.gif

^Shit is hilarious (the picture is)