Is there any breakcore on OCR?

Necrox

Liquid Neon has a couple older mixes from '01 and '02 that didn't age well but have beats that are somewhat similar to the style of Venetian Snares.

http://ocremix.org/artist/4289/liquid-neon

I haven't heard any breakcore on here, sorry. It's a lesser-used/known genre, and I bet being able to produce legit, good-sounding breakcore is pretty hard, so getting a breakcore vg remix that's good enough to pass the judges panel seems unlikely.

Having listened to some Venetian Snares, their style seemed perfectly fine for the site. Given what I heard from their Rossz Csillag Alatt Született album, it'd be more a question of using VGM melodies extensively while having a melodic theme click with the style of breakcore's beats.

But I don't see it being "unlikely" as far as the feasibility of fitting the standards, just less likely given that we don't have any breakcore musicians around these parts for the time being.

Having listened to some Venetian Snares, their style seemed perfectly fine for the site. Given what I heard from their Rossz Csillag Alatt Született album, it'd be more a question of using VGM melodies extensively while having a melodic theme click with the style of breakcore's beats.

But I don't see it being "unlikely" as far as the feasibility of fitting the standards, just less likely given that we don't have any breakcore musicians around these parts for the time being.

I didn't mean stylistically, I meant more along the lines of the fact that it's probably hard to produce breakcore well in the first place. I could be talking out my ass, though, since I've never tried making any :-P

Liquid Neon has a couple older mixes from '01 and '02 that didn't age well but have beats that are somewhat similar to the style of Venetian Snares.

http://ocremix.org/artist/4289/liquid-neon

Not exactly breakcore, but it's a good alternative.

Thanks for the suggestions! BTW Liontamer, Venetian Snares is just this guy

Edited by Necrox

I didn't mean stylistically, I meant more along the lines of the fact that it's probably hard to produce breakcore well in the first place. I could be talking out my ass, though, since I've never tried making any :-P

Assuming he's doing the traditional kind, it sounds like a lot of stretched, retriggered, gated, and delayed drum breaks at 160~192 BPM. Basically, Venetian Snares is using granulated and/or stuttered drum breaks at high tempos. You can do that with dBlue Glitch (with some occasional automation clips, like on the Grain Width in a Delay, for example). v1.3 is free, and v2.0.2 is $59.95 (I did a little demo of v2.0.2

).

Probably not as hard as Neurofunk or Dubstep (here it's Metalstep, technically) because they both generally ask for particularly aggressive and/or detailed timbres in the basses, but harder than some (not all) DnB, sure. The really dedicated kind of DnB, like

(technically Ambient+Dubstep+DnB), is actually quite hard because, well, if I want to put it in a straightforward way, it kinda falls flat with a half-decent bass patch, but it hits you in the right spot with a great bass patch.

So in short, yeah, it could be pretty hard, but there's harder stuff out there.

Edited by timaeus222

Why hello, technical tim ;)

I know what you're getting at, the whole dubstep thing has lots of technical particularities in the programming and sequencing, which might seem like a "harder" thing to do.

Breakcore is pretty intimately linked to a wider genre field though, which you could call IDM (or, better in my book, "braindance"). Venetian Snares definitely is, anyway.

I can't shake the impression that dubstep is largely a slowed down revision of some dnb elements, infused with a narrowed down, evolved taste of some of the programming madness you could find in braindance of the 90's and later.

What i'm sayin is, dubstep is only "harder" to make because the sound that defines the genre got more specific. If you're looking for music that's hard to recreate, you can find plenty in the breakcore/braindance area. As well as a lot that's pretty simple technically. It's just a more open genre, so you find a little more of everything there.

Couple breakcore-ish old favs (not totally "core" i guess)

No way these things are "easier" to do well than modern dubstep. Maybe dubstep production is more intricate, but that's just one part of making music.

No way these things are "easier" to do well than modern dubstep. Maybe dubstep production is more intricate, but that's just one part of making music.

I'm not actually talking about the specificity of sounds, because that's just for the accuracy to which you convey your inspiration; you get inspired by an artist, and you might try recreating some of their sounds. That's not what I'm referring to. =p

When I mean it is generally harder, I'm thinking of how it just so happens that the really thick bass sounds are almost always done with FM synthesis (and occasionally comb filters), and with FM, it's easy to bring in harsh/unfavorable frequencies accidentally (Rozovian could vouch for that), but at the same time, if done carefully, you can get very controlled low bass frequencies with some nice warmth. Not only that, but FM is so diverse that there's more than just a few bass timbres you can make with it (I made like 12 different FM basses following very similar steps at one point, and they all sounded distinctly different), so choosing one that fits well in context or fits your needs at the time may or may not be easy depending on how picky you are. Another way to put it is that it's almost like a puzzle game with over 1000 pieces that almost all fit into one spot. :grin:

Sometimes it's hard to see that the same way I do because not everyone thinks similarly to me, and I get that it can be the case, but that's just how I see it. ;)

Edited by timaeus222

Well i think i see it. The puzzle piece thing is exactly what i'm talking about. It is like that because the "ideal" soundscape of the genre is highly refined but relatively narrow.

Btw, just "thick" basses are traditionally left to the subtractives. the core quality of fm is complex harmonics, which constitutes the harshness and variety, as you say.