Zelda O.O.T - Town Theme + Kokiri Forest: Solo-Piano

Nostalvania

Hello OC remixers!

Here is yet another Ocarina Of Time Solo-Piano remix by me. This is actually the first time I've used two source tunes:

Source 1 (Town):

Source 2 (Kokiri Forest):

And here's the remix: https://app.box.com/s/kr07oq6nge621opm6dgv (Mod Review Version)

I don’t know if it’s necessary but here is a source breakdown :

00:00 - 00:47 Intro (Variation of the town theme)

00:48 – 01:31 Town Theme

01:32 – 01:52 Kokiri Forest ( B part)

01:53 – 02:25 Kokiri ( A part)

02:25 – 03 :15 Town

03:16 – 03 :43 Interlude ( Var. of town theme)

03:44 – 04:03 Town

04:04 – 04:14 Kokiri (B)

04:15 – 04:56 kokiri (A)

04:57 – 05:20 Town

05:20 – 06:05 Ending

Edited by Nostalvania

Markus, you do such a GREAT job with these jazzy solopianos. This one is great too!

You blended the sources quite well. The Kokiri parts feel just a bit stiff to me though, I think it is the timing, parts of Kokiri don't seem to have the same swing as the town portions? I hear it in the first five notes of Kokiri most prominently, but other places as well. The two sources do blend well, but something is just a touch awkward with Kokiri.

The piano sounds generally good with some nice dynamics throughout the piece. You've got a lot of low end (and mid-lows) in the piano though, so there is some mud in some spots, and on some of the louder notes there is what seems like borderline distortion happening. How do you have this eq'd? Have you done any mastering, if so, what?

I think you could dial back the reverb just a tiny bit. Not much, just a drop less.

Fadeout ending? What? Aw, no fair. I KNOW you can write an ending to this. (edit: so I see you ARE gonna write an ending, yay!)

I'd say this is submission worthy after you address these things. Nice work! :-)

Markus, you do such a GREAT job with these jazzy solopianos. This one is great too!

You blended the sources quite well. The Kokiri parts feel just a bit stiff to me though, I think it is the timing, parts of Kokiri don't seem to have the same swing as the town portions? I hear it in the first five notes of Kokiri most prominently, but other places as well. The two sources do blend well, but something is just a touch awkward with Kokiri.

The piano sounds generally good with some nice dynamics throughout the piece. You've got a lot of low end (and mid-lows) in the piano though, so there is some mud in some spots, and on some of the louder notes there is what seems like borderline distortion happening. How do you have this eq'd? Have you done any mastering, if so, what?

I think you could dial back the reverb just a tiny bit. Not much, just a drop less.

Fadeout ending? What? Aw, no fair. I KNOW you can write an ending to this. (edit: so I see you ARE gonna write an ending, yay!)

I'd say this is submission worthy after you address these things. Nice work! :-)

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

The kokiri parts have some kind of a 2 respectively 4 against 3 feel to them, and the first four notes of the theme are actually (almost) straight 8 notes. I think thats probably the reason why it sounds a bit stiff. But yeah, I think my timing wasn't always perfect, maybe I'll re-record some parts. The part at 4:23 is really stiff, especialy the right hand.

As for the mastering: I used a slight low cut and a very slight high cut on the eq. I also used a stereo enhancer, and a maximizer to make it a bit louder.

Yes, there is probably a bit too much reverb, I agree.

The intro is already written, I just have to record it :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for an update: https://app.box.com/s/2izjq5gh6pshtxzhvoyd

The arrangement is now finished. I completely re-recorded the part from 4:04, made it a bit jazzier and there is finally an ending.

I also worked on the eq and reduced the reverb a little bit.

Edited by Nostalvania

DEFINITELY OCR material!

For some parts, especially those based on the Castle Town Market theme, it is hard for me to hear the source tune (and I would consider myself extremely familiar with the OoT soundtrack). This is not necessarily a bad thing, the arrangement is excellent, I just wouldn't notice that it was that song unless I was looking for it.

4:49 to 4:58: This key change smacks of (all right, is almost identical to) the one from "Oh Say Can Yoshi". :-)

5:15 to 5:21: Stretched version of the Super Mario Brothers death tune

5:21 to 5:27: What is this "fanfare" from? The third Brandenburg concerto? ;-)

By the way, how did you make this? Recorded live performance or MIDI keyboard into DAW with piano virtual instrument?

Thanks for the feedback Sauraen!

For some parts, especially those based on the Castle Town Market theme, it is hard for me to hear the source tune.

Really? I think the melody is pretty clear most of the time, and I actually didn't use a lot of variation on the theme. Maybe it's the different key-signature and all those reharmonized chords that makes it a bit hard to hear?

5:15 to 5:21: Stretched version of the Super Mario Brothers death tune

What? I didn't hear that! :-o

5:21 to 5:27: What is this "fanfare" from? The third Brandenburg concerto?

Ha, ha :). No, it's actually from that famous movie with the dinosaurs from the 90s. :wink:

By the way, how did you make this? Recorded live performance or MIDI keyboard into DAW with piano virtual instrument?

Well, I played it in with my digital-piano via midi. The most part of the arrangement was played live but I edited it after the recording (Deleted mistakes, edited some velocities and note lenghts etc..). At 4:25 - 4:43 I recorded the left and the right hand separately ( Boooh! :tomatoface:)

Edited by Nostalvania

Maybe it's the different key-signature and all those reharmonized chords that makes it a bit hard to hear?

Yeah. The melody is simple enough that it makes a huge difference, at least to my ears, that it's played on jazz piano at a quarter the speed rather than shamisen (or whatever) and tambourine.

What? I didn't hear that! :-o
Bb-gb-gb-gb-f-eb-db! (Ab-F-Db.) [Too bad there's no bbcode for musical notation...]
Ha, ha :). No, it's actually from that famous movie with the dinosaurs from the 90s. :wink:
Oh. Yeah. Oops... :oops:
Well, I played it in with my digital-piano via midi. The most part of the arrangement was played live but I edited it after the recording (Deleted mistakes, edited some velocities and note lenghts etc..)
No shame, that's how I have made piano-arrangements too. I'm not good enough to play it live like Bladiator, and manual note input is woefully mechanical (not to mention tedious).

This is really awesome. Those Kokiri parts still feel a little awkward to me, but you said the timing was intentional? Still sounds cool.

Piano tone is really very nice. Dynamics are good. Good amount of bass but not too much. I still hear a teeny amount of distortion buzz on some of the louder notes. I also still think there's a bit too much reverb overall.

I think this one could be a winner. Would you like me to help again with mastering? I could take a crack at it, if you send it dry. Honestly though, it's already really good if you just lessen the reverb a little bit.

Castle town is very clear to me. I love what you did with it. I recommend doing a timestamped source breakdown for the judges though, that will help.

Really very nice track Markus!

This is really awesome. Those Kokiri parts still feel a little awkward to me, but you said the timing was intentional? Still sounds cool.

Piano tone is really very nice. Dynamics are good. Good amount of bass but not too much. I still hear a teeny amount of distortion buzz on some of the louder notes. I also still think there's a bit too much reverb overall.

I think this one could be a winner. Would you like me to help again with mastering? I could take a crack at it, if you send it dry. Honestly though, it's already really good if you just lessen the reverb a little bit.

Castle town is very clear to me. I love what you did with it. I recommend doing a timestamped source breakdown for the judges though, that will help.

Really very nice track Markus!

About the Kokiri Parts: I tried to explain it in one of my previous posts, but probably I failed at explaining :smile:. At 4:04 for instance, I played a figure in my left hand that's based on dotted Quarter notes, which creates a 2 over 3 feeling and since there are no other supporting instruments like drums it can probably sound a bit awkward, I guess. In addition, I think my live timing wasn't always 100% accurate. (It's hard for me to explain this in english,sorry).

I actually can't hear a distortion. I boosted the high frequencies of my reverb plug-in, I dunno, maybe it has something to do with that?

I'll PM you if I need help, thanks :).

Edited by Nostalvania

MOD REVIEW

Ooo, this have sexy written all over it - I really love the jazzy rendition of the sources in here, and you transition them both very well into one another. It's liberal, but I hear more than enough of the source in there; don't worry about being called out on being too liberal here.

I got a giggle at the Jurassic Park reference, but I don't think that'll fly on the judges panel - you'll get a NO, RESUB, almost guaranteed. Otherwise, this is really, really good. Remove the Jurassic Park bit at 5:21 and sub this bad boy, it's pretty awesome. :)

Well, since it's already final, no point in going into detailed criticism - I just wanted to say great work! :D

I think it could be improved with some light background instruments - I can definitely imagine a smooth jazz band there supporting the lead piano. I mean the piano is excellent for sure, but is it enough by itself?

Edited by Byproduct

MOD REVIEW

Ooo, this have sexy written all over it - I really love the jazzy rendition of the sources in here, and you transition them both very well into one another. It's liberal, but I hear more than enough of the source in there; don't worry about being called out on being too liberal here.

I got a giggle at the Jurassic Park reference, but I don't think that'll fly on the judges panel - you'll get a NO, RESUB, almost guaranteed. Otherwise, this is really, really good. Remove the Jurassic Park bit at 5:21 and sub this bad boy, it's pretty awesome. :)

Thanks a lot Gario!

Ok, I think I'm gonna remove the Jurassic Park thing, it was only a joke anyway. :smile:

@Byproduct

Thanks for the feedback. well, I hope that the piano will be enough. Let's see what the judges think.

Edited by Nostalvania