PRC255 - We Have A Winner - Using Spells to get Remixes (Spellbound)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 255

PRCv10-21

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

We're already nearing the end of the tenth season of PRC. Last round was one with probably the highest voters / remixes ratio ever. 3 Songs and 9 Votes appeared. The voters didn't fully agree on the result. For example, Yami's double vote almost brought HoboKa back in the race, but he ended on the third place. At the end, OneUp claimed victory.

I've chosen the main theme from C64 game Spellbound. Plenty of source material here, I hope you like the tune.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/computer/commodore/commodore/spellbnd.mid

PRC255.jpg

Source: Spellbound (C64) - Main Theme

MIDI

Game Wikipedia

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by TUESDAY October 15th 2013 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also post the song in this thread if that doesn't work. Then I'll make sure it works.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC255.
  7. The winner of PRC254, OneUp, cannot take part in this round. However, he is free to submit a bonus mix and his vote counts twice.
  8. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Edited by Bundeslang

So I started working on something for this, and loaded fruity loops to be able to use my favorite retro VSTs cuz i didnt feel like building stuff from scratch on Reason. I had almost a complete song and was just writing the outro when FL crashed on me. Reloaded the project (after several tries because it kept crashing) and had only half a song. Then i remembered why I love Reason so much.

Yeah sorry I had something awesome going for this, I may upload the half-song I managed to save later, when I don't feel like bashing my head against the wall anymore.

So I started working on something for this, and loaded fruity loops to be able to use my favorite retro VSTs cuz i didnt feel like building stuff from scratch on Reason. I had almost a complete song and was just writing the outro when FL crashed on me. Reloaded the project (after several tries because it kept crashing) and had only half a song. Then i remembered why I love Reason so much.

Yeah sorry I had something awesome going for this, I may upload the half-song I managed to save later, when I don't feel like bashing my head against the wall anymore.

I used to use Reason as well and it's pretty nice I just hate the piano roll. Also i've only had extreme issues with fl studio 11 so if you are using that I would recommend 10.

Damn it. Got started with 2 hours left. Will never finish.

Maybe one more day will help.

I'll extend the deadline with one day. Probably the introduction of the new MnP contest (having almost the same deadline) and other reasons didn't help the number of entries this round. Maybe one day helps.

Hopefully. I have about 1/3rd done ive been busy as heck and I shouldn't be too bad today I have to go to my school for a bit to give them some papers but then there is the whole inspiration and mood thing and that comes whenever. I will try my best to get this done by tomorrow. Considering I did 1/3rd of it in about a hour and a half it's definitely doable lol. Already working on rewriting the melody in the same key ;)

I'll extend the deadline with one day. Probably the introduction of the new MnP contest (having almost the same deadline) and other reasons didn't help the number of entries this round.
Yeah, the two of you should probably coordinate to stagger the timeframes. Also I think MnP has the more popular source this time--since the winner gets to pick the next round's theme, they'll probably start being more obscure personal favorites the same way PRC is.

FYI, due to popular demand, I'll be restarting RMWtS up again next month. Schedule will be the same as before: enrollment in the first week of the month, remixing in weeks 2 and 3, voting week 4.

I used to use Reason as well and it's pretty nice I just hate the piano roll. Also i've only had extreme issues with fl studio 11 so if you are using that I would recommend 10.

Meh I have FL10. FL has always been a very unstable software, I started using it since version 2.x and it was always prone to crashes and loss of data, while with Reason I've had maybe 1 crash in the 6 or 7 years I've been using it.

I could've loaded Reaper if I wanted to use VSTs but as much as I love reaper it does requires more setting-up than FL to get things going, and I just wanted to do something quick using synth1 and tal-u-no. Anyhoo, with the time extension I may finish the track now, no promises tho.

Yeah, the two of you should probably coordinate to stagger the timeframes. Also I think MnP has the more popular source this time--since the winner gets to pick the next round's theme, they'll probably start being more obscure personal favorites the same way PRC is.

FYI, due to popular demand, I'll be restarting RMWtS up again next month. Schedule will be the same as before: enrollment in the first week of the month, remixing in weeks 2 and 3, voting week 4.

Good to see RMWtS back up. MnP and RMWtS help to keep PRC up as well. I don't see those contests as competition. I might move the deadline with a few days when this fits better with the other contests, but I want to keep the PRC schedule as close to normal as possible (having 26 rounds per year).

Meh I have FL10. FL has always been a very unstable software, I started using it since version 2.x and it was always prone to crashes and loss of data, while with Reason I've had maybe 1 crash in the 6 or 7 years I've been using it.

I could've loaded Reaper if I wanted to use VSTs but as much as I love reaper it does requires more setting-up than FL to get things going, and I just wanted to do something quick using synth1 and tal-u-no.

I've only ever used Reaper, but man has it crashed on me many, many times. Usually it's a specific plugin that causes it, but even besides that it usually crashes on me at least once every other day or so (@ 2-3 hours a day). It's probably the nature of the beast when using VST-based DAWs, 3rd-party compatibility issues and all.

I could've loaded Reaper if I wanted to use VSTs but as much as I love reaper it does requires more setting-up than FL to get things going, and I just wanted to do something quick using synth1 and tal-u-no. Anyhoo, with the time extension I may finish the track now, no promises tho.

Yeah it's probably a 3rd party VST causing the issue. I've only had issues with FL Studio 11 and I have been using it since 2008 I think and any crashes I had were due to 3rd party plugins.

Yaaaaaaaaaay!

I've got an entry in for what it's worth. Put it together in an hour after my daughter decided to wake up at 4:45 this morning -_- Needless to say it isn't my best work ha ha.

ThaSauce seems to be down at the moment (at least I can't access it). If anyone wants to submit a song, post a download link in this thread, or just post that you want to upload a song. In that case I'll extend the deadline with a couple of hours, otherwise voting starts in 15 minutes as planned.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 2 songs. To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to second. Leave the third box empty.

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, they should leave the second and third box empty. They get a free first place bonus if they vote, so it does not matter for the results. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

OneUp has a vote that counts normal, but in a case of a tie his vote decides the winner.

You have until THIS Thursday, October 17th 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC256.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

There's an auto save function in FL, unfortunately I don't think it's on at default.

Also, doesn't Reason have VST support nowadays? Too bad Reason doesn't come with life-time free upgrades like FL.

Edited by OneUp

It's results time.

Total number of mixes - 2

Total number of votes - 5

Maximum Score - 15.

DrumJ8 got my first place vote, but still he ends with 13 points receiving the last place place wooden spoon.

And PRC255's winner is Trism with 14 points.

Congratulations Trism, you managed to win this round. Both of you did a great job.

Trism, you may select the source for PRC256. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix).

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Send your source as fast as you can, but before this Saturday, 19 Oktober 2013.

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC255