Tropes vs. Men in Video Games

Brandon Strader

There's no video series for this. SURPRISED? Well, it's just another way men are being kept down and oppressed into tired, repressive crap roles.

Since there's no video series I will instead display some ways that men are sexualized, or at the very least, stereotyped into a distinct set of basic features.

You've got your buff beefcake strongman who is sometimes possibly also really dumb

1662980-enslaved_character_art_monkey.jpg

Unff... tight pants <3

Gears_of_War_3_Personajes_COG_Marcus_Fenix_V2.png

You've got literally THOUSANDS of main characters with shaved heads, ALWAYS ripped, hot abs

1237687236272.jpg

(Don't worry about page stretching, image detail required)

Is there ever an instance of a fatter character who isn't either totally secondary, or is the VILLAIN? Also, speaking of InFamous:

Infamous-cover.jpg

Bald head. Ripped abs.

But let's take a look at Zeke from InFamous.

zeke_infamous.jpg

Fatter, secondary. Almost completely unnecessary part, a character that really didn't even need to be included. An unimportant fat sidekick.

How are the tropes against men in games any less damaging? I know everyone is in a HUFF about the women tropes thread, but give this some thought. And when you're done, look at this sexy topless pic.

300px-Snow_alternate_outfit.jpg

moobs

I think the simple answer is that the tropes about men is entirely men's fault. If guys didn't want it then they'd stop making these tropes so prominent. If there is evidence that women are in fact perpetuating this trope and men can't do much about it then bring it to the table, too.

For this argument to be valid you would have to prove that there are no female game developers :-)

Plus, the fact that men developers would create these characters doesn't make critiquing the enforcement of over-the-top gender roles in games any less valid

So far this thread is FAR LESS of a time sink than that other one.

Was it crazy of me to think that it would be a bunch of women in here debating the male tropes?

Maybe.... just maybe... this shows how silly that other thread is.

But it's a legitimate thread so feel free to debate the topic. I can't help it if, as dudes, you don't CARE, because we are naturally less likely to care about this stuff.

http://www.pandys.org/articles/malerape.html

Edited by Brandon Strader

So far this thread is FAR LESS of a time sink than that other one.

Was it crazy of me to think that it would be a bunch of women in here debating the male tropes?

Something tells me you don't want to read women discussing the issue in the other thread either.

yes, because there's only one woman that I know of in the other thread posting with any regularity

assuming that "a bunch of women" are going to be posting in any threads on a forum that has less than ten active female members that I can think of is, yes, crazy

so you're implying that women don't care about this (non)issue, and as such you've definitively proved the existence of a double standard

But it's a legitimate thread so feel free to debate the topic.

there's nothing really to debate about this topic because it is a complete non-issue;

I can't help it if, as dudes, you don't CARE, because we are naturally less likely to care about this stuff.

saying men are naturally inclined towards apathetic ignorance might seem like a good justification for your own incompetence at intelligently considering social issues but for the rest of us men who aren't prideful idiots it's actually really insulting

what does this even have to do with anything jesus fucking christ

this thread is a waste of valuable time

Most discussions on social issues in a videogame community ultimately add up to this anyway since social issues are rarely, if ever, solved that way and overwhelmingly only amount to arguments and people wanting to flex their knowledge on the subject as opposed to learning anything from it or forming a task group to actually do something about it.

Think of every 50-100 page thread you've ever seen on here. Did we best sexism in videogames yet? Is the collected quality of Square-Enix titles going back up? Are EA's business practices getting any better? Are we getting any more African-American JRPG protagonists any time soon? What do these discussions actually do to justify all the time and energy going into them?

Ultimately, it goes to waste. Internet debates pretty much only exist so members can get an ego high from flexing their opinions on a subject. That's pretty much the whole reason I'm posting this now. This post won't change anything or inspire anyone to stop doing what they're addicted to doing now, but it gives me a short-term outlet to pretend I'm an authority on anything after a full day of accomplishing not much else.

Same as almost everyone else.

Think of every 50-100 page thread you've ever seen on here. Did we best sexism in videogames yet?

you're a fucking idiot

and I know that it's been a long time since I've gotten angry enough to outright insult somebody on these boards but I'd like to think that I'm justified in doing so this time since it's in response to you implying that the valuable efforts of intelligent people to determine what is best for themselves and for society on a variety of social issues are all a waste of time so as to make yourself feel better about your own inability to recognize your ignorance and stupidity w.r.t a variety of topics

I'd rather be banned for being insulting or whatever than let you get away unscathed with being a smarmy fuck about the feelings and opinions of literally every poster on this forum