Just an idea...

FuzzyLizard

I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum, as I had to kinda guess where to put this.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while, but I'm not sure how well it'll go over. I'd like to have sort of a side site for an "OCRemix Movie Scores" kind of site.

The general premise is to take game music and make movie score quality music, releasing them in collections based on the game they're from. The only real rule for the music would be that it has to stick to the general mood of the game that it came from [e.g. Super Metroid would be mostly dark and foreboding, Mario stuff would be poppy and happy, Megaman would be synthy action music, etc.]

It would work similar to how current OCR albums are distributed, with single tracks added to the main OCR site ONLY if the respective artists wish to do so. I'd like to think that this would result in a sort of "what it would have sounded like if the artist had no limitations to work around" project.

Each game's album would probably have to have at least a single judge [though I'm thinking more is better. like 4-6 each.] to compile the collection, and I'm hoping that said judges would be dedicated to keeping the tracks in the right mood/genre.

Any thoughts?

I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum, as I had to kinda guess where to put this.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while, but I'm not sure how well it'll go over. I'd like to have sort of a side site for an "OCRemix Movie Scores" kind of site.

The general premise is to take game music and make movie score quality music, releasing them in collections based on the game they're from. The only real rule for the music would be that it has to stick to the general mood of the game that it came from [e.g. Super Metroid would be mostly dark and foreboding, Mario stuff would be poppy and happy, Megaman would be synthy action music, etc.]

It would work similar to how current OCR albums are distributed, with single tracks added to the main OCR site ONLY if the respective artists wish to do so. I'd like to think that this would result in a sort of "what it would have sounded like if the artist had no limitations to work around" project.

Each game's album would probably have to have at least a single judge [though I'm thinking more is better. like 4-6 each.] to compile the collection, and I'm hoping that said judges would be dedicated to keeping the tracks in the right mood/genre.

Any thoughts?

What you're suggesting wouldn't warrant a separate site at all.

Also, define "movie score". While it's true that film often overuses the standard orchestra with some synths mixed in (looking at you Hans Zimmer and J.N. Howard) movies do have all kinds of music just like video games.

Check out Devastus, Archangel etc. on OCR. They have some badass film score style music.

Which reminds me, this new VGM arrangment I'm working on is going to need someone who knows what their doing when it comes to film soundtrack style orchestral....

What you're suggesting wouldn't warrant a separate site at all.

I'm not necessarily wanting a separate site, but more of a "niche" splinter site.

Also, define "movie score". While it's true that film often overuses the standard orchestra with some synths mixed in (looking at you Hans Zimmer and J.N. Howard) movies do have all kinds of music just like video games.

By "movie score", I'm not necessarily meaning orchestral music*, specifically. I'm actually thinking of something that, in a manner of speaking, channels the mood/feel of the original piece, and the setting that it's used in, and, in essence, creates the music as it would have/might have been, if the artist didn't have the restrictions of 32-bit and earlier consoles. And when released, the music could be used for fan films, possibly after paying a [hopefully, relatively small] licensing fee, payable to OCR, or a fund that OCR endorses.

*I actually would like to see some more orchestral stuff on here, but my list is too long to actually put up the request in the proper forum...

Nothing's really stopping you from gathering whatever remixes you think fit from ocr, rts, newgrounds, youtube, and whatever other sources you want, for you enjoyment. If the tags are intact, nothing's stopping you from passing ocr tracks on to others (can't say for other remix sources).

Nothing's really stopping you from requesting or organizing an album, either. This doens't have to be something just for ocr, either, there's ZREO and MREO already, and as long as you're focused on games that have enough following to have some music folks among the fans, you can probably do the same with any game. I'm sure there are others that wanna hear more movie score-like takes on their favorite games. Drum up some interest in the idea and see where that takes you.

there's ZREO and MREO already, and as long as you're focused on games that have enough following to have some music folks among the fans, you can probably do the same with any game. I'm sure there are others that wanna hear more movie score-like takes on their favorite games. Drum up some interest in the idea and see where that takes you.

Whoa! I didn't know about MREO, so many thanks for that!

As far as "druming up interest" goes, I may give it a shot. With my current limitations, I couldn't really do a whole lot as far as organizing an album. I have no internet at home, and barely any real "free time", due to other responsibilities. :puppyeyes:

I will admit, I didn't realize the request forum could be used for requesting an entire album. The way the rules are written, it sounds as if you can only request a single track per thread, or at least that's how I read them...