MnP 10: Asterix: Egpyt *Results are in*

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 10: Asterix: Egpyt

asterix-and-obelix-snes-cover-front-34500.jpg

"I decided to go for something a little different, but should still be a lot of fun to work with! I think people could take this one in some intriguing directions."

-Xenonetix

Midi

Youtube(Snes)

Starts: 28/01/2014

Ends: Tuesday 18/02/2014 @ 2PM

Vote Ends: Thursday 20/02/2014 2PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Slight alterations of the source are encouraged, but not required.

2. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

3. Stay relatively close to the source's mood and notation. Refer to the example tracks for reference.

4. Any genre is acceptable, so long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and a good chunk of the notation.

5. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

6. Only 1 entry per participant.

**I will state the voting rules at the voting stage, so as to keep the rule list here as small as possible. I'll also relax the rules on qualative statements about your own works, because frankly, it seems impossible to prevent it from happening anyways, but I would humbly suggest that you try to exercize some discretion about said comments on yours or other people's tracks.**

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and

MnP

Edited by HoboKa

Cool track. Pretty C64 sounding, europeans sure loved their bubbly arpeggios.

I like the premise of this compo. Haven't used midis in a long time, but maybe i'll load it up for some quick fun.

I had this stupid idea way back about a pure midi rip competition. The difference would've been that while you have to keep the rip intact with as little rearrangement as possible, you're encouraged to completely alter and destroy the original feel with wacky sound choices and drastic tempo changes and the like. I used to enjoy making some midirips that were so transmogrified no one could tell it was a rip.

Well, that would be less fun today because seemingly everyone and his mum has EWQL orchestras and the like. You need a collection of cheap soundfonts and wonky synths for the best results :)

Cool track. Pretty C64 sounding, europeans sure loved their bubbly arpeggios.

I like the premise of this compo. Haven't used midis in a long time, but maybe i'll load it up for some quick fun.

I had this stupid idea way back about a pure midi rip competition. The difference would've been that while you have to keep the rip intact with as little rearrangement as possible, you're encouraged to completely alter and destroy the original feel with wacky sound choices and drastic tempo changes and the like. I used to enjoy making some midirips that were so transmogrified no one could tell it was a rip.

Well, that would be less fun today because seemingly everyone and his mum has EWQL orchestras and the like. You need a collection of cheap soundfonts and wonky synths for the best results :)

I think the deadlines are not correct.

Nice pick, I like that source. I remixed it a while ago for PRC156 (anniversary edition).:-D

Wow sounds like this track has some mega nostalgic value for you guys! I might be more inclined to do up a bonus track then :<

Cool concept Nase, might just do that for an anniversary round.

Oh and I fixed the due dates and stuff bunda.

Also, wonky synths and shitty soundfonts are my speciality...hell I think I have more crappy-sounding synths than good ones to this day...maybe I'll put them to 'good' use for a change :tomatoface:

Also, wonky synths and shitty soundfonts are my speciality...hell I think I have more crappy-sounding synths than good ones to this day...maybe I'll put them to 'good' use for a change :tomatoface:

That made me think of another compo concept...the winner picks the source AND the most obscure free sound generator he can find on the webs, like a 5 mb GM soundfont from '97, or a 10 yr old synthedit synth that was just meant for FX.

Then everyone has to use just that. Sort of an extreme, cross platform version of the FL challenge.

I'll stop now.

That made me think of another compo concept...the winner picks the source AND the most obscure free sound generator he can find on the webs, like a 5 mb GM soundfont from '97, or a 10 yr old synthedit synth that was just meant for FX.

Then everyone has to use just that. Sort of an extreme, cross platform version of the FL challenge.

I'll stop now.

100% Modern Talking. Every single sound must be made with the modern talking wavetable from Massive.:tomatoface:

100% Modern Talking. Every single sound must be made with the modern talking wavetable from Massive.:tomatoface:

Massive is way too new and commercial, but you get the idea.

Forget massive and use the rectal anarchy buzz machine from 2001, and you're good to go!

I made up a name for the compo:

Ancient Relic | Sonic Explorations

The relic being the plugin you're meant to explore sonically.

Whadaya expect? On here, i AM OLR. Mwahah

Or atleast its chief representative.

Unless brunzolaitis decides to join the forums. Then i shall be his humble servant.

Any mixes coming? I was gonna do the obvious thing after my first impression and do a C64 cover, but then i started something non-asterix.

Might be able to do something at the end of the week, dunno yet.

Whadaya expect? On here, i AM OLR. Mwahah

Or atleast its chief representative.

Unless brunzolaitis decides to join the forums. Then i shall be his humble servant.

Any mixes coming? I was gonna do the obvious thing after my first impression and do a C64 cover, but then i started something non-asterix.

Might be able to do something at the end of the week, dunno yet.

I hope there are mixes on the way; if not, I can extend the due date. You might find a bonus track in there as well :tomatoface:

Hmm, I haven't thought to cover that one. Lemme pm bundeslang real quick.

Remixers can create a second account on ThaSauce and upload it under that (Sggod89 did this at PRC under the name TrollingOrSerious).

Other options are allowing these remixers to post the link in this thread and upload it yourself at ThaSauce, then edit the username of the song to the remixer who did the song. That seems to work as well.

This trick will not work if you already uploaded an entry yourself, but you could change the username of your song to something else, then upload that second track, edit the username of that and then change your name back.

It would me easier if ThaSauce just allowed double entries, but that isn't the case.

Edited by Bundeslang

Remixers can create a second account on ThaSauce and upload it under that (Sggod89 did this at PRC under the name TrollingOrSerious).

Other options are allowing these remixers to post the link in this thread and upload it yourself at ThaSauce, then edit the username of the song to the remixer who did the song. That seems to work as well.

This trick will not work if you already uploaded an entry yourself, but you could change the username of your song to something else, then upload that second track, edit the username of that and then change your name back.

It would me easier if ThaSauce just allowed double entries, but that isn't the case.

aw crap, forgot to pm you lol. Well thanks for saving me a step there bunda :D

Okay...so judging by the steps needed to do that, I'm gonna tentatively say no to more than 1 entry. I'll put that in the rules section...