*NO* Tyrian 'Tyramanis'

djpretzel

This is pretty cool stuff. It all melds together nicely to give a nice powerful sound.

It starts off with a questionable sounding piano to me. But then all dance piano's sound fake to me. The mix builds up pretty well into a powerful sounding dance section from about 1:16. My problem with this mix is that it stays the same for pretty much the entire 5:40. Nothing jumps out to grab your attention, there are no dramatic switch ups break sections. The volume of the pieces stays along this flat line that never shifts to grab your attention. Everything is pretty much the same all the way through.

This suits well as a dance mix and nothing is really bad. But I don't think it needs to be 5:40. You could halve the length of the mix and it would still be too much.

The percussion in the mix is kind of bland and doesn't offer any changes at all. the kick is dull, the snare is quiet and sits in the background of the the entire mix, along with the hats. That really needs to change up and become more powerful in the meatier sections of the mix.

Overall, there's nothing wrong with the sound so to speak, it just becomes repetative and bland as the mix goes on, as it offers nothing new. Work on quality over quantity in this case. You need to refine the mix so it's not so long and so the sections that you have stand out and don't all sound the same.

NO

Too much delay, too much unison, too much rhythmic simplification of the source material, too much repetition, and far too long.

The percussion never really sits well with the rest of the instruments. It always sounds like a separate entity. Nothing else really locks together well at all. I don't think I would ever want to dance to this music. The percussion makes too much of an effort to constantly change; there's never any solid dance groove. As a result, the whole song sounds like a buildup to a climax that never arrives. Grossly unfulfilling.

NO

http://www.mirsoft.info/wogm_download.php?data=YToyOntpOjA7czo1OiIxMzIyNCI7aToxO2k6MTEzMDM3NjI1OTt9 - "Tyrian, The Level" & "Camanis"

I didn't mind the piano intro. It's kind of thin and fakey, but at the same time, I think it fits the style. It could easily work in favor of the track. The bassline at :12 is awfully soft and flimsy. Things get going more at :25, but the texture is sparse as hell and the instrumentation is very basic/preset-ish.

The percussion does nothing to fill out the track. Guitar at 1:16 was a decent idea, but of course it sounds too artifical in the performance and now the percussion seems out of place and just doesn't fit the style, and that was without reading the pervious votes beforehand. Some more piano runs added at 1:55, but the atmosphere is really cluttered.

At the 3 minute mark, things finally changed around a bit with "Camanis" being brought in. The transition wasn't very thought out, so it would help to write one. I like the more string-based feel here, but as with everything else, it sounds very mechanical and doesn't flow well. Too long and not a very energetic track, unfortunately. Keep trying to improve, Bren!

NO

The originals had a lot of energy and drive to them, particularly the "Level" theme. I think you had some good ideas here to improve on that, but you stretched them out over 5 minutes. Tightening your arrangement and doing more stuff with the originals would be a good idea. As DS said, making something of a climax would be ideal too. Around 3:00 I thought I was going to hear the addition of new instruments and a new drum pattern, but it didn't really go anywhere. I guess I felt like while this was longer than the originals, it didn't really do much besides stretch them out, rather than interpret them in a unique way, which is what we're looking for here.

On the production end, a lot of the instruments sounded pretty fake, including the guitar, and there was a real overuse of delay. Did you have delay on the drums? It sounded like that, and it didn't sound good. Synths were alright, but could have been better. I think this aspect of the mix could have used tightening too.

Not terrible, but needs some substantial refinement in a few areas. Keep working at it.

NO