*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Monkey Cave Abyss'

djpretzel

Hey there ocremix,

once again, i gave a try at a game remix. this time however it's not trance.

It's a bit experimental is a slight way. I remixed the cave theme from Donkey Kong Country. I kept the same open echoey feel that a cave would have, but gave a slight taste in distortion ( the snare). i also have some great keyboard solos played on old skool square and saw synth to kinda give that electronic feel that supernintendo had. It's a bit shorter then i was hoping for. I was trying to shoot for about 5 minutes and get some more original stuff, and some more arranging, but my brain died at the last minute. 3 minutes is pretty good anyways. the volume is mixed a bit lower to have that cave feel, but also to keep it from killing someone's system. a subwoofer is highly recommended in hearing the bassdrum. turning it up is good too . lol

now if a page comes up saying you have to be a member, just hit back and try again. the site does that from time to time

enjoy,

Brink

ReMixer name - Brink-of-Time

Real name - David C. Jacobson Jr.

Website - http://brink-of-time.sectionz.com

Userid on forums - 5395

Game ReMixed - Donkey Kong Country

Song ReMixed - Cave Theme

Gray Edit: He sent me this PM below:

i submitted a Donkey Kong Remix about a week ago, and I just realized that I made a mistake. The song i remixed is not from the Caves but from the Industrial Area, I haven't played the game in so long, so I wasn;t sure where it was from when i started the remix.

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkc.rsn - "Fear Factory" (dkc-20.spc)

Quick shot on this one. It had some decent ideas, but the execution was lacking. The usage of the samples wasn't expressive enough. The tempo wasn't bad at all, but instrumentation came off flat, particularly the piano, bassline and percussion, leaving the energy low and the soundfield somewhat sparse-sounding. The track was also too quiet, like you yourself mentioned.

The sampled piano was pretty low quality. Notes were running too fast and sounded robotic, resulting in runs like the one at 2:31 that just sound bleh. Not bad, but not a really developed or strongly executed idea. Definitely the potential there to improve though with future works.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't really feeling the production on this one. The percussion and the harpsichord (?) were really far in the back and not powerful at all; the piano was horribly mechanical sounding. The pads felt too wide; in fact the whole thing had a wide sound to it, with nothing really solid in the center to balance things out. Very odd sound.

The arrangement wasn't bad; nice ideas, but the execution left something to be desired. Some tweaking of levels and adjustment of the sounds in the stereo field will help this track, I think.

NO