*NO* DuckTales 'Moon Beats'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/duckta~1.zip - Track 7 ("The Moon")

Not a bad mix. The arrangement takes some liberties without straying too far from the original, yet doesn't seem like it's playing it too safe, which is good. Good development of the arrangement, working well in tandem by constantly shifting the sounds and styles here. Sweet chiptune shot at 2:11. Ending from 3:25 to the close is pretty anticlimatic. Weak way to end it.

Main problem though is that the supporting instrumentation (--> points to the percussion) is sparse, flat and boring, leaving the whole thing sounding mid-to-late-stage WIPish. The patterns are too simple and aren't filling out the soundfield like they should be. C'mon, let's not fight half the battle with the arrangement and then phone in the other half. It's really holding this back substantially.

Spruce the percussion up and pay close attention to whatever crits the other judges may make in order to help this out, and you'd be in a much better position. It has the potential, but it's certainly not realized at this stage.

NO

wow, those rhodes (or electric piano, feel free to correct me, analoq!) are very nice. The synthlead is very nice indeed. I'm loving this so far.

I'll agree with Larry that the percussion could be a little more involved, it sounds quite empty as it is. The samples are basic and could use a little EQ, or distortion or something to give them some extra flare. But they work well enough as they are for me anyway.

Considering that the mix continually builds on the basis, trying new things with the source right the way through, this is a refreshing change from the usual stuff we get that just reuses ideas from the beginning again and again.

I like the extra punch on the kick and snare from the 3:06 point. Although I feel the synths could have built up to something stronger to coincide at that point. Maybe some pads could be introduced

The ending of the mix was a little uninspired too, it deserves a better sounding end.

I'm borderline with this one. I think it sounds great the way it is, but I can easily see this being a lot better with a bit more work on building up the sounds used. The synths are great and so is the arrangement, it just needs a little more to punch it up at the mid-end of the mix.

I'll go with a NO for now, but I would like to see this one worked on some more and resubmitted.

TO pretty muched summed up what I had to say. The variation is really nice, but there's some sparseness that could be remedied by some more mid/high-range harmonic stuff, like pads. I think that the lower sustained stuff drones, especially in the opening. Not a track-killer, but something to think about.

Some deeper percussion could really help this song too.

I really like what you have here, but I think with a little tweaking and filling out of the soundscape, this could really rock the proverbial casbah.

More chiptune like at 2:11 also, please. For great justice?

NO resub plz

TO; yeah sounds like a rhodes to me. This mix has some really nice production values. Effects are used tastefully, the synths are pretty cool, and the mixing is good. Unfortunately they do not carry the piece enough. The groove here (while polished) is pretty dull and plodding. The arrangement is relatively straightforward in my opinion- there is some level of interpretation here but it could use some expansion. As it progresses not much gets added to the harmony or groove either which is sort of lame.. it's the same set of instruments playing throughout. You can do better! Put those production skills to use and whip up some nifty new material, perhaps adding some epiano/synth solos.

Bottom line is that this is enjoyable, but needs some refinement in terms of arrangement.

NO